Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Good call - knew I was forgetting someone.

Blakey's pace definitely goes close to (if it doesn't match) Rioli, and Holmes is probably close to.

I think it was a big call to say that none of them have "close to his pace".
in and out of traffic I dont think anyone is doing it better this year off HB

Sounds a little bit like youve not watched any half backs other than Rioli more than once this year
ok, glad to see you in another thread with your know it all opinions on all things RFC players related.

Clark who is probably the most apt comparison matches/beats him in most areas:

Also not playing in a team getting destroyed every week where his role is much much easier, but I still dont think he is as damaging. Again, its just opinion so all good

I think Short is a good example of a gun HB who has struggled in a wooden spoon team, where as Rioli has killed it demonstrating my point above.

ok, glad to see you in another thread with your know it all opinions on all things RFC players related.

Also no playing in a team getting destroyed every week where his role is much much easier, but I still dont think he is as damaging. Again, its just opinion so all good
Rioli hasn't spent any games playing kick to kick with Luke Ryan to pad the old stats up for AFL Fantasy coaches...

Rioli hasn't spent any games playing kick to kick with Luke Ryan to pad the old stats up for AFL Fantasy coaches...
yeah I think its easy to talk Rioli down, but anyone who has watched him every week would concede he has been incredible as a one man band back there.

Stats dont tell the full story either, the plays he sets up are ridiculous.

Also not playing in a team getting destroyed every week where his role is much much easier, but I still dont think he is as damaging. Again, its just opinion so all good
Is this that relevant though? Jake Lloyd's most prolific seasons for Sydney were when we were shit. Over the month where we were shit earlier this year, Matt Roberts was our best player and playing a very similar role.
I think Short is a good example of a gun HB who has struggled in a wooden spoon team, where as Rioli has killed it demonstrating my point above.
That's a fair point, but only if you look at this year in isolation. Richmond's gradual (prior to this year) fall down the ladder from 2020 onwards didn't seem to impede him too badly until this year. If anything, he was more prolific than he was in his flag years, as one would expect as the team is conceding more inside 50s.

Agree Short has fallen off a cliff this year though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo's defenders love to pad their stats - no arguments there - but even so, Rioli only averages an extra 0.5 contested possessions a game. It's not a huge difference.

Freo's defenders love to pad their stats - no arguments there - but even so, Rioli only averages an extra 0.5 contested possessions a game. It's not a huge difference.
Have you watched him much? Its the bang for buck you get from him

Is this that relevant though? Jake Lloyd's most prolific seasons for Sydney were when we were shit. Over the month where we were shit earlier this year, Matt Roberts was our best player and playing a very similar role.

That's a fair point, but only if you look at this year in isolation. Richmond's gradual (prior to this year) fall down the ladder from 2020 onwards didn't seem to impede him too badly until this year. If anything, he was more prolific than he was in his flag years, as one would expect as the team is conceding more inside 50s.

Agree Short has fallen off a cliff this year though.
Short hasnt been good for a while, plenty of it, but giving it back

Have you watched him much? Its the bang for buck you get from him
Yeah, Richmond are one of my most-watched sides, because they're one of the most widely-followed sides by my mates.

I also follow GC closely (the QLD teams are my second teams, being from here) and don't think Rioli is going to make a big enough difference to their side to be worthy of a top 10 pick.

If he was five years younger with his current output it'd be a different story, but if I was going to pay a top 10 pick for any rebound defender, I'd want them to be closer to the start than end of their career. Or at the very least it would need to be a huge list hole and I'd need to sincerely believe it could be a Premiership-winning receuit, which I don't think this would be for GC.

Again to reiterate what I said earlier, I think it's fair enough for Richmond to rate him more highly and want a top 10 pick, I just don't think GC should be willing to pay that.

Yeah, Richmond are one of my most-watched sides, because they're one of the most widely-followed sides by my mates.

I also follow GC closely (the QLD teams are my second teams, being from here) and don't think Rioli is going to make a big enough difference to their side to be worthy of a top 10 pick.

If he was five years younger with his current output it'd be a different story, but if I was going to pay a top 10 pick for any rebound defender, I'd want them to be closer to the start than end of their career. Or at the very least it would need to be a huge list hole and I'd need to sincerely believe it could be a Premiership-winning receuit, which I don't think this would be for GC.

Again to reiterate what I said earlier, I think it's fair enough for Richmond to rate him more highly and want a top 10 pick, I just don't think GC should be willing to pay that.

Obviously the Gold Coast footy department disagree with you.

Reading this thread….

Sipping Fred Melamed GIF by NOW WE'RE TALKING TV SERIES

God I look good in a suit

Rioli will get his chance to impress tomorrow with the Suns faithful watching and assessing his worth, with the pumping up some tigers fans are giving him as an A grader he could come off looking more like Raygunn

Obviously the Gold Coast footy department disagree with you.
How so?, it’s the VIC media that have mentioned pick 5 (as overs). Doesn’t mean the Suns see him as worthy of that price, what’s your source for the GC football department gushing for Daniel?

Apologies if I have misunderstood

I think this is the point that keeps being overloooked.

They seemed to have settled the young draftees, well done but they dont attract mature A graders, not yet anyway. So when a proven gun player with loads of finals experience wants to come, they will make it happen even if it means over paying. Now what that over pay looks like, its any ones guess.
Yep spot on. If Rioli moves we will get overs. A club in GC position are sort of forced into this anyway. A club goiing into their 15th season without even making the 8 once reeks of desperation. They'll pay more than the average club, a lot more

Yep spot on. If Rioli moves we will get overs. A club in GC position are sort of forced into this anyway. A club goiing into their 15th season without even making the 8 once reeks of desperation. They'll pay more than the average club, a lot more
Do you mean like 7 year contracts for the likes of Hopper desperate?

Do you mean like 7 year contracts for the likes of Hopper desperate?
Exactly like the Hopper trade, yes
I guess the only difference is Richnond went to the trade-in well once too often. I can live with thatthough considering the 3 flags
Hope you get to experience something like that one day Iva

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back