Player Watch Darcy Fogarty (c)

How many goals will Darcy Fogarty kick in 2023?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
Aw yeah.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Best South Australian in the draft

Tomorrows%20Heroes%2019%20Darcy%20Fogarty.jpg

From Knightmare 's phantom draft on ESPN: Knightmare's November phantom draft

4 North Melbourne then later 6 Collingwood - Darcy Fogarty
Height, Weight:
192cm, 95kg
Summary Profile: Powerful, but athletic utility with clean skills. If not for an injury-riddled 2017 he might be in the pick one conversation.

From Brett Anderson on SEN Brett Anderson's 2017 AFL Mock Draft

1497089401143.jpg

6. Collingwood
Darcy FOGARTY
25-Sep-99 | 191.9cm | 94.5kg | Glenelg

The Magpies could go a number of ways with their first selection but opt for the talented South Australian inb a real toss of the coin. If Brayshaw falls through he could be the man, while they'll also look long and hard at Jaidyn Stephenson and Aaron Naughton. They've also been linked to Nathan Murphy. The whisper that has been doing the rounds in recent days is that they could take Ed Richards – that would throw things into chaos!
Who else? Andrew Brayshaw, Aaron Naughton, Jaidyn Stephenson, Nathan Murphy, Ed Richards

(what a crap discussion of the player - the whole paragraph is bet-hedging, for simplicity i've highlighted the bits discussing the player in green)

96da032d5c39ef794f1e74a32b734ade

From Bishop 's mock draft: Phantom Draft - Bishop's 2017 Draft Thread

Pick 5: Fremantle – Darcy FOGARTY

General Forward (Glenelg/South Australia)
05/09/1999 | 191.9cm | 94.5kg

Scouting notes: Strongly built forward that can push into the midfield. Played up forward for South Australia in last year’s Under 18 Championships booting seven goals. Fogarty played a strong game in the midfield for Glenelg in their finals last year and has been tried as a third tall defender at stages throughout 2017. Has the ability to kick off either foot and can lay bone-crunching tackles. He is more of a third tall than an inside midfielder at this stage. Was ruled out for the season with a meniscus tear in his knee.

In the mix: Few whispers suggesting that Cerra won’t be a Fremantle player which leaves the decision down to probably Fogarty or Naughton.

From zookota123 's mock draft: Zookotas 2017 AFL Phantom Draft Round 1+2

Pick 10 Carlton- Darcy Fogarty- Utility players like Darcy don't come around too often and when they do you should pounce. I haven't seen aggression in a player like Darcy in a very long time. It is a positive aggression that he uses well in his advantage for his gameplay. His balance is also impeccable and reminds me of Dustin Martin when he fends people off when the ball is in his hands and being tackled by three players at once and still standing on his feet delivering the ball with ease and no strain in his face making it look easy. He reminds me of a pitbull dog and will go attack that ball using his smarts,skill and fast pace evasiveness while showing great courage. In 2016 he was phenomenal and my clear number 1 for this years draft, but he suffered a knee injury this year which impacted on his whole year. I saw one of his videos this year with him talking about his footy and he is very mature and a level headed young man. He understood that he had a knee injury and that he could play without having any pain while his knee was strapped, but he also knew he could cause more damage to his knee if he over performed. He was in the catch 22 where he had to perform well to show recruiters his worth. If you are taking the best player in the draft and disregarding a teams needs than Darcy would be my clear choice and being a utility who could be an elite star for a long time. Look at past drafts with utility players such as Stringer, Bontempelli, Fyfe. Don't be surprised if he gets a free pass to go to Adelaide at pick 12.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the argument against the 'he just needed to get fit' is that he's improved all areas of his game (obviously didn't need to improve kicking) in particular his marking.

He's now taking contested run and jump marks as well as 1v1 wrestling marks. I wouldn't say he was terrible at this early on, but very inconsistent. His hands and body work are getting better with experience.
Go back and watch his first year highlight video, his marking was one of his strong points back then.
I remember watching his games and he would provide a great lead, and the ball would be kicked over his head or to another lead.
You have to demand the ball, and now that his team mates know what he can do, you notice more of them are looking for him and honouring his leads.
It wasn't all about him, as up until recently our team was absolutely Tex focused. Now I think its truly 50 50

Go back and watch his first year highlight video, his marking was one of his strong points back then.
I remember watching his games and he would provide a great lead, and the ball would be kicked over his head or to another lead.
You have to demand the ball, and now that his team mates know what he can do, you notice more of them are looking for him and honouring his leads.
It wasn't all about him, as up until recently our team was absolutely Tex focused. Now I think its truly 50 50
The last half of the season Fog began to grow in confidence and own the forward line imo. I would say it's 60 40 Fog focused now. The good thing is that we now have two players our opposition need to worry about so one should be able to get off the chain if the other one is being focused on by the opposition. Throw in some decent smalls and our forward line is looking a lot more potent.

