D2 for 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome Back Fish and more importantly what prompted the name change?

You are quite right that the results dont lie some teams have won and some have lost, but the players and teams do change from year to year so comparing results from last year to this year is like comparing apples with orangutans, totally irrelevant. Some teams have improved, others have gone back and some have platued but D2 standard has remained the same.

Guru Out!

Welcome Back Fish and more importantly what prompted the name change?

You are quite right that the results dont lie some teams have won and some have lost, but the players and teams do change from year to year so comparing results from last year to this year is like comparing apples with orangutans, totally irrelevant. Some teams have improved, others have gone back and some have platued but D2 standard has remained the same.

Guru Out!

Was a term of endearment that was given to me by the good people of Werribee & South Melbourne Dist a few years ago, whilst doing some untoward things to gain a little advantage.

That was a few years ago now & sort of changed my demeanor & style of play since then to be much cleaner & fairer. So I outgrew that tag & it didn't fit anymore really.

Another reason was most of D2 knew who I was anyway as I never hid behind the username, so there was no point in keeping it.

But back on topic - you make a valid point

ok

going back to the talk about the strength in the comps-

2009-Penisula were in due to cheating and demoted to D2. made D1 finals in 08. Willy jumped straight up from D3 and won the D2 GF. Therry were 3rd, Glen Eira were middle table and no 2's. Eltham and OWB were similar. Ivanhoe were terrible and same with Yarra Valley.
2010-Banyule were the standout and recruited many players. OPs struggled early and then had a great 2nd half of the season. SMS and Bentleigh came up from D3 and didn't really set the world on fire. St Leo's & Prahran came down from D1; Prahran double dropped and St Leo's stuggled at the start and also had a good second half. Ciavola joined Eltham but went missing, Therry were similar to OWB and Glen Eira started to find depth and came 3rd.
2011- Glen Eira are the standout and recruited many players eg Boyd. JOCs and Latrobe up from D3 and are showing good signs with LaTrobe in particular winning D4 & D3 GFs in the previous 2 years. SMD and Aquinas down from D1 with Aquinas looking to double drop. SMD in similar position to St Leos the year before. SMS stayed up due to the SFL turncoats and OWB are also struggling.
Also to not OPs are stuggling in D1 and pretty much have the same side as 2010.

So basically 2009 was the strongest because of the penisula factor, but 2009 and 2010 sound similar.

just to add to Sayna's words:

Eltham- don't discount them, I think they are just needin to get everyone on the park. Ciavola didn't play against LaTrobe and has being kicking bags of 7 and 8s. Chapman also was playing in the 2's last week for some reason.
SMD- seem to have a few players missing, but still have good players running around, I would expect them to have a good second half of the season similar to Leo's the year before.
OWB & Aquinas- will be the relegated as their teams are rebuilding. Aquinas similar to Prahran in 2010 and OWB similar to Ivanhoe in 2009.

Another observation, looking at the reply numbers and the number of viewings, this Section's thread is clearly the worst performing out of all the divisions. A, B, and D4 all nearly triple in size!!

Thanks for your feedback BigBanga much appreciated, I'll be sure to frequent this board more often.

Like Sayna suggested, I can't see VAFA D2 games this year I can only go on the 2010 & 2011 results....and results my friends do not lie.

To state that Bentleigh were "a middle of the road team" in VAFA D2 & are also a middle of the road team in SFL Div 2, that would suggest that the 2 comps are pretty even in comparison, would it not?

Its cute that Sayna will come on here & defend the standard of D2 or "make allowances," but when it comes from within, Drifter at St Leos who has played D1 & above, it makes wonder "does he have a point?"

Food for thought

Fish

FWIW I think it's great to have you back on this board. And I was taking the p155... knowing full well you are still going around each Saturday and couldn't have seen D2 games.

I think Drifter is simply 'trolling'

While it's true results dont lie ...it's simply not feasible to try to compare a 2009 club/team with the 2011 version.
For instance GE would have at least 9 new Senior players this year and would probably have had the same number of 'newbies' last year...so the 2009 standard of GE iscompletely irrelevant to its 2011 performances.

I wasn't simply defending D2 standard, just saying that with 4 new teams coming in each and every year- it tends to find its own equilibrium. Standard may move a bit up or down, but basically it's never too much different.

Personally I reckon it's what makes the Ammos such a vibrant competition.
Clubs like Werribee, Beaumaris Fitzroy etc can start deep in D4 and keep climbing & playing against teams of better standard each year until they finally reach their best level.

Then they either stabilise, sink or swim.

A few bad yearswould see a big slide, but they can always trawl back up to the top with hard work, good recruiting and by providing a great club environment and level competition.

There's not ever 1 or 2 regular dominant teams year in year out. Nor is there 1 or 2 spuds year in year out. This is a perennial problem for District comps.

In regards to your statment as to if D2 SFL is similar to D2 VAFA, perhaps you and I both agree that it really is.

It's a moot point - but I hope Bentleigh do really well in SFL.
If you guys can focus on your Juniors coming thru the ranks rather than 'boom recruits', I'm sure you'll progress rapidly to the heights of SFL D1.

