Player Watch Darcy Moore

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It also screams rubbish haircut
Seems like he did it by his own hand

That kind of job as opposed to being ripped off at the salon.

It’s his hair so he can do as pleases I guess

Apple doesn't fall far from the tree

Plays well at times but in consistent, so happy to trade back a 1 and two ( Murray pick ) but more likely a Lloyd Or a alir alir and a 2nd

Gary rohan?

My thoughts are that players re-signing with their clubs often do so for less money than they'd get elsewhere. For this reason their managers are often keen to gauge the interest of other clubs, and then to use this interest to negotiate something closer to the player's 'market' value. It happens a lot, I see no reason to think it isn't happening in this case, and nor is there anything wrong with it.

So players test the market in order not to be taken for granted, but I think that the position of father-sons adds a layer of complexity. I wonder if a player and their manager in such circumstances might have a fear that the sentimental/familial connection with the club further erodes their chances of getting a fuller contract. I then wonder if this creates an even greater imperative to determine what other clubs --or at least one other club-- would be willing to pay for that player.

Just my random thoughts. I think that Moore will stay, but I'm not sure we should get too bitter if he doesn't. I just hope he does everything he can this season to inflate the value of his next contract, because that'd be good for all of us.

This reeks of the Brodie Grundy discussion a few years back.

"He isn't THAT good"
"He gives away too many free kicks"
"Keep Witts, trade Grundy"
"Get a good pick for Grundy and trade to get Patton/Hogan/other"

Fact is, we persisted with Grundy and he is now a potential AA Ruckman. He is irreplaceable.

Moore will be similar. We're talking about a kid who is very young, has only played 50 games, and is 1-2 seasons short in development due to injuries. At 25 he'll be ripping games apart. Can play forward or back.

Tom Lynch is a great player too, no doubt. Better as a forward than Darcy right now, for sure. But I still wouldn't give up Darcy. We don't even know if he is considering this offer. Just because Swans want him doesn't mean he wants them. As a young player he SHOULD be shopping himself a bit - it drives his value up. That is just smart. But he would want to stay at the pies.

All Barrett has said is that he knows Swans are interested in Moore, basically; a totally Captain Obvious statement - i bet there are at least 8 clubs who want someone like him next year and may have the cap room or trades to try and make it happen.

But he doesn't say anything about Moore WANTING to go, because he 99.9% doesn't have any idea about that. This story is just news-making for Barrett's sake. It's what he gets paid to do - create interest to sell papers or screen time.

We don't even know if he is considering this offer. Just because Swans want him doesn't mean he wants them. As a young player he SHOULD be shopping himself a bit - it drives his value up. That is just smart. But he would want to stay at the pies.
yep, this.

"He isn't THAT good"

Fact is, we persisted with Grundy and he is now a potential AA Ruckman. He is irreplaceable.

Moore will be similar. We're talking about a kid who is very young, has only played 50 games, and is 1-2 seasons short in development due to injuries. At 25 he'll be ripping games apart. Can play forward or back.

Tom Lynch is a great player too, no doubt. Better as a forward than Darcy right now, for sure. But I still wouldn't give up Darcy. We don't even know if he is considering this offer. Just because Swans want him doesn't mean he wants them. As a young player he SHOULD be shopping himself a bit - it drives his value up. That is just smart. But he would want to stay at the pies.

What Moore Sr said in a presser before the season started was interesting, it paints a picture of the kind world we are put in with free agency taking shape.

Even more so now that he is starting to influence his son's football career, similar to David Cloke with Travis at around the same age. I wonder if Peter is thinking Darcy will be wrecked mentally by the time he is 28.
A lot of good footy players who play for Sydney have a good work/life balance and able to enjoy their surroundings more than living in Melbourne.

I want to hear Darcy's response to the matter, but sometimes I wonder who has more ability to decide where their best footy is going to be played. Collingwood is not a big destination club in reality. Perhaps he will hold off his contract until he knows what his role is going to be beyond 2018.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The story here is "Swan's have decided on who they are going to target next offseason". For all we know, someone at the swans has thrown Barrett a bone because it was a slow news day.

Would it be groundbreaking if a news story came out like "Collingwood have identified they are going to target Tom Lynch this offseason"? No. There will be several clubs targeting Darcy, Barrett is just twisting "Swan's are interested in Darcy" into "Swans are a strong chance to land Darcy next season".

He does this crap all the time. Said Fyfe was leaving, North was getting Sidebottom, Cripps was going back to WA. Zero credibility.

One of the fastest 200cm players I've ever seen, can mark and kick goals. He's 22, we can build a team around him for the next 7, 8 years.
I can see this and you can see this, are you standing on your head because I'm not. Darcy is the real deal, a few hamstring set backs but once he gets a solid body of football, watch out, he has everything a KPP in today's games needs.

Get on board people, kids a gun like his Dad (until he left, then he was Sh1t to me)

"He isn't THAT good"

That's all true. If we lose Darcy and then he goes on to develop to his potential, it'll be a big loss.

But if he wants out due to wanting a different culture or being offered a heap more money than we think he's worth, there's not much you can do. I don't think it'd be good for a footy club to force blokes to stay if they didn't want to be there. I'm not saying this is the case with Darcy; I've got no idea.

It's interesting how things are going with salaries and some teams being willing to pay a massive premium for potential talent over actual performance. The way I see it, if you are looking to challenge, you need a fair few good players, thus you shouldn't spend a huge chunk of your salary cap on a bloke who at the moment only contributes 10 possessions a game and doesn't offer a huge defensive presence. I can envisage it getting to a stage where teams at the bottom of the ladder who have decided that they can't challenge for a while, poach a lot of the talented youngsters, with huge salaries not-commensurate with current output, whereas the teams who are trying to challenge pay salaries that are more based on performance.

Think Darce will probably stay if offered a good contract and Bucks coaches well. But the Swans' story has merit...

Tippett was supposedly going to Gold Coast and the Swans landed him (Fwd/second ruck would be the role they would see Darce in)

Buddy was supposedly going to GWS and the Swans landed him

The SCG has a great atmosphere with only 35,000 people, the fans are noisy and easygoing (if a little dim), and the public leaves AFL players alone when they are hanging out at Bondi or clubbing

On top of this, Swans' coterie provide players with internships and well-paid, post-footy corporate jobs better than any Vic-based club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back