Daniel Cross vs Jobe Watson

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't doubt he's a capable mark. There have been a numbner of posts mentioning contested marking as being a reason why he is a better player, I simply don't see contested marking as being a major feature of his game, and was pointing out that Watson is not so poor overhead either. This is definately not an area where he shades Watson who is considerably larger ( 190cm, 91kg vs 187cm, 86kg). I would back Watson in a one on one marking contest any day.

Yes Jobe is a larger man but I have never seen him back into packs to take marks. I may be mistaken because I have certainly followed Cross more closely, but pay attention and you will see Cross take some terrific marks.
I will pay attention to Jobe and see if his early season improvement is maintained.

This is my only memory of Cross in a marking contest.

camRyder_narrowweb__300x472,0.jpg

Yes Jobe is a larger man but I have never seen him back into packs to take marks. I may be mistaken because I have certainly followed Cross more closely, but pay attention and you will see Cross take some terrific marks.
I will pay attention to Jobe and see if his early season improvement is maintained.

I will watch for Cross's marking when I get the chance. Backing into packs to take a mark is not a situation you can manufacture, so you may or may not see Jobe do this just as I may or may not see Cross. I doubt either would squibb in this situatiuon though. You will see Watson using his size to outmark opponents fairly often though.

The fact that plenty of Bulldog supporters have come to defend Cross shows that they aren't too far apart.
To be fair, if Cross played for a bottom 4 side.. wait who's Cross again? Exactly.
If Watson played for a top side... he is all of a sudden a better player.. lewl

There is a very good argument for Cross being the better player, but it is consistency of performance over a longer period that would be the difference. Both are hard at the ball, Cross is defiantely no harder at it than Jobe. I keep hearing what a great contested mark Cross is, I can't remember ever seeing him and thinking marking was a particular strength or weakness, Jobe is a lot bigger and no slouch in this department either, if anyone has an edge in marking it is him.

well you are wrong little one, because Cross has a higher constested marking Efficiency. END OF STORY

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Over the season to date (9 rounds) Watson has been the better player. If he maintains that over the remainder of the year, claims for Watson will have credibility.

This is a change to where they were respectively at the end of 2008.

To this point Watson is better in 2009 than in any previous year, while Cross has been below his 2008 form.

With Cross being used to shut down Bartel for a fair bit of the Geelong game we may even see him head to head with Watson when the teams clash on July 17th.

Watson went head to head with Boyd IIRC and was clearly injured the whole game which was his worst for the season.
Great bump! :thumbsu:

Cross was clearly on Watson early. Although match-ups do rotate a little.

If Watson was injured the whole game, why was he playing ?

Watson got most of his possession in the 2nd, he just did nothing with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back