Player Watch Darcy Fogarty (c)

How many goals will Darcy Fogarty kick in 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
Aw yeah.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Best South Australian in the draft

Tomorrows%20Heroes%2019%20Darcy%20Fogarty.jpg

From Knightmare 's phantom draft on ESPN: Knightmare's November phantom draft

4 North Melbourne then later 6 Collingwood - Darcy Fogarty
Height, Weight:
192cm, 95kg
Summary Profile: Powerful, but athletic utility with clean skills. If not for an injury-riddled 2017 he might be in the pick one conversation.

From Brett Anderson on SEN Brett Anderson's 2017 AFL Mock Draft

1497089401143.jpg

6. Collingwood
Darcy FOGARTY
25-Sep-99 | 191.9cm | 94.5kg | Glenelg

The Magpies could go a number of ways with their first selection but opt for the talented South Australian inb a real toss of the coin. If Brayshaw falls through he could be the man, while they'll also look long and hard at Jaidyn Stephenson and Aaron Naughton. They've also been linked to Nathan Murphy. The whisper that has been doing the rounds in recent days is that they could take Ed Richards – that would throw things into chaos!
Who else? Andrew Brayshaw, Aaron Naughton, Jaidyn Stephenson, Nathan Murphy, Ed Richards

(what a crap discussion of the player - the whole paragraph is bet-hedging, for simplicity i've highlighted the bits discussing the player in green)

96da032d5c39ef794f1e74a32b734ade

From Bishop 's mock draft: Phantom Draft - Bishop's 2017 Draft Thread

Pick 5: Fremantle – Darcy FOGARTY

General Forward (Glenelg/South Australia)
05/09/1999 | 191.9cm | 94.5kg

Scouting notes: Strongly built forward that can push into the midfield. Played up forward for South Australia in last year’s Under 18 Championships booting seven goals. Fogarty played a strong game in the midfield for Glenelg in their finals last year and has been tried as a third tall defender at stages throughout 2017. Has the ability to kick off either foot and can lay bone-crunching tackles. He is more of a third tall than an inside midfielder at this stage. Was ruled out for the season with a meniscus tear in his knee.

In the mix: Few whispers suggesting that Cerra won’t be a Fremantle player which leaves the decision down to probably Fogarty or Naughton.

From zookota123 's mock draft: Zookotas 2017 AFL Phantom Draft Round 1+2

Pick 10 Carlton- Darcy Fogarty- Utility players like Darcy don't come around too often and when they do you should pounce. I haven't seen aggression in a player like Darcy in a very long time. It is a positive aggression that he uses well in his advantage for his gameplay. His balance is also impeccable and reminds me of Dustin Martin when he fends people off when the ball is in his hands and being tackled by three players at once and still standing on his feet delivering the ball with ease and no strain in his face making it look easy. He reminds me of a pitbull dog and will go attack that ball using his smarts,skill and fast pace evasiveness while showing great courage. In 2016 he was phenomenal and my clear number 1 for this years draft, but he suffered a knee injury this year which impacted on his whole year. I saw one of his videos this year with him talking about his footy and he is very mature and a level headed young man. He understood that he had a knee injury and that he could play without having any pain while his knee was strapped, but he also knew he could cause more damage to his knee if he over performed. He was in the catch 22 where he had to perform well to show recruiters his worth. If you are taking the best player in the draft and disregarding a teams needs than Darcy would be my clear choice and being a utility who could be an elite star for a long time. Look at past drafts with utility players such as Stringer, Bontempelli, Fyfe. Don't be surprised if he gets a free pass to go to Adelaide at pick 12.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maybe our coaches could have suggested this after the grand final loss instead of a dumb camp? lol.

Whilst I'm not a sportsman and have no professional training in psychology, I have personally found that when I'm feeling confident I'm like a totally different employee. Surely in elite sport, watched by thousands of people, the effect of confidence is even greater.

Must have worked for Seed too because he was terrific in the last couple years. Can't help but think we may have won another match or two if he were around this year.
Indeed. A huge out from last year.

