Player Watch Darcy Moore (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

In Billy's case this is pretty bad as he has missed games and also played up forward.

One other thing to be said is that I have noticed for eg that blokes like Larkey have had days when they have taken marks against opposition but have had bad kicking days which means that some defenders can concede a lot of marks without them going down as goals.

I notice that Cornes had another whack at Moore last night but was a bit surprised he gave Weitering an out for standing next to Hogan who was taking pack marks. He reckoned he was sore because of a bit of a corky but he seemed to be moving freely. And he justified this to say how important Weitering is. This was the first time that their middies allowed the ball to come in like as avalanche as it often does in our opposition attack. Does he really believe that a fully fit Weitering was going to stop all those balls going in from being scores?
And another thing, Moore was on the ABC last night on some woke program and he says that he will be shouting Petracca dinner when the Dee gets well again. He had to try to break the darts score of all the other sportsman they had had on the program and he basically doubled their scores. :)
Interesting about what was said about Weitering on Hogan. The ball was belting down there.

Weitering is everyone's darling this year as the Blues aren't generally getting big scores kicked on them and he's having a great year (I reckon he's a gun).

In last year's Prelim Final against Brissy the Blues got off to a huge start you'll recall. However, when Brissy came back they did so with an avalanche of goals through domination in the middle. At one stage in that avalanche Weitering had 5 goals in a row kicked on him - I repeat 5 in a row.

It just goes to show you how important pressure and defence up the ground is for backman - especially the key backs who have the gun goal kickers to mind.

Interesting about what was said about Weitering on Hogan. The ball was belting down there.

Weitering is everyone's darling this year as the Blues aren't generally getting big scores kicked on them and he's having a great year (I reckon he's a gun).

In last year's Prelim Final against Brissy the Blues got off to a huge start you'll recall. However, when Brissy came back they did so with an avalanche of goals through domination in the middle. At one stage in that avalanche Weitering had 5 goals in a row kicked on him - I repeat 5 in a row.

It just goes to show you how important pressure and defence up the ground is for backman - especially the key backs who have the gun goal kickers to mind.
This sums it up. Darcy Moore is trying to hold together a backline facing a deluge. It can't be done. The achievements of these backs in general are huge. Our team problems are further up the field. The expectations on Collingwood this year have been quite unrealistic, once the injuries to top players got out of hand. The way the team held on when at half strength has only led people to believe that they should be doing better. They have overachieved, and the back line is largely the cause.

The fact that there are 2 of them there indicates that it is the system.

Who are the seven players that have had more goals kicked on them? I bet that the majority are key backs as key backs have to play on the guys that kick most of the goals.
There aren't 2 of them , the graph included all our defenders.

Only 7 Defenders in the whole AFL have been worse than Darcy this season, it's indisputable.

it's not Darcy's fault that he looks so bad....its the system

last year when he looked good, it was the system too. In fact, we're not sure whether he's a good or bad footballer. Ww have no way to judge what impact he is having because he is merely doing what the system is telling him to do.

Can't take the praise awards etc then blame the system for the failures.

There aren't 2 of them , the graph included all our defenders.

Only 7 Defenders in the whole AFL have been worse than Darcy this season, it's indisputable.
Worse? That’s your interpretation.

You mean that the graph shows 7 defenders have had more goals kicked on them in total?

He’s played every game so who knows how many games others have played on the list.

I’d like to know who are the 7 who have had more. I’ll bet they’re key backs.

That literally makes no sense in any way whatsoever.

How?

We can't slap him on the back and go Moore is the best FB in the comp give him AA captain etc then when he plays awful just blame the system and not the player.

Surely you can't be that one eyed.

How?

We can't slap him on the back and go Moore is the best FB in the comp give him AA captain etc then when he plays awful just blame the system and not the player.

Because the system involves the whole team .. if the mids & other players aren't playing to the system, it all falls apart.

Because the system involves the whole team .. if the mids & other players aren't playing to the system, it all falls apart.

The one on ones he is losing, Larkey kicking 4 in a quarter, that's all to blame on the system and not Moore?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The one on ones he is losing, having Larkey kick 4 in a quarter, that's all to blame on the system and not Moore?
Full forwards kick multiple goals on defenders each week. It happens.

If the system was working, perhaps it may have been 1-3 instead? Would that be a pass mark against one of the best ff's in the comp?

Last edited:
How?

Surely you can't be that dim?

The system helps you play well when it's working and can make you look like your playing badly when it's not working. It's not rocket science.

Surely you understand how hard it is to defend when the ball is coming out of the middle towards you with no pressure from upfield and loads of space in front of you?

Conversely, how much easier it is to defend when there is pressure upfield and thus little space?

He's an awesome player who is not at his best at the moment as his confidence is down, but this is a big part to do with the systems not working.

Btw, in your post that I quoted you suggested that Darcy himself takes the "praise awards" and blames the systems now. I've never heard Darcy make any excuses.

The one on ones he is losing, Larkey kicking 4 in a quarter, that's all to blame on the system and not Moore?
It's funny that you pull out this example as it is the ultimate example of the system being largely at fault.

There was no pressure from us in that quarter and then multiple turnovers in the midfield when we did get our hands on it.

3 of the 4 goals that Larkey kicked were almost impossible to stop as they were from upfield turnovers that left acres of space. There was only one goal that Moore could have potentially stopped and that was the one that Larkey marked on the goal line when the post got in the way. Jesus Christ, Buddha and Mohammed combined would have stopped the other 3.

Surely you can't be that dim?

The system helps you play well when it's working and can make you look like your playing badly when it's not working. It's not rocket science.

Surely you understand how hard it is to defend when the ball is coming out of the middle towards you with no pressure from upfield and loads of space in front of you?

Conversely, how much easier it is to defend when there is pressure upfield and thus little space?

He's an awesome player who is not at his best at the moment as his confidence is down, but this is a big part to do with the systems not working.

Btw, in your post that I quoted you suggested that Darcy himself takes the "praise awards" and blames the systems now. I've never heard Darcy make any excuses.

I'm sure Darcy is smart enough to know how badly out of form he currently is.

It's just our dumb supporters who can't.

Not to mention that nearly every single poster here has also acknowledged it.
Bizarre isn't it? No one has said Moore or the team are playing well. It's obvious the whole side is down on form, pressure, tackling, our system is breaking down, we look unrecognisable.. hence why we've lost the last 2 & sitting outside the 8.

I reckon that Moore is just playing a different role this year because Murph used to allow him to intercept aggressively and become a runner out of defence. Now he is stuck down the last line of defence trying to play a negating role hence he has changed from someone who used to mark and run a lot to somebody fixated on spoiling. Why else would he be the #1 spoiler in the AFL. This role is more suited to Dean but is he trusted to do this?

Fantastic performance by Darcy in conversations in cars.....Abbey steered the conversation to cars and driving but it was Darcy who seamlessly embellished the whole conversation. He really shows skills in this aspect of his performance. We really need to look for opportunities to use darcy's skills in this area.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back