Past Daniel Bradshaw (1996-2009)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Daniel Bradshaw

Link

THE REUNION of the Brisbane Lions’ dynamic forward line is right on track, with Jonathan Brown a surprise starter on the opening night of the club’s pre-season and Daniel Bradshaw continuing to make solid progress following a knee reconstruction.
Although their chances to play together have been limited by injury, Brown and Bradshaw showed what they are capable of in tandem with a combined haul of 13 goals against Port Adelaide in round 8, 2006.
Lions fans will hope there is more of that to come and Matthews confirmed that Bradshaw’s return from a knee reconstruction remains on track.
“He’s done the normal recovery from a knee reconstruction,” Matthews said.
“He hurt his knee in the first week of March last year and he won’t play until the third week of March at this point in time.
“There’s nothing happening at the moment that’s going to prevent him playing.”

bradshawkk7.jpg

Great news for you guys.

Bradshaw is one of my favourite (non Carlton) players.

Much like Stevens for us, many people will be looking at you without him and think your not going that well, but add him in next year and he'll be a massive plus for you guys.:thumbsu:

Brown & Bradshaw up front, best partnership in the league! a full season with these 2 blokes fully fit, enough to send sh*t down any defense's shorts, let alone browny does that on his own :thumbsu:

Afl.com judges Bradshaw to be the best number 56 draft pick of all time:

56 – DANIEL BRADSHAW (BRISBANE)
Recruited from: Wodonga (1995)
No.56 was an extremely tough call, as Bradshaw, Andrew Dunkley (Sydney – 1991) and Ryan O'Keefe (1999) all made significant claims. In the end, Bradshaw got the points, as he was part of the Brisbane Lions' glory era, playing in the 2001 and 2003 flags. Matthew Clarke (Richmond – 1990) didn't play for the Tigers and Cam Mooney (Kangaroos – 1996) featured in 11 matches for the Roos, so they weren't considered.

bradshawih7.jpg

Link

Bradshaw comeback to complete 'dream team'
8:41 AM Wed 7 November, 2007
by Simon White
for lions.com.au

BRISBANE Lions fans can expect their forward “dream team” to be in place early in the 2008 campaign, with Daniel Bradshaw charting a pre-season comeback from a knee reconstruction.
Two-time leading goalkicker Bradshaw tore his anterior cruciate ligament at the tail-end of last pre-season and spent all of 2007 on sideline – robbing the Lions of an important foil for gun spearhead Jonathan Brown.
But he continues to good progress with rehabilitation and is on target to get in some valuable match practice before the home-and-away season starts.
"I’ve just started doing a little bit of running on the treadmill, just to put a little bit of weight on the leg and get my stability and balance back," Bradshaw told lions.com.au.
"At the moment I’m thinking by January I should be kicking again and then by the end of February or start of March, I’ll be ready to play again.
"Hopefully I can get a couple of pre-season games in before round one."
While the 28-year-old was devastated to suffer an injury after completing virtually a full pre-season, some good has come of his misfortune.
On top of the reconstruction, Bradshaw’s convalescence included shoulder surgery that will ensure he’s in tip-top shape to partner Brown next year.
"It [the knee] was pretty hard to take at first because I’d already put all the hard yards in over the pre-season," he said.
"The first six-to-eight weeks probably were tough but after that it was just a matter of putting the head down and doing the rehab to make sure I got it right.
"If I hadn’t done the knee, I probably wouldn’t have had the shoulder done – because I was going to have the 12 months out, it fitted in.
"The shoulder wasn’t something that was going to keep me from playing but it was stopping me from doing some things, especially in the gym with weights. So I had it done a couple of months after the knee."
Bradshaw will likely return to a different looking forward line to the one he last played in, with Robbie Copeland becoming an unlikely attacking option in his absence and Jared Brennan playing the best football of his young career alongside Brown.
The atmosphere surrounding the Lions is also likely to be different.
Bradshaw’s most recent outing was a 51-point loss to St Kilda in round 22 of 2006, a sixth straight defeat to round out a disappointing season.
Last season, by comparison, the Lions won five of their last nine games, including a draw with Sydney in round 20, and remained in finals contention entering round 22.
"A lot of the young guys have got a few more games under their belts now and you can see they’ve developed a bit more confidence," Bradshaw said.
"It’s a really good mix actually, with those young guys and also the slightly older guys like Nigel Lappin, Simon Black, Luke Power and myself, who have been around for a few years.
"It’s also great that a few of the boys ended up re-signing at the end of last year – it keeps the group together and means it can keep developing."

bradshawcm3.jpg

End of Season Player Review

At the start of the year all the talk was about trying to keep Jonathan Brown on the park, so it is somewhat ironic that Brown played every game and Bradshaw missed the whole season through injury. He had been ‘saved’ during the NAB Cup, only to partially tear his ACL in a practice match one week before the season started. As the Lions’ leading goal kicker over the previous 2 years he was a big loss.

