Remove this Banner Ad

Dale4captain

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
My First Mock, so go easy. Might add the other picks as we get closer to draft day.

GWS Pick 1: Jonathon Patton (KPF- VIC) Height: 197cm Weight: 95kg
Description: None needed, so many other mock drafts put up the exact same description about him.
Comparison: Jon Brown/Quinton Lynch.

GWS Pick 2: Stephen Coniglio (MID-WA) Height: 184cm Weight: 79kg
Description: Again, been described enough. Prototype midfielder who any club would want. I Rate him higher than swallow last year.
Comparison: Marc Murphy/Trent Cotchin.

GWS Pick 3: Matthew Buntine (Utility-VIC) Height:189cm Weight: 84kg
Description: I rate him very highly. See a lot of Goddard when he plays. Beautiful kick, reads the game superbly, can rebound with ease even on the best of players. Can play taller than his height, allowing him to take on many different roles at AFL level. May need to improve his aerobatic capabilities, but that takes time.
Comparison: Brendon Goddard/Luke Hodge.

GWS Pick 4: Dom Tyson (MID-VIC) Height:186cm Weight: 83kg
Description: Just an all round talent. Future captain of the club and an outstanding individual. Is an all round player with little fault in his game. Will play round 1 next year, no doubt.
Comparison: Simon Black/Daniel Cross.

GWS Pick 5: Chad Wingard: (MID-SA) Height: 181cm Weight: 74kg
Description: Very skinny kid, but super talented. Just has that extra time, seems like he could stand there and look around the field before he has to dispose of the ball. Excellent leadership potential.
Comparison: Ryan Griffen/ Scott Pendlebury.

PORT Pick 6: Billy Longer (Ruck-VIC) Height: 202cm Weight: 96kg
Description: I don’t rate him as highly as some, but is clearly the best ruckman in a weak draft. Decent mark and nice pace. In a stronger draft, might have gone 15-20, but he deserves to go here. Had a good year.
Comparison: Darren Jolly.

GWS Pick 7: Will Hoskin-Elliot (MID-VIC) Height:182cm Weight: 73kg
Description: has the best first 5 meters I have seen in a long time. Huge kick and has that breakaway speed. Decent mark for his size as well.
Comparison: Dale Thomas/ Isacc Smith.
BRIS Pick 8: Adam Tomlinson (KPP-VIC) Height: 194cm Weight: 92kg
Description: is a big boy, and when he has a few preseason’s, is going to be a Unit. Can play at either end, and is a good kick for his size. Can take a strong grab and even push through the midfield- ala Goodes. Lacks a bit of pace, but compensates for this with outstanding leading and judgment.
Comparison: Michael Hurley/ Adam Goodes.
GWS Pick 9: Taylor Adams (MID-VIC) Height: 181cm Weight: 80kg
Description: is a fantastic leader and is just someone that you want around young players. Is an inside mid with excellent skills and good pace. Is ready to go for round 1. Very solid selection at this point, as he could be a top 5 selection.
Comparison: Callan Ward/Matthew Boyd.

GWS Pick 10: Nic Haynes (FWD/MID-VIC) Height: 192cm Weight:72kg
Description: very skinny lad, but a highly talented footballer. Could be a star. Once he puts on weight, he will be a monster in the midfield. Very good mark and not a bad kick. Can rotate forward as a handy lead up target.
Comparison: Andrew Embley.

GWS Pick 11: Fraser McInnes (KPP-WA) Height: 194cm Weight: 91kg
Description: Very good 1-V-1 and a strong mark. Isn’t slow for a big guy and has decent skills. Should fill out nicely. Would take the gorilla Forwards.
Comparison: Harry Taylor.
BRIS Pick 12: Liam Sumner (MID-VIC) Height: 182cm Weight: 70kg
Description: Fast winger who tackles hard. Is a long kick and has quick hands, although inside work needs attention. Strong player for his size. Lots of x-factor. Very similar to Hoskin-Elliot, although not quite at the same level.
Comparison: Thomas/Smith.

GWS Pick 13: Hayden Crozier (FWD-VIC) Height: 184cm Weight: 68kg
Description: Very skinny kid, although I believe is the most exciting in the draft. Has excellent vision and can just excite. Great kick and a good mark. Needs a few seasons in the gym.
Comparison: Hard one, maybe a Dale Thomas/ Russel Robertson hybrid.

