Rumour Daisy Pearce to Geelong as an Assistant Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree in some respects with Down at K Park - I cant stand 'woke' culture, and I support independent thought. As long as independent thought is open minded. And here is my two bobs worth. We need to find an extra 5-10% to bridge the gap with the best sides. If Daisey helps with that, given we do need to change what we have been doing, then I back the club to be doing this for those reasons. The thing I fully support, is actually Daisy's 7 years as a midwife in a birthing suite - I cannot think of a tougher or better job to develop your communication skills. Real. Tough. Human communication skills. I would punt that she will walk in and already be the best communicator of tough, hard messages amongst the coaches. Maybe that will speed up our players development? I am not buying all this playing experience/low pay whatever usual stuff women have to deal with, I am trying to see what she will bring and I think that there is something there that could lift our overall coaching performance. It is such a shame really that no matter how well or poorly she does, it will mostly be judged through the lens of ''she's a woman''. I am sure she knows that, but I reckon she is tough enough to do it anyway. Anyway, if it happens, I will blame her and praise her just like any other coach, because once she starts, it is wins that will be the main thing Daisy.

As long as the appointment goes to the most meritous, credentialed applicant I don't care who it is.

That person must then have the respect of the playing group, and as you said, must live or die by their results.

I'm not certain her appointment would be totally bereft of wokeness, and nor am I convinced by the quality of footy she played, but I'll back her if the GFC deems her to be the best applicant.

As long as the appointment goes to the most meritous, credentialed applicant I don't care who it is.

That person must then have the respect of the playing group, and as you said, must live or die by their results.

I'm not certain her appointment would be totally bereft of wokeness, and nor am I convinced by the quality of footy she played, but I'll back her if the GFC deems her to be the best applicant.

Bullseye.

It's a bit hard for any AFLW player to compete on games played with an AFL player, even when they've been in the system for the same length of time, based on nothing else other than available games played per season - we're yet to have an AFLW player reach 50 career games due to their shorter season, yet an AFL player can reach that number in their first 2 seasons based on available games

As for Daisy's career prior to AFLW, it makes for a fair resume
VWFL/VFLW

And not sure 200+ games suddenly makes someone a better candidate - one of the highest regarded development coaches & someone that numerous Geelong fans have said they'd like back at the club is Brendan McCartney. He never played at AFL level, and his playing days were spent with Newtown & Chilwell Football Club in the GFL - yet clubs were willing to look past that and give him a shot in the coaches box
What a great record! As for coaching, she will be coming at it from a different angle as women's football is different to the men's game. That is a real opportunity to assist in changing our slow style and trying out new approaches to the game.

Sounds like Hocking and Gil have cooked this one up between them? You never know until you give it a go, but it sure will be a leg up for the PR departmment in the AFLW. The question is "Will she have the ears of the players"? I gather they have been told about it and discussed it? No harm in trying it i suppose?

It shouldn't be, and is ridiculous.

Merit first, merit only. If it's the best person for the job, no problem. Otherwise, don't care.

It may be a way around the soft cap. Eddie Betts is excluded from that, Daisy might be as well on the basis of inclusion. So having an extra two development coaches is better than not having them.

"The accelerated program promises that successful applicants will be employed for two years and be exposed to all elements of coaching including match committee meetings, game day roles and mentoring within clubs.

The positions are co-funded by the club and the AFL, with exemptions in the soft football department spending cap during the two-year period, with six female coaches to be employed across the competition."

I think it's a shame that immediately merit is brought up because she's a woman. Daisy is an experienced player with excellent footy knowledge. She'll do just fine if she decides to take the role. The players will respect her.

I think it's a shame that immediately merit is brought up because she's a woman. Daisy is an experienced player with excellent footy knowledge. She'll do just fine if she decides to take the role. The players will respect her.

'merit' is a necessary assessment with any job applicant. Their gender has nothing to do with it.

Daisy is no different.

'merit' is a necessary assessment with any job applicant. Their gender has nothing to do with it.
But if we were talking about a male player who's just recently retired, I bet merit wouldn't even be mentioned. It seems it only ever comes up when women are involved, which is highly sexist.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But if we were talking about a male player who's just recently retired, I bet merit wouldn't even be mentioned. It seems it only ever comes up when women are involved, which is highly sexist.