But with Brown improving his durability there is renewed optimism that they can form a lethal partnership in 2008. Because of injuries they have not often been on the park at the same time in recent years, but having kicked 38 goals between them in their last 4 games together, they have shown they work well as a team and can tear a game apart. Of course, a lot will depend on how well Bradshaw recovers from his serious knee injury.

bradshaw5or8.jpg

TWO-TIME premiership forward Daniel Bradshaw is likely to miss the opening fortnight of the AFL season and any goal-sniping for the Brisbane Lions before April will be a bonus.
Coach Leigh Matthews said yesterday there was no expectation on Bradshaw to be match fit and firing for the March 22 opener against West Coast Eagles in Perth.

That will mark 12 months to the day when Bradshaw blew knee ligaments in his kicking leg in a seemingly innocuous non-contact moment during a pre-season scratch match.

"If it happens to be round 2 or 3 before I'm back, so be it," Bradshaw said of the long haul dictated by his knee reconstruction.

"If everything goes to plan, I'd like to be playing a practice match by mid-March.

"I'd probably like two or three games at that sort of level to get the feel of footy again and build confidence in my body with all the twisting and turning."

Bradshaw, 29 on Wednesday, is perched on 181 AFL games and is deliberately not thinking ahead to faraway milestones like membership of the 200 Club.

"When you cop a long-term injury, you do change your targets," he said.
"Getting used to the snapping action in my right leg again with short kicks, the week in the future when I can start change of direction running . . . that's as far as I'm looking.

"It's exciting watching the young blokes training at the Lions and knowing I'll have to match them because it's that energy which has really helped lift the club through the tackling pressure being applied.

"In the second half of 2007 the Lions were also getting the ball forward far quicker and it showed in the results and with some big goal hauls (for Jonathan Brown)."

On-line shopping bit Bradshaw during his rehabilitation and he admitted yesterday he'd purchased a new set of golf clubs.

Irish recruit Pearce Hanley, 18, is relishing his first week in a new game but the Sherrin has a mind of its own compared to the round Gaelic football.

Source: http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,22760007-5003410,00.html

YAY ROUNDS 2 AND 3 ARE AT HOME! Can't wait to see you on the field again Braddles I'll be yelling and screaming when you return. Best of luck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lately i have been wondering what we can expect from Braddles in 08...

I am hoping like hell he doesnt keep having re-occuring problems like Warren Tredrea in 07. Even though Tredders was playing, he looked not a shadow of his former self..

I am hoping Braddles can play a permanent forward role, taking 5-6 marks a game and kicking ~2 goals a game... If he can manage that, it would be a great return IMO from a full knee reco.

Anything more than this i think would be an absolute bonus.

It is in his favour that he did his knee during pre season last year, so he was able to have surgery early and be right to go around Rd 1...

Interestingly, McGrath went 2-3-3-2 for goals in that series of matches as well.
It's a fact McGrath plays his best footy with Browny on the park and Browny plays his best footy when Bradshaw is on the park. :) Bradshaw is our most important structual forward. :thumbsu:

Brennan, McGrath, Hooper, Bradshaw & Brown forward line is going to be devastating for opposition defenders. Add in Clark if the likes of Brennan or McGrath are out. He'll also fill the void for the first 2 or 3 games of the season when Braddy is in the seconds... :)

bradshaw was running laps, had the most awkward running style i have seen for a long time. It was obvious his knee is not up to scratch yet.

bradshawgh1.jpg

It will be interesting to see how quickly they bring back Bradshaw to senior footy. If Brown and Clark are firing in the early rounds, a bit like Drummo last season, Bradshaw may have to wait for an opportunity. Or is he an automatic selection as soon as he's ready?

I think he's an automatic selection when he is "ready". However, I think he will need one match under his belt before he is ready for senior footy. Whether that is a practice match or a reserves match, I think he needs to have that one game where he eases himself into the contest. At the lower level, he can anchor himself to the goalsquare and go one-out and still probably kick 10, without unduly stressing his body.