GWS Pick 14: Brandon Ellis (DEF/MID-VIC) Height: 181cm Weight: 83kg
Description: Underrated player, who is a very good one on one defender for his size and is an excellent rebounder/kick.
Comparison: Heath Shaw.

RICH Pick 15: Sam Docherty (DEF/MID-VIC) Height:183cm Weight: 85kg
Description: Best kick in the draft. Explosive speed and superb run and dash. Decent one on one, should be able to push into the midfield soon enough.
Comparison: Shaw/Harbrow/Gilbee.

FREO Pick 16: Toby Greene (MID-VIC) Height: 182cm Weight: 79kg
Description: Is your no fancy stuff kind of guy. It’s just get the ball and use it well. Makes all the right decisions and has beautiful hands in traffic. Isn’t slow and is a leader.
Comparison: Matthew Boyd.
WBD Pick 17: Elliot Kavanagh (MID-VIC) Height: 188cm Weight: 79kg
Description: Definite slider of the draft. Is quality, but has had some horrific injuries that will play on recruiters minds. Has a nice kick, good hands and is a decent mark for his size. Has pace, so can play inside or out. Would be top 10 if not for injuries. Attitude is a bit of a worry as well, but can be sorted.
Comparison: Trent Cotchin/Brett Deledio.

NM Pick 18: Brad McKenzie (DEF-SA) Height:188cm Weight: 75kg
Description: First thing that comes to mind is his huge kick. Can kick it 60m off one step. Is very skinny and may take time to be AFL ready. Has decent inside skills, so could move into the Midfield after some development. Isn’t the quickest kid, but makes up for it with his excellent disposal.
Comparison: Trent McKenzie.
ESS Pick 19: Sam Kerridge (MID-VIC) Height: 188cm Weight: 85kg
Description: I’m baffled that no one else rates him highly. A big bodied midfielder who is terrific at the stoppages and is quite quick. Very good overhead mark and is a goal kicker. Super consistent and has played VFL level with Bendigo, where he looked quite good.
Comparison: Dane swan/David Zaharakis

FREO Pick 20: Devon Smith (FWD/MID-VIC) Height: 175cm Weight:75kg
Description: A very talented youngster who is let down by his height. He could have been a top 5 selection if he had another 5cm of height. I think he may struggle to have the same impact he has had at U/18 level, as he is so tiny. Still, a very good mark and good disposal, great goal sense and a huge workrate.
Comparison: Brent Harvey/Jarryd Blair

SYD Pick 21: Tom Mitchell (MID-WA) Height: 181cm Weight: 79kg
Description: Father/son that would have been top ten. Strong inside midfielder who has good skills and a huge tank. Great awareness.
Comparison: Tom Liberatore/Simon Black.

CARL Pick 22: Shane Kersten (FWD-WA) Height: 191cm Weight: 91kg
Description: An undersized full forward. Very talented. Great mark on the lead and a good set shot. Limited in development due to his height and weight, although he could still have a very good career as a leading full forward or third tall.

Comparison: Jack Darling

WCE Pick 23: Daniel Markworth (MID/FWD-VIC) Height: 190cm Weight: 79kg
Description: A naturally talented footballer. Is an over age player, but still has a huge amount of development left. Tall midfielder that can push forward and take a strong mark. Neat kick and decent hands. Good first few steps, allowing separation in packs and on the lead.
Comparison: Nat Fyfe.

GC Pick 24: Michael Talia: (DEF-VIC) Height: 193cm Weight: 88kg
Description: The most AFL ready key defender in this draft. Potentially less development than some, but I can see him having a solid AFL career. Good one on one and a very good mark. Kicking is a weakness, although his endurance is elite for a big man. Speed isn’t ideal.

Comparison: Brian Lake.

