D4 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
obviously clubs paying big bucks will attract better players, which would be a major reason why the dragons have joined VAFA even though they have a couple of players that would definitely get coin at other clubs.... i remember watching dragons vs lyndale a couple years a go and the pumas looked ok. wouldnt picture them being bottom of the table which surprising me. what happened to reed? he was a gun but i heard he went to jail....

We don't hunt players and throw coin at everyone in order to bring success, although that being said there will be a couple that will be getting something here and there. The selection of Beanie as senior coach this year has been a boom and I would say that 14 spots in our senior line up will consist of new recruits. Very much a positive shift in our culture.
Adam Read is back after having a season off and is noticeably bigger but has not lost any quickness, have to say good luck to anyone who lines up on him. He is a jet.

Mate, you would want to be careful about getting into a debate about which comp is of better standard.
Bentleigh were in Div 2 (VAFA) when they moved across to the SFL and finished top 3 of Div 2 - doesn't say much about the standard.
Most VAFA Div 3 teams would account easily for Div 3 sides of the SFL.

I just love how Bentleigh are getting talked about on a VAFA D4 forum, piss funny. I'll just clear something up, if people are using Bentleigh as a yard stick for a standard comparison between lower grades of VAFA & SFL div 2 then they are grossly misguided. Its like comparing apples & oranges.

In 2010 we had an injury riddled year with 6-9 blokes out most weeks & had the list to be a top 4 side that year - wouldn't have come close to Banyule though. In 2011 we tranferred across to the SFL in Div 2 & got all those injured players back plus 6 or more extra senior players back to the club because of the fact that we were in the SFL & didn't have to travel. Not surprisingly we made the Grand Final by upsetting flag favourites Springy Districts in the prelim (who pay a lot to attract ex Noble Park & ex Keysborough players) because we were disciplined unlike them on the day.

In 2012 we lost 8 players & only recuited 2 & were only 2 games off top spot. In fact the comp was that close that only 2 games separated the top 6 teams. Having played in both the VAFA & the SFL over the past 15 years I'd say the top 6 teams of 2012 SFL Div 2 would not look out of place in VAFA Div 1....and yes this is beacuse they pay decent players decent coin (granted some average players get paid well too ;) )

Southern Dragons have about 100 players to pick from every week making up 4 teams, that is no joke. So the depth is definitely there especially when other teams are struggling during the winter months with injuries. They are lightening quick & Jason Yap #21 is a jet!!

I can see Southern Dragons being in VAFA Div 2 before you can say twothousandandfifteen

Every comp year is different and SFL D2 in 2012 was miles ahead of SFL D2 the previous year.

Tehre is now massive $$$ goin round. Bentleigh finishd with the same win/loss tally as fifth n sixth. they snuck in2 Finals on % and got knocked out in first week. Springy D with their ex-VFL and divvy1 players didn’t even make the Finals even tho they were in the big dance with almost the same team the previous year.

Youd also find that if an SFL all-star D3 team playd an all-star VAFA D3 team now, SFL would win by 30 goals. No exaggeration mate. Maybe VAFA D3 would have won a few years ago.

**cough** we beat Murrumbeena in the first semi last year **cough**
**cough cough** Springy never made no "big dance" because we upset them in the preliminary final **cough cough**

Might need to brush up on your history if you're going to be D4's #1 troll :D

obviously clubs paying big bucks will attract better players, which would be a major reason why the dragons have joined VAFA even though they have a couple of players that would definitely get coin at other clubs.... i remember watching dragons vs lyndale a couple years a go and the pumas looked ok. wouldnt picture them being bottom of the table which surprising me. what happened to reed? he was a gun but i heard he went to jail....

Paying big bucks will not attract better players. What is actually does is pay ordinary players over the odds.
Just because a team pays players, it doesn't mean they are going to be any good.
For example (and I know this is a D4 forum) Vermont played St Kevins in a practice match a couple of weeks ago, Vermont's payroll is around the $250K mark (maybe more), St Kevins is $0. St Kevins lost by a goal.
While I don't think St Kevs are a better side than Vermont, what I do know is that St Kevs would beat any team in the SFL with a payroll of $0.

Paying big bucks will not attract better players. What is actually does is pay ordinary players over the odds.
Just because a team pays players, it doesn't mean they are going to be any good.
For example (and I know this is a D4 forum) Vermont played St Kevins in a practice match a couple of weeks ago, Vermont's payroll is around the $250K mark (maybe more), St Kevins is $0. St Kevins lost by a goal.
While I don't think St Kevs are a better side than Vermont, what I do know is that St Kevs would beat any team in the SFL with a payroll of $0.