Haha Yeah a lot a piss-taking from both sides of the arguement. In all seriousness Werribee are a prime example of having a fantastic junior structure & close relationship with the junior club. IMO I think this is mostly the reason why they've climbed into C Grade with good 18-19 yr olds taking the step into senior football & getting valuable experience. I take my hat off to them

If Bentleigh can emulate this even in the slightest, I think we'll do OK in the future, with a lot of good prospects in the U/18s & U/16s coming through. Prospects we probably might have lost had we stayed in the VAFA, due to the travel factor

In regards to your statment as to if D2 SFL is similar to D2 VAFA, perhaps you and I both agree that it really is.

Maybe all this banter was a build up to the Bentleigh segment on SEN last night. It seemed that there was a differing view and that the standard was/is a lot better in Divvy 2 SFL.

But I think its about the same, Bentleigh are mid table and smashed a bottom team last week and I think Banyule would have been smashing all teams in the Divvy.

Interesting to see Ant Hickey dominating in the EFL Div 4. It seems he's made the right move as Heathmont are on fire. They must have recruited a stack of players as they have been no good for a few years.

Selections for this week are:

Aquinas vs. Glen Eira
Emmaus St Leos vs. Latrobe University
Eltham vs. Therry Penola
South Melbourne vs. Old Westbourne
St John's vs. St Mary's Salesian

Aquinas vs. Glen Eira- Boyd to kick a stack and the juggernaut to continue rolling
Emmaus St Leos vs. Latrobe University- LaTrobe are the clear second best team and will easily account for the animals
Eltham vs. Therry Penola- Match of the day, the broady boys should sneak home
South Melbourne vs. Old Westbourne - SMD to win easily as OWB spew about the one that got away
St John's vs. St Mary's Salesian -Jocs to have another big win at home

Aquinas vs. Glen Eira
Eltham vs. Therry Penola

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aquinas vs. Glen Eira
Sainters too strong all over the park -although the Bloods will have some confidence after a W last week

Match of the round easily.
LU really made a statement last week.The Animals were far from disgraced. Toss of the coin. Go with the home team just

Eltham vs. Therry Penola
Broady Boyz to bounce back after a brave performance last week , marred by a nightmare last quarter.

if the Warriors are to win one soonn, it's unlikely to be an away game...SMD by a fair way

JOCS on a roll and to continue this week

My day out to Aquinas College. Arrived to see the main oval unusable and to be told we were to use the bottom oval which was pretty much underwater. Into the change rooms which were absolutely stinking. Three toilets unflushable and full of you know what, players were gagging. Someone brought in a tiny oilburner. Rubdown table in toilet, great! Reserves game Aquinas player injured, no stretcher. Two Glen Eira players injured due to ground conditions. Some senior players refused to risk it on the ground and pulled out. Final irony, we were told we had to clean the visitors rooms!! yeah right.

My day out to Aquinas College. Arrived to see the main oval unusable and to be told we were to use the bottom oval which was pretty much underwater. Into the change rooms which were absolutely stinking. Three toilets unflushable and full of you know what, players were gagging. Someone brought in a tiny oilburner. Rubdown table in toilet, great! Reserves game Aquinas player injured, no stretcher. Two Glen Eira players injured due to ground conditions. Some senior players refused to risk it on the ground and pulled out. Final irony, we were told we had to clean the visitors rooms!! yeah right.

Boy oh boy, did they know how to charge at their canteen. $4 for a pie or hot dog, $2.50 for a softdrink , $6 or $7 for a toasted sanga and $1 for 10 jubes that my daughter wanted. That was after traipsing a mile through ankle deep mud and seeing two women slip a over head going up the hill to get there.

Boy oh boy, did they know how to charge at their canteen. $4 for a pie or hot dog, $2.50 for a softdrink , $6 or $7 for a toasted sanga and $1 for 10 jubes. That was after traipsing a mile through ankle deep mud and seeing two women slip a over head going up the hill to get there.

I forgot to mention, do the senior umpires really get paid? If so, they are taking money under false pretensions!

Two big cracks at aquinas there guys!!! Can't comment on away rooms as I didn't go in them at any stage. The top oval has had a construction site on it for the past 6 months and as such the school side wing is still unplayable. As to the state of the bottom ground, we have trained on it twice a week for the year and have played now 3 rounds on it without incident. We have had one broken nose at training which you can hardly blame on the state of the ground. Not sure how you guys will go in the finals if you have players pulling out because of a bit of mud. Sure it was heavy going but hardly what I would call dangerous. And on a side note Die Hard Fan if you are going to blatantly make up prices for the canteen, at least make them believable.

