Preview DaVe86 - Match Preview - 1st Prelim Collingwood vs. Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 25, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Gippy Power
DaVe

C'mon pal am headless for the preview? Need some rationale perspective on our chances

Really want to beat these buggers as am sick of losing to them / prelims......and whilst I think we are almost a year to early it's our time FFS.

For mine, if our pressure holds up we will win. Pretty sure they are v worried as they seem v keen on the sledge which is unlike them. I think they know our game plan holds up well so they need to mentally get to our kids / history. I can't think of a modern era team that's been to the big dance 4 times in a row and I think they know this is probably their last chance with the same group.....fate is against them and our blokes (part young kids in the side which there are many) need to believe they can do it.

Ps if u think we will lose don't post anything.

Re: DaVe...where's the Preview.....am headless!

I know, the biggest game of the year (so far) and Dave goes missing, pfft.

I've had to make do with reading very crappy half page previews from a number of different sites, that seem like they are written by either 3 year olds, or writers from the Caroline Wilson school of writing.

Cmon Dave, we need quality, or I may have to start my matchday discussion thread a few days early.

Yes, also looking forward to the preview. Im trying to hold my nerve but things a getting a little jangly...

To take Matty's point, seriously what is it about Caroline Wilson being held up as an iconic figure amongst serious AFL journalists...Hands up who really even reads her para's. I read the both papers and find i am drawn to particluar writers and or stories. For some reason i eyes never steer toward words under her name. Flanagan, Baum and Connolly yes...

DaVe.......Thursday.......c'mon man we are reading dribble out here

Ps Lads let's not have any talk of the Richmond cheer squad leader.....let her wallow in now 30 years of misery......that actually warms my heart to write that

Pps I think I have at least another player review in me.....I don't think this will be the last

Hey DaVe, not that i think this will happy but would they post it if you said Cats by 5 points?

hehe

Here is an excerpt from it - but be sure to click on the link and read the whole thing!!!

Collingwood vs Geelong

After a week off to re-energise, I return to preview the preliminary final match between Collingwood and Geelong.

After such an unpredictable home-and-away season, we are left with the same final four that we had last year. In particular, this is the third time in four years that Collingwood and Geelong will square off in the Grand Final qualifier.

I’ve thought long and hard about this game. Realistically, I was preparing this preview the minute Geelong lost to St. Kilda in the qualifying final. The more I think about it, the harder I find it to pick a winner. This is truly an even contest. I think it is going to be extremely close, hard fought and at times brutal.

I also sat down last Friday night to watch Geelong play Fremantle to see if I could learn anything new about the Cats. Unfortunately, the game was over very quickly, and it was hard to really analyse Geelong considering they were under very little pressure. As brilliant as they played, the match was no more than a warm up for this Friday night’s match.

Much will be made about the fact Collingwood has had a week off. There is a theory that sides tend to come out a little flat after a rest, and many fear a potential loss of momentum. I truly do not believe this will be a factor.

The reason I came to this conclusion is that over the last four years, Collingwood has continually returned from the split round full of energy. It was interesting to hear Harry O’Brien refuse to refer to the weekend off as a ‘rest’, instead preferring to call it ‘an extra week to prepare’. This is the message Mick Malthouse has been spruiking to his side over the past fortnight.

It has also been interesting to see Mark Thompson initiate mind games as early as last Friday night’s press conference. Thompson claimed Collingwood had a ‘hatred’ towards Geelong, and were also ‘jealous’ of their success. The truth is that I would be very concerned as a Collingwood supporter if my side was not jealous of such success. I definitely admire what Geelong has achieved and crave to see my team as dominant.

I could not be more excited about Friday night. Despite all the benefits of a week off, it has been agonising having to wait. So let’s get into the analysis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great preview Dave, and it's the first one that I have read all week that has put Reid on Mooney, despite the fact they played on each other in round 19, until Reid got injured.

I also agree with you on what type of game this will be, it will be tough, hard, and as you said at times even brutal.

We will see the great sides to our game, but I have no doubt we may some of the bad sides of our game too, especially if we start to get on top and Geelong become desperate.

The one thing I disagree on is the Wellingham/Ablett matchup, if Wellers plays, he may well got to Ablett, but I believe Sharrod can be as damaging as any other midfielder we have, so he must be given some "free reign" at times, and that's where the likes of Blair, Johnson and even Swan come in against Ablett.

It will be a battle to the death this one, I just hope whoever wins it doesn't come out too "banged up", as no matter who wins out of the Dogs/Saints, I want to see the winner of this game win the flag.

My tip, pies by 17.:thumbsu:

I agree with all your match-ups except id like to see Mccaffer go to Enright again, i watched the first half against Fremantle and his run and good kicking out of the back line was pivotal in Geelong getting off to a great start and finishing it off early.

Very impressive Dave - gave you a hit or two and posted it up on my FaceBook.

Fantastic writing - and the most on the money review I've seen all week.

your a star dave. i have butterflies in the gut just reading over this, i cant wait. this is the time to prove yourselves pies ;)

Hey DaVe epically awesome preview as usual :thumbsu:

I'm not too worried about Wojo. He's the sort of player that if our structures hold up that should be enough to stop him as he revels in space. The Freo game couldn't have suited him more. He could get away from us if our structures are loose but then i'd say if that happened it would be the least of our worries and we'd be screwed anyway.

The Corey vs Beams match up is an interesting one, a match up that has a ripple affect right over the ground, and I think a massive win for us. It isn't a slight on Corey who is obviously playing on one leg but I think it's a match up we could really exploit, as you mentioned Beams loves kicking goals against the handbaggers.

On Corey being forced into defense I think it's equally a massive win for our midfield as both teams depth in there is so good. Not having to worry about Corey is just another thing we have in our advantage which will be important with two teams that match up so closely. I think in a way it is the reason Geelong have been forced to play Ablett in there as they really need the extra quality.

But in saying that it makes Wellinghams inclusion into the team the more critical because I think if he doesn't play it mitigates the Corey advantage to a large degree.

BTW why did you have to pick us for the win? You know it's bad vibes to do that!! You're making me more nervous...

Freo may have played a similar forward zone to us against Geelong but the thing is we do it better thats why we finished 1st, so I am not worried about that. I think the major worry is if some of our younger players get stage fright if not we will beat em.

As usual, an excellent write up :)

I too am really looking forward to a Ball V Selwood matchup.

Good review Dave.

This is the most prescient line for me,

"In fact, they may be at their most dangerous if they start falling behind on the scoreboard as they will throw caution to the wind"

This is somewhat what happened in the qualifier when they got 30 points down there was no other course of action open to them but to attack and the Saints were then forced to simply defend.

Geelong are awesome when they simply "let go". To me, the secret of this game will be Collingwood's ability to force Geelong into their game. I am tipping the Pies because I don't think Geelong have the stamina to play 4 quarters of attacking footy and I think the Pies can force the Cats to play their game.

Watch out for that comeback though. Geelong always seem to find a gear at 20 - 30 points down. If you can weather that you should win it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back