D2 D2 Section 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does everyone think of that wonderful finals venue - Central Reserve?
How many Grand Finals have the Pirates won there?
How many finals have the Pirates won there?
How many times have they been favourites to win and lost there?

i herd he was a shitman
played a few games with Braydan "magic" Joyce, seems a good fella. more importantly i ran into a couple of eastern suburbs boys last night who said banyule are a monty to be peninsula this week to cement 2nd spot. i said surely not on form, they said think about it, so i did. ah understand.

Presume you mean "beat" Peninsula? With the circumstances surrounding why Peninsula are in this grade, I wouldn't think a contrived result would go down too well with the powers that be. Most people already feel that they were whacked over the head with a feather when put down to D2. On form they'll win by 100 pts this coming week.

Would have thought that Peninsula are too proud and professional a club to be flirting with form at this stage of the season.

Proud? possibly. Professional? debatable. Successful? yet to win a premiership.
They shouldn't be worrying about flirting with form - they should be 100% focussed on MAKING form.

Do we really think the peninsula can only lose the grand final themselves, or can they get beaten by a better team on the day? That is if they make it of coarse.................We forget that williamstown and therry beat them this year.........

Do we really think the peninsula can only lose the grand final themselves, or can they get beaten by a better team on the day? That is if they make it of coarse.................We forget that williamstown and therry beat them this year.........

Just looking at both ladders, I reckon both top 4s will remain for the finals but the order may change. My predictions:

1st Semi (Snrs) to be Pen v Willy - Willy to win (Are playing better than Penisula at the moment and Penisula have poor form at Cen Res)
2nd Semi (Snrs) to be Banyule V Therry -Therry to win (Will be interesting to see who wins round 18)

Prelim -Penisula to Win

GF- Willy to win

1st Semi (Res) Willy V Therry -Therry to Win (probably will be the best game to watch out of both grades) Which ever team wins this game will win GF.
2nd Semi (Res) Pen V OW -Westbourne to Win (OW Coming good at the right time)

Prelim Willy to Win

GF -Therry (in a thriller)

Thoughts??

Interesting last two rounds in D1 to see who will be relegated out of Sth Dist, St Leo's and Aquinas.

hey fellas,

just checked the ladder in D2 and saw ivanhoe 2nd from the bottom.

what has happened to them this year???

after finishing 3rd last year i thought they would have gone on with it this year.........

can anyone shed any light? injuries perhaps? :confused::confused::confused:

hey fellas,

after finishing 3rd last year i thought they would have gone on with it this year.........

Lost the big bloke in the square for one

hey fellas,

I'll give it a crack. We lost a lot of key players pre season through circumstance mainly.

Ang Pace, Blainey, Lynacoln, Brown, Moussa, Jones, Gallaway, O'Neill, are just a few that come to mind.

In addition a lot of our better players have been injured or carrying injuries. Ryan, McFarlane, Collins, Holland, Healy, Walther & Sloan are ones that come to mind and I'm sure I've missed a couple.

Players like Crapper , Isefo, Oribin & Hanchette have only been available occasionally so all of those things combined have made it tough.

In addition, a lot of the side haven't worked hard enough pre season so we've got our just desserts in many respects.

On a positive, we've blooded many promising young players and there is the prospect of senior players returningg next year.

I'm hoping our stay in D3 will be brief because we were certainly heading in the right direction as a club (and I believe we still are overall).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just looking at both ladders, I reckon both top 4s will remain for the finals but the order may change. My predictions:

1st Semi (Snrs) to be Pen v Willy - Willy to win (Are playing better than Penisula at the moment and Penisula have poor form at Cen Res)
2nd Semi (Snrs) to be Banyule V Therry -Therry to win (Will be interesting to see who wins round 18)

Prelim -Penisula to Win

GF- Willy to win

1st Semi (Res) Willy V Therry -Therry to Win (probably will be the best game to watch out of both grades) Which ever team wins this game will win GF.
2nd Semi (Res) Pen V OW -Westbourne to Win (OW Coming good at the right time)

Prelim Willy to Win

GF -Therry (in a thriller)

Thoughts??

Interesting last two rounds in D1 to see who will be relegated out of Sth Dist, St Leo's and Aquinas.

I think Willy are best placed to win the flag.

Peninsula is talented but slow & I think a big ground may find them out.

Therry will be first out IMO unless Bannister wins games single handedly & Banyule has a chance to upset Peninsula if they run.

My tip is though a Willy-Peninsula GF with Willy to take the nikkys.

I think Willy are best placed to win the flag.

Peninsula is talented but slow & I think a big ground may find them out.

Therry will be first out IMO unless Bannister wins games single handedly & Banyule has a chance to upset Peninsula if they run.

My tip is though a Willy-Peninsula GF with Willy to take the nikkys.

I'm sorry but how can you not pick Peninsula? They have lost 2 games for the year, Round 3 v Willy @ Willy by 15 pts and Round 4 v an inform TP by 1 point.

They have contributers all over the ground and are very quick in the way that they move the ball (not so much with leg speed).

