Trade Requested Dan Houston [UFA 2027] - wants to head to Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t see how we would be any different tbh.
Depends how you see your current half back stocks.

Burgoyne was impressive across the finals series - he would be a natural replacement if Houston were to depart. Sinn also looked good and the Power would want to get a full season into him.

Farrell missed a couple (?) of games also.

To my eyes it doesn't look like Port would lose a lot if Houston were to depart. He's obviously a quality player, one of the best half backs in the league and seemingly still getting better, but if there's players who are impacting finals eg Burgoyne I think the Power would be open minded about letting him go.

We mainly didn't want Gibbs to leave because our midfield stocks were paper thin and had very few decent senior players in general. We went backwards in 2018 in no small part because we lost Gibbs and Docherty.

I'd be taking the multi year big money move to North, I think they can rise quick from here.
I'd be open to it if I was Houston too, but it's a big gamble.

At 27 he's going to want to be playing at a perceived contender - North are still a few years away from really launching, while Port, the Blues and Pies could all make a case to go deep in September next year.

Depends how you see your current half back stocks.

Burgoyne was impressive across the finals series - he would be a natural replacement if Houston were to depart. Sinn also looked good and the Power would want to get a full season into him.

Farrell missed a couple (?) of games also.

To my eyes it doesn't look like Port would lose a lot if Houston were to depart. He's obviously a quality player, one of the best half backs in the league and seemingly still getting better, but if there's players who are impacting finals eg Burgoyne I think the Power would be open minded about letting him go.

We mainly didn't want Gibbs to leave because our midfield stocks were paper thin and had very few decent senior players in general. We went backwards in 2018 in no small part because we lost Gibbs and Docherty.

Burgoyne hopefully has a lot of upside to come but his kicking is a weakness. He can find the ball but doesn’t use it that well. Compared to Houston who is arguably the best kick in the league, it definitely leaves a hole in our team. Especially when risky kicks through the centre of the ground from halfback is our game plan.

We have a current second, so we could potentially use Owies or Kennedy in a trade to bring that 2nd rounder down - similar to the trade we made for Fisher last year.

So theoretically Pick 11 and (eg) Pick 25 for Houston.
Not sure it works now with the picks blowing out with band 1 compensation picks to saints and gws.

No houston is worth what port says he worth, whether your club wants to pay is up to them. He is contracted, he will stay unless we get a good deal
In theory.

In practice some clubs roll over, some don't. We'll see which Port is. But given they won't even sack Ken and that Sunrise guy after all this time its ah, yeah..

Burgoyne hopefully has a lot of upside to come but his kicking is a weakness. He can find the ball but doesn’t use it that well. Compared to Houston who is arguably the best kick in the league, it definitely leaves a hole in our team. Especially when risky kicks through the centre of the ground from halfback is our game plan.
Different skillsets. Burgoyne's kicking has definitely improved, but it's nowhere near the strength of Houston's. Maybe Farrell and take up the slack in this area if Houston departs though.

I don’t see how we would be any different tbh.

Yeah I agree, the most likely outcome is Houston stays at Port, unless he's happy to go to North.

I think the difference with this situation is that Adelaide targeted Gibbs and when a deal fell through went back the following year. Houston has seemingly fallen in Carlton's lap. Whilst he would be a nice addition, we have more important gaps to fill on our list and is definitely not worth the asking price to us, this year or next.

If he isn't traded this year, where does Port get the trade capital to trade for Lukosius?

I agree will you but he will be a year older at 28, if Norths FF is genuinely on the table this year and Port say no we will keep him and look at it next year they have even right to, but then we have a disaster of a year again next year and we have pick 2 or 3 next year i can guarantee you North will not be using it then on Houston.
We shouldn’t be using it on Houston full stop.

Regardless of him being AA a future first is ridiculous for a 27 year old hbf when we aren’t in the window.

We are literally giving up Pick 1-4 because I can’t see us getting out of that bottom 4 next year.

Trade in some low value experience and build within. We should only be looking at giving up that type of Capital for an elite key forward, key defender or midfielder, not a half back flanker.

Yeah I agree, the most likely outcome is Houston stays at Port, unless he's happy to go to North.

I think the difference with this situation is that Adelaide targeted Gibbs and when a deal fell through went back the following year. Houston has seemingly fallen in Carlton's lap. Whilst he would be a nice addition, we have more important gaps to fill on our list and is definitely not worth the asking price to us, this year or next.

If he isn't traded this year, where does Port get the trade capital to trade for Lukosius?
Luko will cost a second rounder after who pays his two year contract argy bargy $payment is agreed on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Dan Houston [UFA 2027] - wants to head to Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

Back