In terms of raw skill, Tex probably is one of the best forwards in this era. What does him in though is he didn't have the career to justify that call though. Too many down years, either due to ACL or due to the club imploding. Whereas someone like Hawkins, Cameron, Kennedy spent a decade being that 40-80 goal guy.

If this is legit from Fog (and it looks legit), and he gets a bit of luck with health/form, he has a genuine shot at eclipisng Tex.
I think the only thing that separates Walker from Hawkins is longevity/injury...their stats are remarkably similar and in fact Tex shades Hawkins in most categories but it's undeniable that Hawkins has done it for an extra 100 games despite being only a year and a bit older. But as players I don't think loses anything by comparison.

Screen Shot 2022-08-16 at 3.42.23 pm.png

I think the only thing that separates Walker from Hawkins is longevity/injury...their stats are remarkably similar and in fact Tex shades Hawkins in most categories but it's undeniable that Hawkins has done it for an extra 100 games despite being only a year and a bit older. But as players I don't think loses anything by comparison.

View attachment 1479489
Gee you wouldn’t pick them as the same weight with Hawkins 4cms taller as well.

10.8 disposals (71.7 KE%)/4.8 marks (1.8 contested)/2.5 goals/0.6 goal assists/5.9 score involvements/234.6 meters gained/1.5 tackles.

Seeing we're at the end of the season, that's one serious breakout stretch from the Fog.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

10.8 disposals (71.7 KE%)/4.8 marks (1.8 contested)/2.5 goals/0.6 goal assists/5.9 score involvements/234.6 meters gained/1.5 tackles.

Seeing we're at the end of the season, that's one serious breakout stretch from the Fog.
Compares quite decently with Walker in the same period, who was at 13.4 disposals, 5.5 marks (1.8 contested), 2.6 goals, 0.7 goal assists, 7.8 score involvements, 2.3 tackles. And in the last month of the season Fogarty was definitely the more influential of the two.

An elite key forward duo we will have for next year at least. One of the biggest positives of this season.

Compares quite decently with Walker in the same period, who was at 13.4 disposals, 5.5 marks (1.8 contested), 2.6 goals, 0.7 goal assists, 7.8 score involvements, 2.3 tackles. And in the last month of the season Fogarty was definitely the more influential of the two.

An elite key forward duo we will have for next year at least. One of the biggest positives of this season.

Not sure Walker's candle hasnt burned out tbh, was awful this week.

Not sure Walker's candle hasnt burned out tbh, was awful this week.
I personally think he has a couple more years but we'll see. His ToG% has been down quite a bit in the last month (81.2% on average down from 92.5% in the previous month and 88.5% for the season) so it's possible he's been struggling a bit at the tail end of the season. But overall I think he'll be fine for next year.

If you look at the raw stats in the disposals and marks, I don’t think there has been much of significant change. However, if you look at the overall impact, that’s where lies the dramatic change. He’s taking marks when the team needs it, and running out games more strongly with better 4th quarter contributions.

The quality has always been there from the start. It’s now the quality mixed with the consistency, which is what we’ve all been hoping and waiting for.

If you look at the raw stats in the disposals and marks, I don’t think there has been much of significant change. However, if you look at the overall impact, that’s where lies the dramatic change. He’s taking marks when the team needs it, and running out games more strongly with better 4th quarter contributions.

The quality has always been there from the start. It’s now the quality mixed with the consistency, which is what we’ve all been hoping and waiting for.

Nah, there is a significant change in his underlying stats from that period compared to the rest of his career. I mean, even disposals, 8.8 to 10.2 is a what ~15% increase in output? 3.1 marks to 4.5 is a pretty big jump as well.

Things clicked for Fog, and in a pretty big way.

Nah, there is a significant change in his underlying stats from that period compared to the rest of his career. I mean, even disposals, 8.8 to 10.2 is a what ~15% increase in output? 3.1 marks to 4.5 is a pretty big jump as well.

Things clicked for Fog, and in a pretty big way.
That’s not a big jump! Just glimpsing at it quickly, he’s improved from 9 disposals average to 10 and 3 marks average to 4...

I’d argue that general increase in stats is Fog being fitter and be a more consistent 4-quarter player, instead of previously a 2 to 3-quarter player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Darcy Fogarty (c)

Back