Two big cracks at aquinas there guys!!! Can't comment on away rooms as I didn't go in them at any stage. The top oval has had a construction site on it for the past 6 months and as such the school side wing is still unplayable. As to the state of the bottom ground, we have trained on it twice a week for the year and have played now 3 rounds on it without incident. We have had one broken nose at training which you can hardly blame on the state of the ground. Not sure how you guys will go in the finals if you have players pulling out because of a bit of mud. Sure it was heavy going but hardly what I would call dangerous. And on a side note Die Hard Fan if you are going to blatantly make up prices for the canteen, at least make them believable.
Maybe they have a price for us and a price for you, but that is definitely what I paid for a hotdog, pie,drink and jubes.

Do you honestly believe your ground is safe? Apart from the water what about the potholes? One of the guys who pulled out did so because he had recent surgery on his ankle and didn't want to take a risk. If you understand the term duty of care then you should have provided a stretcher instead of leaving your player in the mud for 7 minutes. How do I know, I was the timekeeper. Also a scoreboard attendant would have been good instead of a GE supporter doing it. I too got stung for a toasted sandwich and after the game there was a choice of beer or beer. There was one bottle of red wine. We had over 30 of our club staying behind for a drink and we would have expected more. real coollbananas!!!

Do you honestly believe your ground is safe? Apart from the water what about the potholes? One of the guys who pulled out did so because he had recent surgery on his ankle and didn't want to take a risk. If you understand the term duty of care then you should have provided a stretcher instead of leaving your player in the mud for 7 minutes. How do I know, I was the timekeeper. Also a scoreboard attendant would have been good instead of a GE supporter doing it. I too got stung for a toasted sandwich and after the game there was a choice of beer or beer. There was one bottle of red wine. We had over 30 of our club staying behind for a drink and we would have expected more. real coollbananas!!!
Aquanis vs eltham @ eltham - 0 Aquinas players turned up for a beer post match! Therry had 40+ players and supporters until after the annoucements and all enjoyed a couple of beers!

Aquanis vs eltham @ eltham - 0 Aquinas players turned up for a beer post match! Therry had 40+ players and supporters until after the annoucements and all enjoyed a couple of beers!
Firstly,I stayed for a beer after the eltham game,yes our turnout was ordinary but Eltham were lucky to have 10 people in the rooms themselves,It has been addressed and I'm sure someone from Old Westbourne will back me up our turnout after that game was very high.As for the Aquinas ground,yes it was wet with plenty of puddles but what do you expect when its rained all week.I've never heard so much sooking in my life,I thought football was a winter game,do you think we like playing in that crap,no we don't but we don't sook about it.As for the Glen Eira supporters especially the old fool on the hill,what a pack of losers, the dribble coming out of there mouths had to be heard to be believed,hate to see you stumble at the final hurdle,we can only hope.

Firstly,I stayed for a beer after the eltham game,yes our turnout was ordinary but Eltham were lucky to have 10 people in the rooms themselves,It has been addressed and I'm sure someone from Old Westbourne will back me up our turnout after that game was very high.As for the Aquinas ground,yes it was wet with plenty of puddles but what do you expect when its rained all week.I've never heard so much sooking in my life,I thought football was a winter game,do you think we like playing in that crap,no we don't but we don't sook about it.As for the Glen Eira supporters especially the old fool on the hill,what a pack of losers, the dribble coming out of there mouths had to be heard to be believed,hate to see you stumble at the final hurdle,we can only hope.

You just admitted you are playing in crap. We respect our players and as we can see what has happened to your club you don't. I never respected your club when you were last in D2 and I don't respect your arrogance now. After all the crap we had to put up with on Saturday we never wished your club harm unlike you hoping we fall. Did that make you feel warm and fuzzy. Come down to GE and be made feel welcome like all other clubs do and so do umpires. Note the umpire had to have a drink with the GE boys as he was ignored by you guys. Can I keep adding to this or perhaps more people will join the band wagon.

You just admitted you are playing in crap. We respect our players and as we can see what has happened to your club you don't. I never respected your club when you were last in D2 and I don't respect your arrogance now. After all the crap we had to put up with on Saturday we never wished your club harm unlike you hoping we fall. Did that make you feel warm and fuzzy. Come down to GE and be made feel welcome like all other clubs do and so do umpires. Note the umpire had to have a drink with the GE boys as he was ignored by you guys. Can I keep adding to this or perhaps more people will join the band wagon.

Just to declare my interest: I'm speaking about Aquinas, but not on behalf of.

Phantom, I don't think anyone at the club would suggest that the playing surface is ideal. It's far from it and that's fairly obvious. I don't see how that relates to whether the club respects its players? The club is its players. We're all just trying to make the best of the situation. Whatever issues you had with Aquinas in the past, maybe it's time to let it go? Glen Eira looks like it will have bigger things to worry about this year.

port-man_fc - Having zero players turn up for a beer after the game isn't a good look. In our defence, we're a very young side. These guys are still learning what senior footy is about. In the past, the club always prided itself on sticking around in numbers, so I would expect that to improve. Hopefully when you guys come to Ringwood we can have a few extra to make up for it.

Hopefully we can get back to talking footy now.

On this, good to see so many SMS lads stay for a beer after the game saturday at St Johns. Certainly cant knock them for not hanging around.

All the best to the Senior players for SMS who got injured, dreaded knees!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back