Link

Bradshaw's return impatience
Article from:
Andrew Hamilton
January 11, 2008 11:00pm

DANIEL Bradshaw is a caged Lion, his frustration at losing a year of footy at his peak only partly quelled in the boxing ring.
But it is no longer working.
You can see it at training, where he paces around desperate to join in but knowing he has to follow his carefully planned rehabilitation program right to the end.
Bradshaw produced his most dominant season in the AFL in 2006 when he led the Lions' goalkicking with 59.
But his 2007 season lasted just 10 minutes before he limped away from his first intra-club scratch match at Coorparoo with a torn anterior cruciate ligament that left him facing a knee reconstruction and a gruelling 12 months of rehabilitation.
"It has definitely made me appreciate the game so much more," Bradshaw said.
"When you can't kick a footy after you have been playing for so long, you realise you take it for granted.
"Right now I'm probably the keenest I've ever been."
But a year older and after a 12-month layoff, can he reproduce that form?
The 28-year-old says the leg feels good and he is encouraged by his rehabilitation progress, but any player who has been through a reconstruction will tell you the toughest part is regaining confidence in the knee so it's not a consideration in the heat of battle.
"That is what every player goes through," he said.
"If you can get your confidence back – and I'm feeling good about the way it's going – I don't see why I can't be the player I was before I was injured."
Watching your teammates play when you can't is torture.
But it can also be motivational when you see signs the young Lions may once again be on the way up.
"It was exciting," Bradshaw said. "A lot of the guys are starting to clock up 50 games so I can only see us getting better from here on.
"If Brownie (Jonathan Brown) and I can combine again and you add Mitch Clark, Jared Brennan and a couple of small forwards in Rhan Hooper and Ash McGrath, it's a pretty potent forward mix.
"We should be able to cause a lot of headaches."
But fans will have to wait until at least round 2, possibly round 3, before Bradshaw can add to his 181 games. He is not allowed to start full training until February.
"It's going pretty well, but I won't be rushing anything," he said of his recovery.

bradshaw2dt2.jpg

Bradshaw takes an unexpected sauna

10:47 AM Fri 8 February, 2008
By Jennifer Witham
Exclusive to AFL BigPond Network

IT'S been a bumpy road back for Lion Daniel Bradshaw, and the journey was nearly made even longer for the talented forward on Thursday when a Townsville elevator trip went horribly wrong.

Bradshaw was descending in the Rydges Southbank hotel lift from his seventh floor room when a mechanical fault trapped him in the metal enclosure for almost an hour and a half.

"I was just going downstairs to get something to eat," Bradshaw told afl.com.au. "I'm glad I was in there on my own because I think I would have got a bit claustrophobic if there had been 10 guys in there with me.

"It worked out I was in there for an hour and a half, and there was no real harm done. I was just getting a little bit hot and sweaty. If it had been much longer, I might have started getting a bit worried."

Bradshaw said once he alerted hotel staff that the lift had stopped moving, he became concerned about the amount of air getting into the enclosed space.

"Towards the end, they said I could open the doors a bit and that let a bit of air in," he said.

"At the start, I didn't know I could do that so I wondering how much oxygen was going to be left in there."

In the tropical Townsville heat, being shut in a small metal box for an extended period of time could be classified as a type of physical torture; Bradshaw readily agreed.

"I would have lost about a kilo because I was sweating so much. It was on the seventh floor, so I was up pretty high," he said.

"I ended up just laying down, because standing up, the heat was just too much. I just kept pretty low, and when I got out, I had a few bottles of water."

So what do you do when you're stuck in a box with nowhere to go?

"I had my phone with me so I just rang a couple of people, which made the time go a bit quicker," he said.

"I didn't know how long it was going to take. They first said 20 minutes, and then it turned out to be an hour and a half."

The other Lions, who milled around the bottom of the lift and cracked jokes while their teammate remained incarcerated, were still unsympathetic once Bradshaw was freed and able to tell his tale in full.

"It's a funny story," Travis Johnstone said. "It's really funny, because it's true!"

But Bradshaw got his own back. During his time inside the lift, his teammates were forced to tackle the stairs to get to their own rooms. "Everyone in the whole building had to climb up while I was in there, so I felt a bit sorry for them," he laughed.

Perhaps less sorry once he realised how hilarious his colleagues found the situation.

Source: http://www.lions.com.au/Default.aspx?tabid=5085&newsId=55079

LOL, poor Braddles :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Past Daniel Bradshaw (1996-2009)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back