Daisy's Legacy

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's not forget, it was ULTIMATELY the club's decision to let Daisy go, not Daisy's. If the club wanted to keep him enough, then all they would have had to do was match the offer, and there was nothing Daisy could have done.

The two situations aren't that far apart as people think - both players had the choice to stay, and in both instances the club had the choice to keep them. Yet in both instances BOTH parties thought that on current terms, it would be best to part ways.

pick_6_110503_250.jpg

Daisy's Legacy

Bob Rose, give it a break. We played our players nothing, he had a family and was offered a lot more to go play bush.
You can try and sugar coat it if you must, but the great Bobby Rose walked out on Collingwood for $$.

You were having a go at Dale for being a mercenary, well he is in pretty good company with Bobby, Leeter Collier, Des Fothergill, Tuddy and Thomo just a few club LEGENDS who put $$ ahead of loyalty to Collingwood.

PS Have we welcomed Nick Davis back?
N.Davis left for $$ ? News to me, i always thought it was to live in Sydney??

Davis a Sydney boy, who suffered bouts of homesickness in his few seasons with us, eventually decided he wanted to live in Sydney. Pies were upset that he left the decision so late....nothing to do with money.

Any different to Rocca leaving Sydney? I'm sure Sydney people were unhappy that they wasted resources on Anthony too...sh1t happens, players own personal lives and happiness take precedence over football.

I think some fans forget that footy players are actually just real people.

some are more money orientated 'mercenaries' if you will morgoth, some are mummy's boys, some have substance abuse issues, some have gambling problems, some go through relationship breakdowns etc.

Dale is a Collingwood premiership player, good enough contribution for mine.

People need to understand that the players aren't as passionate about the clubs they play for as some supporters.

In fact, in most cases, they are asked to put their passions aside the moment they get drafted and switch to the club that drafted them. They need to put aside the club of their fathers, and their father's fathers, and their family, and their childhood heroes, and change allegiances. They learn from that day on that it is a business / profession, and no longer a passion. We can't blame them for treating it as such.

It would be like asking Tradedraft to start following Brisbane from tomorrow. He might be able to do it, but not with the same passion and obsession as he does with his childhood team.

Daisy loved the club, and probably would have been happy to stay if the club offered the same terms, but when we didn't, he made the decision based on the environment he has been thrust into.

Supporters need to learn to understand and to cope with this.

People need to understand that the players aren't as passionate about the clubs they play for as some supporters.

In fact, in most cases, they are asked to put their passions aside the moment they get drafted and switch to the club that drafted them. They need to put aside the club of their fathers, and their father's fathers, and their family, and their childhood heroes, and change allegiances. They learn from that day on that it is a business / profession, and no longer a passion. We can't blame them for treating it as such.

It would be like asking Tradedraft to start following Brisbane from tomorrow. He might be able to do it, but not with the same passion and obsession as he does with his childhood team.

Daisy loved the club, and probably would have been happy to stay if the club offered the same terms, but when we didn't, he made the decision based on the environment he has been thrust into.

Supporters need to learn to understand and to cope with this.

The day fans don't get angry when beloved players turn their back on the club is the day footy will die. For God's sake it's called passion and loyalty. I don't care if it's blind, it's what makes our competition tick.No one is angry with Heater because he clearly had no say in the matter. Daisy can shove it.

Happy New Year fellow Magpies, this is from The Scums board,looks like Mick`s lil pet is on struggle street.

In Melb for a bit so had a quick look this morning...first time in years. Pretty low key sesion over an hour and fifteen minutes or so. Plenty dropping in and out of main group so hard to say who is training without restriction. Few random observations...AW just looks to be playing his own game on the track, does everything at 110%. Judd moving well and looks up and about, Bootsma moving with plenty of purpose and covering ground well. Hendo and Army grinding out 400's, Thomas and Scotland running slow laps and looking pretty knackered...I am hoping I had just missed them doing a fitness test or something as they were sucking them in bigtime. Daisy not moving well it must be said

;)

Happy New Year fellow Magpies, this is from The Scums board,looks like Mick`s lil pet is on struggle street.

