Dale Thomas-finally shaking the overrated tag?

Remove this Banner Ad

yeah right.

Here's some more recent winners of the TAC Medal:

Jordan Barham
Michael Stevens
Dylan Smith
Amon Buchanan
Stephen Dinnell
Jesse Smith
Dean Kelly

An absolute wealth of big match performers right there.

There is only one player in that list who is 'a more recent winner' than Dale Thomas.

Here are some other winners:

Brent Harvey
Matthew Richardson
Adam Goodes
Brock McLean ;)
and the best of the lot.............Steele Sidebottom.

An absolute wealth of big match performers right there.

I think that Dale Thomas has clearly improved alot this year and is starting to live up to expectations. Also the fact that he is branded soft is more to do with his hair than the way he plays. IMO he is one of the toughest players going, around, never backas out of a hard contest and wins alot of hard ball. Wat does everyone else think?

I don't think the problem with thomas is that he is soft. He is far from "one of the toughest players around" and even one of the toughest players in the collingwood side (he is far far behind luke ball in that side for example) but he isn't soft.
I think the problem with thomas is that he is inconsistent and constantly goes missing. He isn't really a four quarter player and isn't as good as many people (commentators) make him out to be.

Don't you just love how Pies supporters twist every thread and turn it into something else or about someone else. I guess thats how they can try to divert the issues.

Don't you just love how Pies supporters twist every thread and turn it into something else or about someone else. I guess thats how they can try to divert the issues.

Dont you just love how everytime a thread is made with any relevance to Collingwood on the main board, Carlton supporters show up and derail the thread with dribble

Not saying he will be in Ablett's class (who is), but Ablett had his breakout year in 07', prior to that, he was averaging 15.17 disposals / game, Thomas 16.1 disposals / game. In Ablett's breakout year it rose to 26 / game, atm Thomas is tracking at 23 disposals / game.

Probably should have won the 2005 Norm Smith Medal.

lol I was about to post this.

Anyway, Thomas has, on a whole, been solid for us over his first few seasons. His ability is undeniable but question marks have been over a few things IMO - his tank, ball winning ability and above all else consistency.
He has regularly shown genuine pace, ability to take the contest on and hardness (yes guys, he is hard at the ball despite the genuine misconception harboured by BF).

My honest opinion is that has has not lived up to the expectations of a pick 2 in the national draft, but he is only 22 & has a ton of footy ahead of him. Ablett only started playing at the superior level he's playing at now at 22 (and before I am ridiculed for saying that - am NOT suggesting he will become anything like Ablett).
Contrary to popular belief also he has performed in big games - unlike certain others on our list.
Has made some serious inroads this year so far but it is still early stages. Is averaging 22.5 touches this year, well above his career average of 16. Unfortunately his on field output hasn't even remotely matched the amount of ads, footy show appearances and radio gigs he's had, but here's hoping he's turned the corner.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alot of people are confused about what overrated means. Other than Collingwood fans and a few posters from other clubs, who rates him?

This. I'd even extend it to include most Collingwood supporters I know - pretty much all agree that his career to this point has been underwhelming, so I'm not sure who's doing the overrating?

That's not to say he's crap or soft or blah blah blah, just to say he hasn't performed as well as Collingwood and footy fans in general would have expected him to as a high draft pick. For the last few years he's simply been a decent ordinary player who is capable of pulling a few tricks out on his day.

Having said all that, he's started the season superbly and has barely put a foot wrong so is showing signs he MIGHT be able to shake the more-appropriate "underachiever" tag. All the best to the kid* - he's still only young and has plenty of time to fulfil his obvious potential.

*Footnote - I still ****ing hate the showy w***er, his club and all associated with it ;)

Geez I get annoyed at Collingwood fans sometimes.

Dale has put together 4 very good games. Yet he is sneaking under everyone's guard.

So what we do is jump on the biggest footy forum and tell everyone how good he is.

Let's just keep a lid on it. Dale is having a fantastic year. He was even very good against St.Kilda although I doubt Saints fans look at any player other than their own.

Hush hush guys, if this form continues, it will be impossible to ignore him....so let's just allow him to do his talking out on the field. He doesn't need us here on the forums doing the talking for him.

His problem throughout his whole career has been over-exposure...and every Collingwood fan would agree that it would be beneficial for him to put less focus on the advertising, and more on his game.

When he finally starts flying under the radar, we simply pump him back up again.

Building someone up only gives them one way to go...down.

I have never understood the obsessions of our fans to continually build up our players. Collingwood gets far too much exposure as it is...so when we finally have a player who can sneak under the radar, let's just keep it that way.

For a while now I've been expecting him to have a similar development path to Ablett Jr. The statistics are almost identicle up until the same point of their careers. Both having their breakout year in their 4th season, too. Not saying Thomas will be as good as Ablett.. but they are a similar type of player, and not all players start on fire from their first games like Daniel Rich or a Joel Selwood.

Waste of time starting a thread prasing Thomas. He is a good but not great player. He is underrated on Bigfooty, rated fairly by footy fans in general and over rated by some media scribes.

The one thing that I do know is when people say he is soft their opinions don't count. These opinions are either hopelessly biased or come from opinionated people who just don't know much.

Geez I get annoyed at Collingwood fans sometimes.

Dale has put together 4 very good games. Yet he is sneaking under everyone's guard.

So what we do is jump on the biggest footy forum and tell everyone how good he is.

Let's just keep a lid on it. Dale is having a fantastic year. He was even very good against St.Kilda although I doubt Saints fans look at any player other than their own.

Hush hush guys, if this form continues, it will be impossible to ignore him....so let's just allow him to do his talking out on the field. He doesn't need us here on the forums doing the talking for him.

His problem throughout his whole career has been over-exposure...and every Collingwood fan would agree that it would be beneficial for him to put less focus on the advertising, and more on his game.

When he finally starts flying under the radar, we simply pump him back up again.

Building someone up only gives them one way to go...down.

I have never understood the obsessions of our fans to continually build up our players. Collingwood gets far too much exposure as it is...so when we finally have a player who can sneak under the radar, let's just keep it that way.

What we get sick of is your holier than thou attitude. Its a forum for AFL fans to discuss their views. The OP was stating his opinion on Dale Thomas and asking what general community thought, I for one was interested in hearing what other team supporters thought, those who don't watch the Pies every week.

Do you really think any posts published on Big Footy actually affect a players performance? If a player can handle the expectations from within an AFL club then they can sure has hell deal with any anonymous " pumping up" or on the other side of the coin harsh criticism, that could be expected on these fan sites.

Dave you have become increasingly condecending towards your brethren, here and other Collingwood websites and I wonder if it's because you have landed a gig writing footy articles for another website and the expectation that you give a somewhat neutral opinion.
And whilst I understand that, don't be critical of others who are excited by our players performances. We are all here to debate and garner opinions on the game we love.

Everytime there's a thread on Thomas, Collingwood supporters always talk him up as being a big game player, he averages 16 possies and less than a goal a game in finals. So where does this come from? is this still from his under 18s grannie?

So long as his Television and advertising eclipses his onfield performances, he will be overrated.

On that footy card ad, of all the stars to choose from they give Thomas the money shot line.:eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Dale Thomas-finally shaking the overrated tag?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back