STK Pick 25: Alex Forster (DEF/MID- SA) Height:189cm Weight: 82kg
Description: Great kick on both feet, good run and carry and has nice speed. Have seen him perform very well down back, but he could possibly push through the midfield.
Comparison: Sam Gilbert
RICH Pick 26: Sebastian Ross (MID-VIC) Height:187cm Weight: 82kg
Description: An all round midfielder who can play inside and out. Good skills on both sides of the body and has nice hands. Good overhead mark, making him able to push forward and kick a goal or two. Wouldn’t be surprised if he pushed into the 15-20 range.
Comparison: Nick Dal Santo/ Jake Melksham
ADEL Pick 27: Myles Bolger (RUCK-WA) Height: 201cm Weight: 92kg
Description: Great tap ruckman, good around the ground, decent mark, but athletically not great and doesn’t have a huge leap. Still the second best ruck in the draft.
Comparison: Ben Hudson
WCE Pick 28: Andrew Boseley (KPP-VIC) Height: 194cm Weight: 81kg
Description: tall player who has very long arms, and doesn’t look like he will ever be huge. Doesn’t have great skills, but still a solid kick. Good reader of the ball.
Comparison: Sam Fisher/ Tayte Pears.
FREO Pick 29: Zyrus Manson (FWD-WA) Height: 193cm Weight: 81kg
Description: Freaky player. Has some excellent traits, but also has major flaws. A nice field kick, but his goal kicking is atrocious. Has a nice leap, but he doesn’t know how to get his own ball. Needs to learn how to be a team player and follow structures, but has lots of potential.

Comparison: Maybe Lance Franklin or Zeph Skinner but its hard to compare him to other players as there isn’t really anyone who plays like him.

This is my First round, and I will add more to it as the draft gets closer. Feedback appreciated.

They may not, but he is a very good ruckman and may be too good to pass up. It might be very, very tempting for them to pick up a future A grade ruck, which I believe Lobbe could turn out to be anyway. Its easy fixed anyway, just switch picks with Hoskin-Elliot. Althogh, i believe, if given the chance, Longer may head to port. Just my opinion mate, if you dont agree, fair enough. Take the time to write up your own mock.

I really like some of your outsider picks, especially Buntine at pick 3 and Kerridge at pick 19. I'm not sure Kerridge at pick 19 will happen, but a really interesting read. Nice to see something different (even though I myself am guilty of going with the crowd a little!). Really good effort, enjoyed the read.

I really like some of your outsider picks, especially Buntine at pick 3 and Kerridge at pick 19. I'm not sure Kerridge at pick 19 will happen, but a really interesting read. Nice to see something different (even though I myself am guilty of going with the crowd a little!). Really good effort, enjoyed the read.

Cheers mate, I really rate buntine as one of the best in the entire draft pool, so having him at 3 was non negotiable for me.

On kerridge, I just see him as someone who could turn out to be one of the better midfielders in this draft and don't see why everyone else is letting him slip so far. Agreed that he is unlikely to go at 19, although he deserves to go top 35 at minimum.

Anyway, cheers for the feedback mate. Yours was a decent read too. Nice effort.

Phelan, Denham and the Sun have each said Buntine looks like going first 5.

There seems to be a push

Kavanagh keeps getting to our pick 15. Would not be surprised if we pass for a Docherty or, definitely, Adams if he's there. Would prefer we take EK though. Agree Adams for top 10. GWS should insist on getting him

Enjoyed this. Not stoked with Ross, would prefer Grigg. But the same sources suggest he'll slide bigtime. Someone will get a bargain

If available, Lions will take Sumner at 8, I hear

Can I ask that you edit to note the team taking each pick. We all know what we have and I'm good for the first 16 or so, but I prefer not to think if avoidable

Ruck stocks: Lobbe, Renouf, Redden
Outside mid stocks: Pearce, no-one.

We need an outside mid (could be either of WHE or Sumner) a lot more than we need another ruck.
You're in dire need of a ruck if that's all you've got and Longer could be a star for 10+ years. You can make a fair case for picking WHE before him though.

We're not in dire need of a young ruck, we already have two promising ones in Lobbe and Redden along with a limited but decent mature-age ruck in Brent Renouf to fill gaps while they develop. You could argue that we're in dire need of a quality mature ruck, but Longer doesn't fulfil that requirement.
Lobbe and Redden have done nothing and are not enough to build your future around, Longer is and would be a star, not just able to fill the gap and be serviceable like Renouf (who will battle his arse off and be a credit to himself without doubt) but will be a dominant ruckman for you for his whole career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lobbe and Redden have done nothing and are not enough to build your future around, Longer is and would be a star, not just able to fill the gap and be serviceable like Renouf (who will battle his arse off and be a credit to himself without doubt) but will be a dominant ruckman for you for his whole career.

Dominant for his whole career? He hasnt played a game of AFL footy yet let alone been drafted.