Just checked some of Fog’s highlights this year. I want to highlight this mark he took in the last round vs Port:

It won’t likely win the mark of the year, but I reckon in terms of difficulty, that was probably one of the most difficult marks you can do as a forward - running full flight at the ball, and with a big gorilla-sized opponent (Jonas) doing the judo wrap around him during the entire duration of the mark.

I’ve got a personal story that is the very opposite of this. Having dislocated my shoulder downwards a couple of months earlier, I lined up at Richmond oval for Pooraka in an u17 GF. After starting well and having a good first quarter, my shoulder dislocated when putting my arms up to stand the mark in the second. I was near the bench and just walked straight to it and the opponent with the ball just ran straight forward through what should have been my mark. And it wasn’t even a downward dislocation and was back in place by the time I made the bench. I’ve numerous regrets in terms of my football, but that effort I’ll never forget. I just had to stand there for a few more seconds.

I’ve got a personal story that is the very opposite of this. Having dislocated my shoulder downwards a couple of months earlier, I lined up at Richmond oval for Pooraka in an u17 GF. After starting well and having a good first quarter, my shoulder dislocated when putting my arms up to stand the mark in the second. I was near the bench and just walked straight to it and the opponent with the ball just ran straight forward through what should have been my mark. And it wasn’t even a downward dislocation and was back in place by the time I made the bench. I’ve numerous regrets in terms of my football, but that effort I’ll never forget. I just had to stand there for a few more seconds.

THAT WAS YOU! I had money on Pooraka in that Grand Final. Thanks a lot.

Somebody out there is offering Fogarty huge money unfortunately, we are going to have to pay up Rankine money

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'm sure given our list we can afford to pay Fog a fair salary... & I doubt he will want to leave now he is settled in the side & performing consistently well.

I'm sure given our list we can afford to pay Fog a fair salary... & I doubt he will want to leave now he is settled in the side & performing consistently well.
Sloane and Walkers money will likely be off our books end of next. Can see both retiring unless they give walker another year extension. Seedsman, Crouch, Brown salaries will be off our books end of next as well. That's around 3million.

Sloane and Walkers money will likely be off our books end of next. Can see both retiring unless they give walker another year extension. Seedsman, Crouch, Brown salaries will be off our books end of next as well. That's more than 3million.
Yes, with the youngest list, our main issue is paying the minimum cap not how do we squeeze them all in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, with the youngest list, our main issue is paying the minimum cap not how do we squeeze them all in.
Yep, have to assume in the next 12-24 months Sloane, Smith, Brown and Tex will be off the books, (maybe Tex playing on if his form/body holds up).

But the 4 of them retiring will clear the decks for some big offers to young stars.

Thank * he had that one game with more than 13 disposals, otherwise there was no way we would have extended his contract

Personally just glad we changed everything as a club between round 10 and 11 this year. All of those things holding Darcy back just magically changed that week and the rest is history!!!!!

I don't know whether it was us showing him the extra faith (despite him being in the SANFL 2 weeks prior), our miraculous improvement of inside 50 delivery, Taylor walker sometimes taking the #1 defender, to us not kicking the ball to only Taylor Walker - lets forever remember that 7 day period as the day our club started the climb out of the rebuild.

Personally just glad we changed everything as a club between round 10 and 11 this year. All of those things holding Darcy back just magically changed that week and the rest is history!!!!!

I don't know whether it was us showing him the extra faith (despite him being in the SANFL 2 weeks prior), our miraculous improvement of inside 50 delivery, Taylor walker sometimes taking the #1 defender, to us not kicking the ball to only Taylor Walker - lets forever remember that 7 day period as the day our club started the climb out of the rebuild.
I know this is post is sarcasm but I'd like to know what changed that had him go from being completely ineffectual in the first few rounds to dominating in the second half of the year. Rahilly mentioned that it was about attacking the footy and not wrestling with his opponent so much. That can't be all of it though. It really looked like somebody lit a fire under him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Darcy Fogarty (c)

Back