They are clearly the stand out in the competition (as they should be, they are a D1 side and should never of been playing in our division (but thats a story for another day)). They will beat Willi in a GF by 10+ goals

I'm sorry but how can you not pick Peninsula? They have lost 2 games for the year, Round 3 v Willy @ Willy by 15 pts and Round 4 v and inform TP by 1 point.

They have contributers all over the ground and are very quick in the way that they move the ball (not so much with leg speed).

Just opinions Game On, but you said it, leg speed. They have a lot of slow forwards (and rucks) and Willy have many scoring options that will make them hard to shut down given the overlap.

Peninsula are very talented but it's a lot different combatting sides at Peninsula than say Brunswick.

Just opinions Game On, but you said it, leg speed. They have a lot of slow forwards (and rucks) and Willy have many scoring options that will make them hard to shut down given the overlap.

Peninsula are very talented but it's a lot different combatting sides at Peninsula than say Brunswick.

Had a spare 5 mins so looked into this further.

Peninsula
Home P8 W7 L1 F1043 Ag555 %187.93
Away P8 W7 L1 F1005 Ag457 %219.91

This does not back up what you are saying Wamba.

Had a spare 5 mins so looked into this further.

Peninsula
Home P8 W7 L1 F1043 Ag555 %187.93
Away P8 W7 L1 F1005 Ag457 %219.91

This does not back up what you are saying Wamba.

Why not???

Look at the size of the grounds that we play on in D2????

Are they big???

Ivanhoe. No. Therry. No. Willy no. Banyule. Reasonable size. Glen Eira. No. Yarra Valley. No. Westbourne. No. Eltham. Yes. Parade. Reasonable.

I'd say the test is yet to come against quality opposition on big grounds but time will tell.

Talking about grounds, what are the best and worst, grounds you like playing on and grounds they hate playing on?

Ill go out on a limb and say that most people will hate Westbournes, Elthams might be the best ground but having the change room 3 ks from the ground is a little annoying

Thoughts?

Talking about grounds, what are the best and worst, grounds you like playing on and grounds they hate playing on?

Ill go out on a limb and say that most people will hate Westbournes, Elthams might be the best ground but having the change room 3 ks from the ground is a little annoying

Thoughts?

Obviously I'm biased & the surface is ordinary at the moment but Hoe Park's a great venue.

Eltham's a beautiful surface & so is Fearon which has the sea views although I reckon a fence around the ground would make it look better.

Glen Eira's ok & the clubrooms & hill gives Peninsula a bit of atmosphere.

Thoughts?

For the Willy boys it's been a bit of a road trip this year. Had some very far games. Majority of the surfaces shaped up a lot better than ours. The Fearon was very hard all year, and the little rain we had slid off like waters off a ducks back. Probably one of the hardest surfaces and has been tough work pulling up from that every second week.

Eltham and Peninsula would probably be the best quality surface i've played on this year. Very nice grounds. However the distance factor kicks in then.

I agree with Game On in that Peninsula will take out this year's GF quite easily. For mine Peninsula have the most even spread of talent, but also have two of the competitions best players in Rees and Payze. Rees will take out the league B&F IMO.

The Hynes brothers do very well at half back but I think they will be tested against the tall Peninsula forward line. On the flip side Peninsula has a very strong backline and I think they will match up well against Wheeler, Barlow, Gray & Co.

Williamstown's strength is definately the run and carry game, but I think they lack ball winners from what I've seen. If it is a hard contested game I think they come undone. Willy definately have the leg speed advantage, but from my experience that is not usually the telling factor in finals football, wheras winning the contested footy is.

I agree with Game On in that Peninsula will take out this year's GF quite easily. For mine Peninsula have the most even spread of talent, but also have two of the competitions best players in Rees and Payze. Rees will take out the league B&F IMO.

The Hynes brothers do very well at half back but I think they will be tested against the tall Peninsula forward line. On the flip side Peninsula has a very strong backline and I think they will match up well against Wheeler, Barlow, Gray & Co.

Williamstown's strength is definately the run and carry game, but I think they lack ball winners from what I've seen. If it is a hard contested game I think they come undone. Willy definately have the leg speed advantage, but from my experience that is not usually the telling factor in finals football, wheras winning the contested footy is.

Agree with you on Rees Akka. Definitely a key player for them. Payze & Coghlan are keys up forward & Peninsula are the best in the comp at running rotations off the bench.

I think Gray & Cooper are very difficult match ups for any side playing Willy. 6"1-2 and fast.

Why not???

Look at the size of the grounds that we play on in D2????

Are they big???

Ivanhoe. No. Therry. No. Willy no. Banyule. Reasonable size. Glen Eira. No. Yarra Valley. No. Westbourne. No. Eltham. Yes. Parade. Reasonable.

I'd say the test is yet to come against quality opposition on big grounds but time will tell.

how many times u been to therry wamba? def thought it was one of the bigger grounds in the grade. eltham would be the biggest by far but therrys bigger than parades.

how many times u been to therry wamba? def thought it was one of the bigger grounds in the grade. eltham would be the biggest by far but therrys bigger than parades.

Probably played at Therry about 8 to 10 times & would have been out there another 10-12 times to watch games. Would be a reasonably close call but I think Parade's is wider.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back