St Kevins by the length of the Flemington straight. Top end teams in SFL Div 1 is about the comparison of mid to high C Section in VAFA.

I must say, what the VAFA clubs are good at is networking, that is for sure

I just love how Bentleigh are getting talked about on a VAFA D4 forum, piss funny. I'll just clear something up, if people are using Bentleigh as a yard stick for a standard comparison between lower grades of VAFA & SFL div 2 then they are grossly misguided. Its like comparing apples & oranges.

In 2010 we had an injury riddled year with 6-9 blokes out most weeks & had the list to be a top 4 side that year - wouldn't have come close to Banyule though. In 2011 we tranferred across to the SFL in Div 2 & got all those injured players back plus 6 or more extra senior players back to the club because of the fact that we were in the SFL & didn't have to travel. Not surprisingly we made the Grand Final by upsetting flag favourites Springy Districts in the prelim (who pay a lot to attract ex Noble Park & ex Keysborough players) because we were disciplined unlike them on the day.

In 2012 we lost 8 players & only recuited 2 & were only 2 games off top spot. In fact the comp was that close that only 2 games separated the top 6 teams. Having played in both the VAFA & the SFL over the past 15 years I'd say the top 6 teams of 2012 SFL Div 2 would not look out of place in VAFA Div 1....and yes this is beacuse they pay decent players decent coin (granted some average players get paid well too ;) )

Southern Dragons have about 100 players to pick from every week making up 4 teams, that is no joke. So the depth is definitely there especially when other teams are struggling during the winter months with injuries. They are lightening quick & Jason Yap #21 is a jet!!

I can see Southern Dragons being in VAFA Div 2 before you can say twothousandandfifteen

**cough** we beat Murrumbeena in the first semi last year **cough**
**cough cough** Springy never made no "big dance" because we upset them in the preliminary final **cough cough**

Might need to brush up on your history if you're going to be D4's #1 troll :D

He is great site to watch! I loved his attack on the leather over the weekend. May as well give him the D4 best & fairest already muahahahaha jokesjokes or is it???

He is great site to watch! I loved his attack on the leather over the weekend. May as well give him the D4 best & fairest already muahahahaha jokesjokes or is it???
We all know that Yap is a gun, which are the other players in the league worth watching? Im hearing about a few hot new recruits down at brunswick.....

Welcome to the comp Dragons. I don't really care how good everyone reckons you are. No disrespect meant by that, but I figure we'll all find out soon enough. Likewise the other new boys to the division.
I sure don't care much about comparing divisions and who's paying whom and how much and who beat whom five years ago and blah, blah, blah.
I played against Bentleigh before they went to SFL. They were pretty good back then, but then in the years I've played at West Bruns we've been relegated twice and won a premiership in a dominant season, so teams change year-to-year I find and aside from the familiar old faces (Hi Ruck Machine) you can never really be sure how anyone will go. If someone had've told me after the 08 season that Richmond Centrals would get up to D3 and stay there I would've been very sceptical (credit to Waz for making the necessary changes I suppose). Likewise with Chadstone winning a game last year and being competitive in several others. Mt Lilydale were in D3 a couple of years ago and now really struggling from all reports.
Hawthorn will be smarting after being sent down on administrative punishment, so I reckon it'll be the most competitive D4 in a while.

Would prefer it if we got 18 games instead of 16, means I'll have to find another year in these old bones if I'm going to get to the 150 games milestone. I just want the season to start.

Really though I just can't wait for the bloody season to start, Let's get on with it already.

Why were Hawthorn relegated?? Sorry for going over old ground here

We played an unregistered player in the 2s. He got reported and suspended. The club owned up to it as they didn't want the players, who's name was used, to get the weeks. That was not the problem, the player couldn't make to the tribunal so they signed a stat dec still using the false name.
In the end, we were relegated for providing a false legal document - I think.
Makes sense? Didn't think so.

We played an unregistered player in the 2s. He got reported and suspended. The club owned up to it as they didn't want the players, who's name was used, to get the weeks. That was not the problem, the player couldn't make to the tribunal so they signed a stat dec still using the false name.
In the end, we were relegated for providing a false legal document - I think.
Makes sense? Didn't think so.

No it makes sense, unlucky really as every club does it...except for the fill in player getting reported bit then signing a flase stat dec.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Being a district club in a lower division wouldn't have help their case with the VAFA :eek: :D

Give it a spell Fish. This argument is bloody tiresome, particularly from someone who has not involved with the VAFA for several years. Not everyone in the lower grades has a chip on their shoulder. Hawthorn broke the rules, got caught out and copped their lumps with good grace. Being a district club had nothing to do with it. It is possible for district clubs to climb the mountain – eg Beaumaris and others before them. Just because your club was not up to it does not give you licence to perpetuate this rubbish.

