Player Watch Daniel Curtin - Debut

When will Daniel Curtin play his 3rd game?

• Sometime during Rounds 17-20

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Ahhhh is it just me or does anyone else think Curtins game wasn’t that spectacular? Scored one decent-ish goal with a contested mark, and another completely unmarked in absolute junk time…

Outside of that he had 11 disposals, and looked OK, particular with his quality by foot.

A good game, but this ‘Dan Curtin’ has arrived is a bit laughable, if he wasn’t shoved forward in the last Q we would have said he’d had otherwise unremarkable game

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He hit targets, he is a great size and it's essentially his first game. I wouldn't worry about dissecting his game more than that at this stage.

If nothing else a real confidence booster to carry into the preseason.

Ahhhh is it just me or does anyone else think Curtins game wasn’t that spectacular? Scored one decent-ish goal with a contested mark, and another completely unmarked in absolute junk time…

Outside of that he had 11 disposals, and looked OK, particular with his quality by foot.

A good game, but this ‘Dan Curtin’ has arrived is a bit laughable, if he wasn’t shoved forward in the last Q we would have said he’d had otherwise unremarkable game

a total non-presence in the midfield. Genuinely good forward presence though. And a net positive game overall.

People are making insane extrapolations. But his game was good overall.

a total non-presence in the midfield. Genuinely good forward presence though. And a net positive game overall.

Maybe you were at the ground and couldn’t see it but on the telly you could see he had some very nice clean composed touches early in the game.

I don't think I've seen Curtin show even the slightest emotion the entire year, until he kicked a couple of goals and then you couldn't wipe the smile off his face!

Shame it didn't happen in round 1 or round 2.

He had to wait until round 22 have a full game whilst having to watch the Murphys the McHenrys, the Smiths, the Lairds
spud it up all season.

Nicks is a buffoon.

Took an injury for Nicks to play him in the position I’ve said he should be playing in for months.

So why is it then you have faith in him and not me?

I haven't been this excited about a kid since James Sellar announced himself as a force in Abu Dhabi

Was watching him at all the ball ps and throw wins while he was in the centre and he seemed very worried about his opponent rather than getting the ball. So maye he was given a defensive role while in the centre. Once forward he was very good.

Was watching him at all the ball ps and throw wins while he was in the centre and he seemed very worried about his opponent rather than getting the ball. So maye he was given a defensive role while in the centre. Once forward he was very good.
Was on Treloar in the D50 in the 2nd qtr from throw in/ ball up (can't remember) and got scored on.

defensively he isn't there yet.....offensively he looks good.

He hit targets, he is a great size and it's essentially his first game. I wouldn't worry about dissecting his game more than that at this stage.

If nothing else a real confidence booster to carry into the preseason.

Yeah exactly, I just didn't think it was the 2nd coming of Jesus like some people on this board do

Yeah exactly, I just didn't think it was the 2nd coming of Jesus like some people on this board do
I feel like you're fundamentally misinterpreting what a lot of posters have been saying if you think they wanted Curtin in because he's going to drastically improve our team immediately. People want him in because for a while now we've had nothing to lose by advancing his AFL experience and, potentially, development.

Yep, all those posters who had him down for 3 Brownlow votes are crazy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I liked some of his touches in the middle early

I liked some of his touches in the middle early

6 touches from 3/4 midfield time isn’t great. Was good that he got quite involved late in the game up forward and gives him some confidence at the level

Interesting Nicks sees him as a big bodied mid - but just a fair way (progressing though) with the contest work.

I feel like you're fundamentally misinterpreting what a lot of posters have been saying if you think they wanted Curtin in because he's going to drastically improve our team immediately. People want him in because for a while now we've had nothing to lose by advancing his AFL experience and, potentially, development.
A genuine open question. You don’t think playing a youngster (especially one who is 197cm) too early has any potential adverse impacts - McAsey style? I would have thought if he had played a handful of the first 10 games and had regular similar experiences to the Lions game (we don’t need to go there again) it could seriously dent a youngsters confidence relative to a “taste” (2 games) then going back to SANFL to the point he was named our best player before then playing the last quarter of the season

A genuine open question. You don’t think playing a youngster (especially one who is 197cm) too early has any potential adverse impacts - McAsey style? I would have thought if he had played a handful of the first 10 games and had regular similar experiences to the Lions game (we don’t need to go there again) it could seriously dent a youngsters confidence relative to a “taste” (2 games) then going back to SANFL to the point he was named our best player before then playing the last quarter of the season

Who is McAsey? 😊

I agree there’s risk (it’s why I used the word potential), and if that became apparent I hope we’d manage him and let him build confidence in reserves. So long as we don’t let him rot in seniors like McAsey, I don’t think there’s too much long-term harm. But we shouldn’t be afraid of even giving him a chance cause of this risk.

