Darren Burgess

Remove this Banner Ad

Indeed, but did his excess running regime mean we didn't spend enough time practicing the most useful skill in footy, kicking goals? We will never know.

Burgo has pluses and minuses and people will argue their position on each of them based on their biases. I never bought the he over cooked us thinking. IMO he forgot it is a combat sport and the oppo worked us out, their thinking was - make it a stoppage game against Port, don't let them run, fatigue them with lots of bash and crash at stoppages, so that when we win the ball, they have to chase us fatigued. When that happened the players no longer bought the bullshit that we are so much fitter than everyone else and the mental edge of 2013 and 2014 was lost.

A week ago I saw another photo gallery the club put up on the website of the guys doing a hard gym session. I thought to myself, we didn't get many of these type of photos in the Burgo era. Is this driven by Mackers??

The 2 best things Burgo did, after making sure the players were all fit enough to run out of game and a season after 4 years of being unfit, were 1) employing Ian Mckeown as his strength and conditioning coach when he returned at the end of 2012, and 2) set up the Burgo academy and stuff with Uni's so that we would attract PHD candidates like Stu Graham and others and have a ready made stream of potential replacements.

If we win a flag, or even back to back, clubs will come after Ian and Stu, but hopefully the soft cap means they can't offer them a grandfather offer and pinch them. Stopping North American sports and Euro soccer clubs is another thing.

Mackers regime has seen us put on size and strength the last 3 years or so, so that we are more than skinny middle distance runners who can run all day. We have players who can run and are strong enough for the combat phase of the game.
Yep. The best thing Burgo did is create a culture of world class sports performance.

Critique him all you like but he left the place in FAR better shape than he found it and ready to grow even further.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yep. The best thing Burgo did is create a culture of world class sports performance.

Critique him all you like but he left the place in FAR better shape than he found it and ready to grow even further.

It really wasn't that hard to leave the place in better shape than he found it. When he took over we were a complete cluster****. Cam Falloon had us just about ready to compete in A1's.

Yeah, he got us to an acceptable standard, but then he totally cooked us and that can't be denied. The amount of frustration he caused me having to watch our boys labour out for a pre-game warm up, fumbling the ball around and looking like they were wearing lead boots. If you were at the game, you could tell if we'd been overworked during the week and were in for a loss just from our warm-ups.

He used our club for his own personal experiments and it's unforgivable for me. His job was to get the boys ready for football each weekend, not to provide the best running data.

Crows can have him

It really wasn't that hard to leave the place in better shape than he found it. When he took over we were a complete clusterfu**. Cam Falloon had us just about ready to compete in A1's.

Yeah, he got us to an acceptable standard, but then he totally cooked us and that can't be denied. The amount of frustration he caused me having to watch our boys labour out for a pre-game warm up, fumbling the ball around and looking like they were wearing lead boots. If you were at the game, you could tell if we'd been overworked during the week and were in for a loss just from our warm-ups.

He used our club for his own personal experiments and it's unforgivable for me. His job was to get the boys ready for football each weekend, not to provide the best running data.

Crows can have him
We are far more than acceptable now, we are league leading.

Not arguing Burgo didn't cook the players.

I am arguing he created a world class culture that attracted world class people and has helped them deliver world class results .

Burgess is an unstable narcissist with the ego to go with it. No one who isnt atleast a fair bit odd would have the record he does of flopping around all over the world on a yearly basis and never settling anywhere.

I think he is a good transformer of fitness regimes, but he is never a long term fit. He will restructure the crows fitness department and get it on track and then **** off to his next project that would satiate his ego.

He's not a business as usual fitness coach, he likes projects. Probably why Arsenal got rid of him so quickly, they had no need for that as they are already world class.

He will be fine for the Crows to get them pointing in the right direction, but he'll **** off to the next great thing with the lower limb holocaust machine in tow.

Can you define what you mean by world class results?
The smallest injury list in the league for 2 years running, in one of the most physically demanding leagues in the world, whilst performing at a high level.

Yeah high performance managers that get their team to perform at a high level are pretty overrated. Also he ended Boaks career even though Boak thinks he can play till 40.

The guy is very good at what he does. but I'd take someone slightly less good, with less of a reputation, who will actually stick around.

When has he got a team to perform at a high level for more than just a one year spike?

Big name but has next to **** all to show on his CV in terms of actual practical success. He's one of those academics who presents extremely well but his track record doesn't show anything sensational to suggest that teams should be frothing at the mouth to get him. I thought he did well managing the loads of our older players in 2007 - and he really was a difference in 2013-14 when we out ran teams consistently. At the same time, the 13-14 years in particular, that wasn't much more than Port Adelaide as a club identifying a market inefficiency whereby teams are not investing enough into their high performance teams. Port beefed up in that area, we pushed our players more than other sides and were far and away the fittest side in the comp. But once teams caught up, Burgess was no longer a point of difference to give us an advantage.

His stints at Liverpool and Arsenal - whilst impressive on paper, resulted to nothing in terms of on field success. And his time at Melbourne so far has been a flop despite him joining the club coming off a prelim final in 2018. Even his time with the Socceroos - what exactly did it amount to?

He's a great name to have to bring credibility to an organisation, but practically he leaves much to be desired.

Good luck to the Crows. This is just another one of those "one ups on Port" they will no doubt try to lather on thick.

Reading this thread is like reading a forum of Qanon guys talk about politics. Everyone has an opinion with no idea about what's actually going on.

Burgo isn't perfect, but is an exceptionally good operator and any club would be lucky to have him. I work in this field. Many people I know work in and around him - and all the other clubs.

Strength and conditioning coaches // Sports science guys are a small cog in a big machine. You can be the best at your job and the team wins the wooden spoon, you could be the worst and win the flag. It's a skill based sport - this isn't rowing or tack and field.

For the record, Mladen had very very little to do with Port and was only here for 10 months.

Good for where we were coming from in 2012 where our processes and set up was atrocious, not so good for now. Melbourne and Crows both need(ed) someone like him to set the standard and move on. Melbourne were disgustingly unfit pre-Burgess. We got what we needed from him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Burgess doesn’t let the grass grow between his feet.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

8 gigs in 20 years. Job hopper.

It may seem like he's a job hooper, however his role over the last decade has mainly been to set up a good high performance program. Not run it.

This is why he attracts such a bonkers salary, he plans to make himself obsolete.

Remove this Banner Ad

Darren Burgess

Remove this Banner Ad

Back