OK OK Jimmyjack was only meant to be tongue in cheek, maybe a whimsical troll attempt at best. Been out of the VAFA for only 3 years not several. I see what you say about District clubs climbing the ladder though & you can add the clubs Werribee, Oakleigh, Parkdale to Beaumaris who have made it to at least B Section. The common denominator between them is that they all have strong junior feeder teams to match it with the Old Boy Collegian sides

Not many clubs will get past D2 without them

Fair enough Fish. I enjoy your posts and generally value your opinions but this view is getting a bit boring. A bit like the unsubstantiated ‘VAFA must pay players” line that gets trotted out each year.

Agree with your sentiments about needing a junior feeder. Personally I believe that Bentleigh had (have) the facilities, geography and links to junior clubs to have done better. Potential to make it to C grade and I reckon that still burns with a few at Arthur Street that they never got there.

Not in anyway suggesting a return to the VAFA but I keep hearing in certain circles that not everyone happy with the move to the SFL.

Agree with your sentiments about needing a junior feeder. Personally I believe that Bentleigh had (have) the facilities, geography and links to junior clubs to have done better. Potential to make it to C grade and I reckon that still burns with a few at Arthur Street that they never got there.

Not in anyway suggesting a return to the VAFA but I keep hearing in certain circles that not everyone happy with the move to the SFL.

Agree with you to a ceertain extent there. With some bias I believe we have the best ground & facilities in the area, however we are in high competition with other teams in the area, fighting for pool of the talented kids. Don't forget we are competing with St Peter's a strong junior club who's kids mainly go straight to either St Bedes or De La Salle. If I think about the talent we've lost through blokes who've stopped playing, players going OS or kids going elsewhere etc I think we could've been a top D1 side probably not quite C Section though. We've also had a couple of gap years where there has been no junior players coming through until now & even then young blokes succumb to others teams luring them away. Shouldn't sob too much about it as every team in the Southern/Bayside area is in the same boat with some junior teams being pillaged by high end VAFA teams not associated with that junior club.

I keep hearing that Bentleigh are not happy with the SFL move, however I only hear this from people associated with VAFA clubs. I've heard nothing from within the club to suggest that this is the case as everyone voted unaminously for the move for the reasons being to keep our juniors coming through that didn't want to travel & bring new players to the club & some past players back.

Although my only qualm about the SFL is the drop in standard from seasons 2011-2012 to 2013 in SFL Div 1 with mass exoduses from 3 teams in that comp, but we are not in the division

Agree with you to a ceertain extent there. With some bias I believe we have the best ground & facilities in the area, however we are in high competition with other teams in the area, fighting for pool of the talented kids. Don't forget we are competing with St Peter's a strong junior club who's kids mainly go straight to either St Bedes or De La Salle. If I think about the talent we've lost through blokes who've stopped playing, players going OS or kids going elsewhere etc I think we could've been a top D1 side probably not quite C Section though. We've also had a couple of gap years where there has been no junior players coming through until now & even then young blokes succumb to others teams luring them away. Shouldn't sob too much about it as every team in the Southern/Bayside area is in the same boat with some junior teams being pillaged by high end VAFA teams not associated with that junior club.

I keep hearing that Bentleigh are not happy with the SFL move, however I only hear this from people associated with VAFA clubs. I've heard nothing from within the club to suggest that this is the case as everyone voted unaminously for the move for the reasons being to keep our juniors coming through that didn't want to travel & bring new players to the club & some past players back.

Although my only qualm about the SFL is the drop in standard from seasons 2011-2012 to 2013 in SFL Div 1 with mass exoduses from 3 teams in that comp, but we are not in the division

By pillaged I assume you mean kids wanting to play high level football for good club in well run competition?

St Peters has been fantastic recruiting ground for De La and St Bedes but this is due to most of the boys going to those schools. Ormond, Oakleigh and a few other clubs have seen a few St Peters boys over the years also but you are correct in what you say.

And I take you point about the return to VAFA rumblings. Have heard the whispers from various sources, not just from within the VAFA but admittedly none from within the inner sanctum at Bentleigh.

To the D4 folk sorry to have temporarily ambushed your forum!

can anyone tell me how to view clearances for individual clubs rather that shift through a squillon names for all grades?

As for me, i'm really starting to get nervous about heading back to Rathmines and look out for those wayward elbows of one Clancy, one Tyson, one Lauletta, one Jackomos...hahaha...

Righto JP! Don't put me in the same bucket as those thugs! Haha.
I also heard Paddy Ryan was training for a comeback just to line up on you! See you Saturday week. I'll bring the beers, you bring the dimmys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back