Trade Requested Dan Houston [UFA 2027] - wants to head to Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 13 plays about an average of 100 games. It's not a guaranteed hit. Dan will get you 100 games 95% of the time but he is elite and perfect for our game plan.
The problem is you have a list that will need walking frames soon.

Tassie not far away soaking up the best talent.

It’s not just 13 this year - it’s next years 1st.

All of that risk for A half back flanker?

He a good player - but he’s no Petracca!

Tassie is the great danger that everyone fears, but they will only take up one draft. We had successive drafts taken up by GC and GWS and nobody was affected. Any club with at least decent talent ID and development can wade the waters of being pushed back in a draft for some Tasmania picks.

West Coast finished bottom in 2010 and only got pick 4. They drafted Gaff, then Darling, Lycett and McGovern. They played a prelim the next year and won a flag years later.

After Port Adelaide’s comical 2011 season that saw them earn just pick 6 after 3 wins due to GWS’ entry, they took dual AA Chad Wingard and the next year took Wines on their way to the first of many preliminary final appearances in 2014.

There’s nothing to worry about re: Tassie
Yeah I disagree.

Your forgetting the seriously aging list you have.

You lose this years and next years first rounders.

Why would you want to make the Schultz mistake again?

Melbourne had stuff all to do with Mac Andrew. He'd been playing footy for years before spending a couple of years in your academy. Whinging about him is as silly as North supporters would be whinging about Ryley Sanders.
we'd done a lot more with Mac Andrew than most of the clubs that have claimed their players under their academy. He was in our academy due to the work we put in and we deserved him. Embarrassing by you to suggest otherwise.

Guess Carlton should be looking to offload Cripps since he actually will be 30 next year? Rather than worrying about the space time continuum in 2.5 years time.

When you are getting a top shelf player in their absolute prime, a couple years is what can make the difference between a flag or not. Houston will have 5-7 years of top level footy left (assuming no injuries). You’re not trading for a player that’s got 2 years left then put on the scrap heap.

Anyway, Cripps will be 30 so he’s up for grabs for a second rounder I guess? Need to offload those old boys for some draftees.
Huge difference is he’s a gun midfielder not a flanker

Saints should be able to manage well enough without Battle. Sinclair and NWM are about as good a half back pairing as you could want. Schoenmaker could potentially fill the Battle gap. They don't need to splurge on a half-back when Steele is the only mid they have that flirts with being elite (he hasn't made the AA 40 since 2021). Their two picks should and will be used on midfielders.
If his form once he returned to the senior side late in the year is anything to go by I won’t be surprised in the slightest if Phillipou explodes in there next year.

pies will get him. 13 should be enough. Any more for a 28 year old next season is overs
The inferior Brad Hill was only 1 year younger when he was traded to us and he (and a future 3rd) cost pick 10, a future 2nd, Blake Acres, pick 58 and a future 4th.

That’s probably the closest recent precedent.

Would make no sense for Port to trade him for just pick 13.

The problem is you have a list that will need walking frames soon.

Tassie not far away soaking up the best talent.

It’s not just 13 this year - it’s next years 1st.

All of that risk for A half back flanker?

He a good player - but he’s no Petracca!
You say HBF, I say game winner that will cut through sides with that boot of his. We don't need Petracca. We need that N Daicos replacement off half back. That was what was missing this year imo.

You say HBF, I say game winner that will cut through sides with that boot of his. We don't need Petracca. We need that N Daicos replacement off half back. That was what was missing this year imo.
You also need a forward line.

Daicos at half back wasn’t the reason you finished 9th.

Collingwood will be taking a massive risk if they punt two firsts on a player that won’t bring a premiership.

First Schultz, now Houston.

We should leave him well alone also - nice ego hit at too high a cost.

Collingwood will be taking a massive risk if they punt two firsts on a player that won’t bring a premiership.

Every move is a risk. We ain't quite ready to rebuild. We are going all in 2025. Carlton should pay the cost as well. He would be exactly what you need to improve your transition. Will be interesting to see if Carlton feel they need to offer 2 1st rounders when it appears that Houston is willing to go to North or the Pies.

Every move is a risk. We ain't quite ready to rebuild. We are going all in 2025. Carlton should pay the cost as well. He would be exactly what you need to improve your transition. Will be interesting to see if Carlton feel they need to offer 2 1st rounders when it appears that Houston is willing to go to North or the Pies.
He’s already said no thanks to North.

Not sure about Collingwood.

Hearing he wants to get to Carlton & we’re holding our line on wanting to use our first pick in the draft.

I suppose this one will still be going on the last day!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of our ITK mentioned Port would take a single top 6 pick instead of eg our 2x mid first round.
Similar things were said from an ITK on our board. I think it’s on the money.
And yours employs his younger disciple.
Their own little Kenny clone. Gets his team pansed in finals just like our boy Kenny.

Wonder if he can last 12 years without winning anything too.
Imo, pick #13 & Richards would be fair for Houston.

However, can the Pies land pick #13...
Maybe ooc, but think of it from Ports position. Would you rather keep Houston to his contract or accept 13? Finished top 4 and will get worse without him, we’d be banking a lot on that 13 alone replacing him, especially when we’re competing.

While it is around fair compensation, it will legitimately take overs for it to be worth Port letting him go.

I mean if Pies can get 13 for Noble what we’re asking for Houston shouldn’t be far off.

Yeah I disagree.

Your forgetting the seriously aging list you have.

You lose this years and next years first rounders.

Why would you want to make the Schultz mistake again?
We've seen an example of an expansion side impacting the draft. Twice. On neither occasion did it screw up a list's progression. If the club falls to its knees it won't be because of Tasmania.

Nevertheless, back to Collingwood, I'd rather throw everything we have at another flag. The consequence whether we do or don't win one will be we fall further down the ladder in the future as a result of neglecting the draft. My personal opinion is that whilst it sucks watching your side at the bottom of the ladder, you can't build a premiership list without access to early talents in the draft. It's usually healthier to "bottom out" than to be a middling team. Embrace the premiership window and embrace what comes after. Don't play it safe. Houston would instantly be our second best player and improve us drastically.

Collingwood's forward line was actually one of the most efficient in the league at scoring per entry despite numerous personnel issues throughout the year. We might have even been top but I'll play it safe and say top three. The Pies have a good forward line. Getting it there was an issue. We fell well back from being the #1 in points scored from defensive 50 in 2023 to way down in 2024. Houston is the best half-back in the game and his set up kicks from the back half would create more opportunities to score.

Collingwood's forward line was actually one of the most efficient in the league at scoring per entry despite numerous personnel issues throughout the year. We might have even been top but I'll play it safe and say top three. The Pies have a good forward line. Getting it there was an issue. We fell well back from being the #1 in points scored from defensive 50 in 2023 to way down in 2024. Houston is the best half-back in the game and his set up kicks from the back half would create more opportunities to score.
Well we will all see what unfolds.

If your list management team agree with you they’ll be forking out the equivalent of two first round picks including next years.

Yikes!

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Dan Houston [UFA 2027] - wants to head to Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

Back