In Melb for a bit so had a quick look this morning...first time in years. Pretty low key sesion over an hour and fifteen minutes or so. Plenty dropping in and out of main group so hard to say who is training without restriction. Few random observations...AW just looks to be playing his own game on the track, does everything at 110%. Judd moving well and looks up and about, Bootsma moving with plenty of purpose and covering ground well. Hendo and Army grinding out 400's, Thomas and Scotland running slow laps and looking pretty knackered...I am hoping I had just missed them doing a fitness test or something as they were sucking them in bigtime. Daisy not moving well it must be said

;)
i called it. saw a rumour a few days ago saying thomas has re-done the ankle LOL :rainbow:

Win win for both. He gets to be paid overs by a desperate club clutching at straws and we get to regenerate our list with quality draft picks. Thomas will always be remembered for his significant role in the 2010 premiership, being a great marketing tool for the club and being an excitement machine when fully fit.

I wish him well!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not going to buy into the 'he's a premiership player and should be loved, regardless" stuff. I love the club therefore I love the players who play for the jumper.
If Thomas' allegiances were to MM and to the dollar, then why should I wish him the best? F@%# him. Shaw was just too dumb to realise that the club was about to make good on threats to get rid of disruptive influences. I wish luck because he wanted to stay a Pie for life but didn't think that the club has to buy into that too.

Not going to buy into the 'he's a premiership player and should be loved, regardless" stuff. I love the club therefore I love the players who play for the jumper.
If Thomas' allegiances were to MM and to the dollar, then why should I wish him the best? F@%# him. Shaw was just too dumb to realise that the club was about to make good on threats to get rid of disruptive influences. I wish luck because he wanted to stay a Pie for life but didn't think that the club has to buy into that too.
Agreed. Don't care that Daisy's gone (not that I don't rate him as a player, but if he's not committed to the 'Pies, he's no good to us), but am sad that Heath's gone, as he bled black n white & IMO genuinely wanted to play out his career for us. Having said that, I have no qualms about the decision the club made, and in the end I think we ended up with a fair trade being done. I wish Heath the best of luck for the future, but no premierships (unless he comes back to us for the last couple of years, a la Chris Tarrant!).

Agreed. Don't care that Daisy's gone (not that I don't rate him as a player, but if he's not committed to the 'Pies, he's no good to us), but am sad that Heath's gone, as he bled black n white & IMO genuinely wanted to play out his career for us. Having said that, I have no qualms about the decision the club made, and in the end I think we ended up with a fair trade being done. I wish Heath the best of luck for the future, but no premierships (unless he comes back to us for the last couple of years, a la Chris Tarrant!).

I do feel a bit for Shaw but I reckon he thought that threats of being moved on were hollow ones. I suspect MM would ruffle his hair and tell him that the Adults were speaking whereas Bucks thought that he could be a much more constructive influence if he'd just stop being an idiot. Making comments about selection in the media was not his place (re Didak) and I think the powers would have had his card marked.

I do feel a bit for Shaw but I reckon he thought that threats of being moved on were hollow ones. I suspect MM would ruffle his hair and tell him that the Adults were speaking whereas Bucks thought that he could be a much more constructive influence if he'd just stop being an idiot. Making comments about selection in the media was not his place (re Didak) and I think the powers would have had his card marked.
Thought the same thing. He appeared truly shocked when told we'd look for a trade. No doubt would have continued in the same vein under MM but I get the feeling he was warned plenty of times by Bucks etc and it just didn't sink in. He just didn't think he get offloaded.

As for Dale Thomas, he just seemed to have mentally checked out after so many injury setbacks. Very happy we didn't match his offer.

I don't view these 2 players as the same scenario at all. Heath wanted to stay but the club wanted him gone. Thomas just wanted out. His actions and comments in the media throughout the year trended towards the end result that he desired.

Remove this Banner Ad

Daisy's Legacy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back