Lobbe (previous first round draft pick) has great potential and has played well in his games so far. Redden has played top footy in the SANFL, including the GF.... To put Longer ahead of these two is a big call considering he has done nothing but play against kids. No doubt he will be a good player, but crystal balling like that is a bit much. Being a star in the junior grades doesnt always translate to the big time...

We're not in dire need of a young ruck, we already have two promising ones in Lobbe and Redden along with a limited but decent mature-age ruck in Brent Renouf to fill gaps while they develop. You could argue that we're in dire need of a quality mature ruck, but Longer doesn't fulfil that requirement.

+1
Well said

Dominant for his whole career? He hasnt played a game of AFL footy yet let alone been drafted.

Lobbe (previous first round draft pick) has great potential and has played well in his games so far. Redden has played top footy in the SANFL, including the GF.... To put Longer ahead of these two is a big call considering he has done nothing but play against kids. No doubt he will be a good player, but crystal balling like that is a bit much. Being a star in the junior grades doesnt always translate to the big time...
Yeah, Lobbe was a first round pick all the way back in 2007. The same year as Kreuzer, Mumford and Bellchambers, he's light years behind any of them. He's done nothing. Fans always think they have a list full of stars during the off-season.

So the crux of Sin City's argument here is Lobbe and Redden have done nothing at AFL level, therefore we should fix our ruck division by getting someone who's done nothing at AFL level. Cool.

The idea is to actually get one with a lot of potential because as it stands now you don't have any. It's funny how you forget just how bad Port's list is every season.

Port need:

1- tough, inside mid that can win their own ball.

2-outside mid with pace and clean disposal.

The rucks are ok, forwards and backs are coming along and we have more flankers than you can shake a stick at

The idea is to actually get one with a lot of potential because as it stands now you don't have any. It's funny how you forget just how bad Port's list is every season.

Ports rucks have no potential? Have you ever seen any of them play? If they had no potential, they wouldnt be in the squad! What an absolutely ridiculous comment!!

I agree, the list needs some work... But again, your general comment of 'forgetting how bad ports list is EVERY season', is complete rubbish! If their list was bad every season they would have been wooden spooners since they entered the AFL. 2GFs, 1 premiership and ZERO wooden spoons would be enough to argue that obviously your biases are making you look like a fool.

Ports rucks have no potential? Have you ever seen any of them play? If they had no potential, they wouldnt be in the squad! What an absolutely ridiculous comment!!

I agree, the list needs some work... But again, your general comment of 'forgetting how bad ports list is EVERY season', is complete rubbish! If their list was bad every season they would have been wooden spooners since they entered the AFL. 2GFs, 1 premiership and ZERO wooden spoons would be enough to argue that obviously your biases are making you look like a fool.
You joined BigFooty last month. Once you've been reading gopower's posts for a while you'll know what I mean.

yes I have seen them play, they're the worst ruck stocks in the league.

And how many times have you seen Redden play to make that call?

It's OK if you don't rate Port's young ruckmen. The people that matter at Port rate Port's young ruckmen, as they should, so they won't be taking another one.
No one outside of a few hopeful Port supporters rate your ruck stocks. You have one serviceable work horse (great recruit IMO as you'll see from other posts I've made) and two who have not shown anything to suggest they'll be good AFL players. When a young star like Longer comes along you'd be thanking your lucky stars if he slipped to your pick. Your ruck stocks are just as bad as your outside mids.

You joined BigFooty last month. Once you've been reading gopower's posts for a while you'll know what I mean.

yes I have seen them play, they're the worst ruck stocks in the league.

Whats wrong with his posts? He sounds enlightened and impartial despite who he barracks for.

So you would judge them worse than richmond?

So you haven't seen Redden play then? In that case, I'll ignore your misinformed opinion and stand by my assertion that we don't desperately need a young ruck.

Out of interest, would you say Carlton desperately need a young key forward? After all, Kreuzer, Hampson, Mitchell and Casboult are all unproven at AFL level, so they must all be shit. :rolleyes:

Seen Redden play enough. He's tall but very clumsy and uncoordinated. Really nothing to be excited about.

Yes, of course Carlton need a tall forward. Very high up if not number one on our list of needs, the only problem is the answer may not be in this year's draft as there isn't much about.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dale4Captain's Phantom Draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back