Player Watch Daniel Curtin - Debut

When will Daniel Curtin play his 3rd game?

• Sometime during Rounds 17-20

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Why not? I see kite surfing around the beaches, recently down Moana.
kane cornes..

Old Karen Cornes would have a fit…

AFL footballers arent allowed to partake in any sports in their spare time that involve skimming across the surface of water… lest they upset dear kane..

Why not? I see kite surfing around the beaches, recently down Moana.

Thanks WW. Listened whilst driving just now. Interview was from 1/8/23. A few highlights from memory:

• Mentioned playing defence but also very open to midfield (“love the idea of midfield too” after being asked if defence is his position) and he enjoyed learning midfield craft over last 1-2 years. Has worked on right foot skills after each training after having his mates joking he had no right foot.
  • in defence focus has been improving his marking. Enjoyed duels with Walter at Nationals and thought he did well against him but said he is a cracking player. I remember hearing Walter say that Curtin was also his toughest opponent,
  • said generic comments like he is open to any club/state type move as its ”out of my control”
  • Freo supporter growing up. Trained with Freo last summer and stood Fyfe in practise sessions (With Cox on big money contract and other Freo KPD they don’t seem to have an obvious need for him. Weagles still the poaching threat long term IMO).
  • enjoys watching Pav and Patty Cripps
  • played B/ball as other major sport over the years. And also loves surfing. Still wears knee braces/support as a superstition type thing mainly from his basketball days.
  • seems like an agreeable, respectful, smart, very humble and chilled (even surfy type) dude. Certainly knew his stats in very accurate detail though. Driven to improve and looking forward to hard work.

• played for Claremont FC (an exclusive part of Perth on coast with median house value 2.2m or 2.5x Perth median value)
  • went to Scotch college which he said is great for sports (clearly one of Perths most exclusive. Fees for high school 30-35k/year. Ave ATAR 89.5 and 98% kids graduated with 90% off to Uni). Already studying at Uni part time in physical/sports related degree but forget specifics
** Both these above points mean he is the equivalent of a top private school boy from Toorak or Brighton. Very glad we have 3 year contract and glad we will likely be seeing some decent team success within this 3 year period. With a close knit very affluent family (Dad is partner of Big4 Accg firm IIRC) and a large group of private school mates the call of home isn’t impossible to rule out - an above average risk player IMO. That’s purely based on generic situation - nothing at all from what he has said or indicated in any way - and hope I am 100% wrong here.

Would love to get even a 1-2 year extension relatively early for this lad (during year one / end of 2024). Not sure if we can offer him say 800k for year 4 and 5 and then “smooth“ this salary into his first few years so he is averaging 400-450k ish on average for each of his first 5 years.

As excited by this draft pick as any for a long long time. May be our best player in 4-5 years..

Seeing him at training and in matches last year he has the potential to be held in the same league as the greats of our club. Whether he can hit these heights is another matter. He is such a smooth mover and has that quarterback quality where time seems to slow down when has the ball.

Injury and go home factor only possible issues at this stage down track

Seeing him at training and in matches last year he has the potential to be held in the same league as the greats of our club. Whether he can hit these heights is another matter. He is such a smooth mover and has that quarterback quality where time seems to slow down when has the ball.

Injury and go home factor only possible issues at this stage down track
Jeez BM - this is a huge call for a kid just drafted who is yet to play a game. Very exciting !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jeez BM - this is a huge call for a kid just drafted who is yet to play a game. Very exciting !

Crazy call, I think some people have forgotten how good our greats were. Our best 4-5 players would likely account for over half our All Australian guernseys. Hopefully he is as good, but to say injury and go home are the only factors that will stop that occurring is absurd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Daniel Curtin - Debut

Back