I'd be disappointed if it didn't. Surely there'd be discussion over whether he was the best applicant, his experience, footy nous etc?

Just as there'll be a legitimate discussion as to the credentials Daisy brings.

And playing at an almost amateur level as well. Just looks like a woke appointment to me. What could she possibly offer over a more experienced ex-player other than a potentially cheaper pay cheque?

Now i'll wait for the usual mod to delete this post because independent thoughts aren't allowed. As usual.

In her media roles, what could she possibly offer over a more experienced ex-player?

Not sure, but she leaves the majority of the ex male players in the shade.

You ever watch her doing the boundary line and talking with players as they're walking off the ground? Watch her interact with the likes of Selwood and Danger, I detect a real warmth there.

Couldn't disagree more. Every single appointment Geelong makes is scrutinised over and over on here (and has been for years), and the key question are always whether they are good enough to do the job, what experience they've got, what qualifications. That's nothing but merit being discussed. As it should be.

I don't mind it.
I reckon only about 3-5% of all posters on here have ever made it to senior footy let alone the minuscule proportion who make it to the AFL/AFLW.
Pearce not only did that, she was a star player and has spent many years in and around the game which is predominately reserved for blokes (the boys club).

Honestly, this will turn off a lot of people but men need to take a backward step if humanity is to advance. We are our own worst enemy.
The more women who can get to the top, the better we are for it.
It's no different in sports. Different way of seeing the game and perhaps a beneficial asset to the Geelong Football Club.

Daisy would be a great asset to whoever she chooses to go to as a coach or to continue her media career.
It’s a shame the posting in here is so focused on sexist arguments that not only would not but have not come up for other coaches.

We’ve had a lot of new coaches over the last few months and I don’t remember any similar discussions.
Having an understanding on how effective assistant coaches are would have to be one of the more difficult things for fans to asses. Particularly from our club who acts like they’re guarding the nuclear codes with any sort of information about what happens inside the club.

I’m a bit sceptical on the club brining so many ex Geelong players back as coaches. But I think it’s great they have tried to change things around as we clearly needed some change.
There are probably many potential great coaches who are not part of the afl system who should get a go rather than X player who played so many afl games. But hearing the way Daisy talks about footy and her experience as a player and leader in the game would give her a great chance to success as a coach.

I don't mind it.
I reckon only about 3-5% of all posters on here have ever made it to senior footy let alone the minuscule proportion who make it to the AFL/AFLW.
Pearce not only did that, she was a star player and has spent many years in and around the game which is predominately reserved for blokes (the boys club).

Honestly, this will turn off a lot of people but men need to take a backward step if humanity is to advance. We are our own worst enemy.
It's no different in sports. Different way of seeing the game and perhaps a beneficial asset to the Geelong Football Club.

Does it matter if they're qualified or are chromosomes the only thing that matters?

I don't mind it.

As long as her appointment starts and ends with her being deemed THE best applicant.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Daisy would be a great asset to whoever she chooses to go to as a coach or to continue her media career.
It’s a shame the posting in here is so focused on sexist arguments that not only would not but have not come up for other coaches.

We’ve had a lot of new coaches over the last few months and I don’t remember any similar discussions.
Having an understanding on how effective assistant coaches are would have to be one of the more difficult things for fans to asses. Particularly from our club who acts like they’re guarding the nuclear codes with any sort of information about what happens inside the club.

I’m a bit sceptical on the club brining so many ex Geelong players back as coaches. But I think it’s great they have tried to change things around as we clearly needed some change.
There are probably many potential great coaches who are not part of the afl system who should get a go rather than X player who played so many afl games. But hearing the way Daisy talks about footy and her experience as a player and leader in the game would give her a great chance to success as a coach.

That's complete crap. I can remember every single assistant we've ever had being discussed in detail on here. Particularly things like if they've coached anywhere else with success (say Brendan McCartney), what qualifications they had, years of experience and so on.

So are you saying it's sexist to demand each person be selected on merit? Because that's what I want.

That's complete crap. I can remember every single assistant we've ever had being discussed in detail on here. Particularly things like if they've coached anywhere else with success (say Brendan McCartney), what qualifications they had, years of experience and so on.

So are you saying it's sexist to demand each person be selected on merit? Because that's what I want.

It's an accelerated program. I don't know how many times that needs to be said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back