Earlier this year wasn’t an example of this though, because we grossly misused him. Now we’re playing him a bit more to his strengths, I’d be happy for him to be omitted if he’s still struggling at the level across multiple games and it’s impacting his confidence.

You hardly have a track record of being right about much at all, if anything, so forgive us if your opinion isn't taken with much seriousness.

You hardly have a track record of being right about much at all, if anything, so forgive us if your opinion isn't taken with much seriousness.
Perhaps play the ball not the man here.

I assume you rated Curtin's 7 possessions in the midfield in around 3 quarters highly? Take away his promising last quarter and it was an underwhelming game overall IMO - despite being in the thick of things. That said a (very) few little snippets of quality disposals was good to see

Perhaps play the ball not the man here.

I assume you rated Curtin's 7 possessions in the midfield in around 3 quarters highly? Take away his promising last quarter and it was an underwhelming game overall IMO - despite being in the thick of things. That said a (very) few little snippets of quality disposals was good to see
There is a middle ground though and Occy missed it by a long way

Most of us are happy with baby steps - dont need no stats to show whether he did or didnt get the ball

I saw a 5 minute patch where I thought he was lost and put that on the same issues Jones had - too much information

''run your lines'' etc

Just let the kid play and find his own pace - he will be a jet

There is a middle ground though and Occy missed it by a long way

Most of us are happy with baby steps - dont need no stats to show whether he did or didnt get the ball

I saw a 5 minute patch where I thought he was lost and put that on the same issues Jones had - too much information

''run your lines'' etc

Just let the kid play and find his own pace - he will be a jet
Hi GC, that’s all perfectly fair and reasonable mate. But for someone who was seemingly offended by comments I recently made (deemed PA) surely for consistency you would agree the following is playing the man - ugly Sanders style?

“You hardly have a track record of being right about much at all, if anything, so forgive us if your opinion isn't taken with much seriousness”

Last edited:
Hi GC, that’s all perfectly fair and reasonable mate. But for someone who was seemingly offended by comments I recently made (deemed PA, surely for consistency you would agree the following is playing the man - ugly Sanders style?

“You hardly have a track record of being right about much at all, if anything, so forgive us if your opinion isn't taken with much seriousness”
No - I thought it was spot on

Its like the abuse wayne cops and he gets it a lot - it was an intimation of their knowledge base

If that was directed at me I would laugh and carry on. I have a good sense of my own worth and how my opinions are judged

Ive been told once or twice on this board that I was wrong in so many different ways ie I was one of the rare few that thought Fogartys handball was not legit and should have been called HTB - I had my opinion and people told me I was wrong

Thats fine its how I saw it

Now if people call me an idiot or imbecile or slander my genuinely handsome looks I might get narky but most people have said Im an idiot in many more polite ways

No - I thought it was spot on

Its like the abuse wayne cops and he gets it a lot - it was an intimation of their knowledge base

If that was directed at me I would laugh and carry on. I have a good sense of my own worth and how my opinions are judged

Ive been told once or twice on this board that I was wrong in so many different ways ie I was one of the rare few that thought Fogartys handball was not legit and should have been called HTB - I had my opinion and people told me I was wrong

Thats fine its how I saw it

Now if people call me an idiot or imbecile or slander my genuinely handsome looks I might get narky but most people have said Im an idiot in many more polite ways
Haha, ok nicely played mate, you genuinely handsome beast of a man :) But then I can’t really understand how you were offended by a post of mine in the last 2 days calling it passive aggressive (it genuinely wasn’t trying to be) relative to this quite “direct” criticism of another poster.

Trying to find your post but it’s seemingly disappeared haha - you didn’t delete did you??!!

Anyway, let’s get Luko, Perryman, Welsh and Draper and come from 14/15th next year and finish top 4-6th. The competition is so tight it’s entirely possible - Horks style,

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Daniel Curtin - Debut

Back