Daniel Cross vs Jobe Watson

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

His attack on the footy is better than most, certainly as good as anyone. The bloke is fearless whether he is throwing himself into a pack headfirst to extracate the pill or to charge back with the flight of the ball to take a mark. Does it time after time and sets the example for others to follow. Yep, he's inspirational.

Never plays a bad game and the way he prepares himself season after season is a model for his teammates. He has limitations but plays to his strengths. His ability to hit targets by hand when surrounded by opponents is amazing (similar to Watson in that regard). Smart player.

If you watch football and I mean watch football. There are oh so many occasions where Cross will dive to the bottom of a pack get to his knees or feet and feed out a handball to a running player.

You just shake your head and think 'How the hell did he do that?'

Same as Watson. Does it tonnes too.

But see, the thing is that Watson moves like he has an anchor attached to him.

When you have the vision and ability to read the play like Watson does, it doesn't really matter.

Besides, I've never known Cross to have serious speed.

When you have the vision and ability to read the play like Watson does, it doesn't really matter.

Besides, I've never known Cross to have serious speed.

Cross may not have speed like Andrew Lovett, but he does cover an enormous amount of territory with his endurance running.
Cross has the ability to get to contests or create space. He is a terrific in and under player, but he also has the courage to go back with the flight of the ball and takes contested marks. It is only his kicking that stops him from being a complete player.

Perhaps one distinct difference between the two is that as good as Watson's handballs are, he quite often takes the wrong option and turns the ball over. To be honest, I've rarely seen Cross turn the ball over with his handball. As for his kicking....that's improved but is some way to go.

Perhaps one distinct difference between the two is that as good as Watson's handballs are, he quite often takes the wrong option and turns the ball over. To be honest, I've rarely seen Cross turn the ball over with his handball. As for his kicking....that's improved but is some way to go.

:confused::confused:

You are talking about Jobe Watson yeah?

Perhaps you should watch him play before you post, you'll look less like an idiot that way. Jobe handballs very well, makes space for players to run off all the time.

His kicking in previous seasons has been dreadful, but so far this season he has kicked very well.

He had 95% efficiency in his 27 touches on the weekend.

Rosie O'Donnell vs Angelina Jolie ?:D

There wouldn't be a coach in the league, even Matthew Knights, who would choose Watson over Cross...stupid comparison. Like comparing rump steak with grain fed sirloin !

That is BS, it is a very good comparison as they are both similar players with very similar strengths and weaknesses. Prior to this season Cross would definately have had the edge, though not by that much. So far this year Watson has been better, albeit for only three games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is BS, it is a very good comparison as they are both similar players with very similar strengths and weaknesses. Prior to this season Cross would definately have had the edge, though not by that much. So far this year Watson has been better, albeit for only three games.

I take it you haven't seen much of the dogs this year.

Cross was a mile ahead last season and is still a mile ahead.

That in no way means Watson is shit.

I feel sorry for anyone who does not get to watch crossy go about it every weekend. I am constantly left in awe of how he gets some of his handballs away

I am a fan of Jobe, like how he plays (knows what he is good at and what he isnt) but Crossy by a mile.

Suggest you might like to go back to my original post.

You mean this post where you said Watson turns the ball over quite often?

Perhaps one distinct difference between the two is that as good as Watson's handballs are, he quite often takes the wrong option and turns the ball over.

hmmmm...... Can't see where I was wrong with your statement?

Your avatar says everything about you....sad really

If you get upset by a rubber chicken you are really going to struggle in life pal.

Cross. In 2008 Cross picked up at least 18 touches in every game. Extraordinary really. He averaged the fourth most contested possessions of all players and also won the fifth most hardball gets of any player. He had the most handballs in the comp last season and mostly the reason he handballs so much isn't just because he is almost always in a contested situation but because he is so deadly with them. He had the second best efficency of all players in the top 15 handballers in the comp. Last season he improved in an area that he has been often maligned about when he pushed forward further to become the Dogs 3rd best player at giving off score assists as he found himself in damaging positions on the ground.

You mean this post where you said Watson turns the ball over quite often?

You seem to struggle with the concept that someone can recognise a player's talent but still identify a small weakness. Whatever.

hmmmm...... Can't see where I was wrong with your statement?

See above

If you get upset by a rubber chicken you are really going to struggle in life pal.

Not upset......just thought it said something about your intellect.

Bye...pal:rolleyes:

look at the poll that's all that needs to be said...

Jobe is getting better but is not in the league as Cross sorry.

This poll was made a month or two ago, so bloody hell, you can;t just use peoples opinion before the season starts. If it were opened again, it may be a different result, if not closer.

Who is the better player? And if you vote, please write your opinion and on what basis.
IMHO, they're both similar players.
Great extractors of the pill.
Both great handballers and prefer it over kicking.
Kicking is also their weak points.

Jobe Watson
DOB: February 8, 1985
Career Games:72
Draft: 2002 National Draft, Round 3 Pick 40

2008 Stats (Per Game)

Kicks: 10.2
Handballs: 14
Marks: 2.8
Goals:0.2
Behinds: 0.4
Tackles: 3.6
Inside 50s: 2.8

Daniel Cross
DOB: March 30, 1983
Career Games: 110
Draft: 2000 National Draft, Round 4 Pick 56

2008 Stats (Per Game)

Kicks: 9.6
Handballs: 16.9
Marks: 5.5
Goals:0.2
Behinds: 0.1
Tackles: 4.7
Inside 50s: 2.4

haha how did i know you would do something like this, u know who is better and its CROSS!! harder at it and take constested marks just better when it gets to hardstuff against the good teams, can go head to head with a good player and can also do a shut down role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back