Trade Requested Dan Houston [UFA 2027] - wants to head to Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends if we approach Carlton, but I suspect not in that case. If I had to guess, we are pushing for the saints picks as you suggest.

A top 10-ish pick and f1 would normally be enough. But seem it appears a fairly even draft, 2 might not be as valuable as in previous drafts.
What would the deal be ? Straight swap 2 for 7-8 or would there be sweeteners involved

The main reason to deal with us would be that once we trade our f2 we are essentially out of the race. If you dealt with Saints Houston may still be pushing to get to us.
In that situation, I imagine Carlton would be aware of its strategic importance and wouldn’t sell that f2 if they really wanted Houston.

Are Pies just going after whoever is available? They don't really have a clear strategy do they. Probably to do with a lack of football boss for 12 months.

I'd be slightly worried if I was a Pies supporter. They've blown their chance to draft until after Tassie are finished getting all their picks.
Gold Coast and GWS didn’t ruin any side despite blowing up consecutive drafts. Why would Tassie have any significant influence when they only will occupy one draft?

Can’t see Carlton haggling too hard for Houston. He would be a fantastic acquisition for them and they would see their window as being right now while Cripps is doing what he’s doing. They’ve got their big $$$ locked up in Cripps, Curnow, McKay, De Koning, Weitering and Walsh. That’s their core now for better or worse and you gotta give them the best chance.

Surely it will just be a negotiation over a 2nd or 3rd round coming back with Houston or something like that.

Can’t see Carlton haggling too hard for Houston. He would be a fantastic acquisition for them and they would see their window as being right now while Cripps is doing what he’s doing. They’ve got their big $$$ locked up in Cripps, Curnow, McKay, De Koning, Weitering and Walsh. That’s their core now for better or worse and you gotta give them the best chance.

Surely it will just be a negotiation over a 2nd or 3rd round coming back with Houston or something like that.
I think it all relies on Carltons ability to trade Kennedy, Owies and Young. If we can find suitors for them we probably get enough trade capital to hit the draft and acquire Houston.

If we can't we're clearly prioritizing the draft due to the players in our pick range currently.

Gold Coast and GWS didn’t ruin any side despite blowing up consecutive drafts. Why would Tassie have any significant influence when they only will occupy one draft?
Based on the below it does seem that there may be more than one draft impacted by Tasmania entering the comp:

According to The Age, the Tasmanian club is expected to be handed four to five first-round priority picks for the 2027, 2028 and 2029 drafts, with two of those selections from each draft required to be traded to gain experienced talent.

If the club is unable to trade one of those selections to attain players, that selection will be carried into the following year's draft.

Source: https://www.zerohanger.com/likely-draft-pick-allocation-for-new-tasmanian-afl-club-revealed-136386/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Smart by Carlton.

Port will cave on Houston.
We'd need to be very very aggressive on GCS pick 13 to avoid any chance of the Pies swooping on him ahead of us. We get that pick and we really hold the power in terms of Victorian suitors.

I think Port have some other unknown targets in mind they need picks for which is why they haven't shut down talks straight away. Can't see any other reason they'd let him walk away from his contract.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Dan Houston [UFA 2027] - wants to head to Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

Back