David Koch - The Chairman of the Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Remember when we had AusGold as a sponsor then it turned out to a scam? Lmao.
This was just before Koch's time, but I can recall a sponsor (Myatm?) that had a female director named Fifi or Kiki (or something like that), who looked like she had lost her job as a Las Vegas showgirl in the 1970's and hadn't been employed since.

I believe they didn't pay us either!

AusGold was indeed shonky, but PAFC got every penny from them that was due. The Liberal Party forced the issue when a final tranche of $600k was overdue and the money was paid.
KT however ‘liked’ the Chinese woman in charge and was set to give her more time and more advertising real estate.
As China Adviser it was my task to tell KT to shut down the deal and get as far away from Sally as he could toot sweet.

Remember when we had AusGold as a sponsor then it turned out to a scam? Lmao.
Sally Zou came on board as part of our China venture sponsor and to help fund playing in China. She came on board in October 2016 after the first China game was scheduled. She was a schizo.

Luckily we didn't depend on her sponsorship to fund the footy department directly.

Edit thankfully as Lockhart Road posted he shut it down so it didn't get that far.

Financially the Club has never been in a stronger position than it is now.

Record levels of revenue, half a dozen million dollar PA sponsors, no debt with the AFL and very little debt on the books in general (will be cleared in the next 2 years). The footy department has all the necessary financial resources to compete with the top Clubs. Facility wise, they've just built their new high performance centre, have announced a redevelopment of the Bowls Club (in addition to other developments at Alberton), and their long term vision to build a retail/medical hub between Alberton Oval and Port road will make the Club recession proof.

Koch deserves criticism for his oversight of the footy department. But he has done a ton right when it comes to the off-field ventures.

Great post. You’ve answered my question nicely.

So after a decade, we are in a place where we should never return to the ‘tarps’ and Koch and team and others should get much of the credit.

So after a decade, we are in a place where we should never return to the ‘tarps’ and Koch and team and others should get much of the credit.

The problem is not where we are now, but where we could have been.

This regime has plateaued seven years ago. We are going through the motions.

This is correct. But at the same time, they deserve complete criticism for hitching their wagon to the Hinkley/CD ticket.

The problem is not where we are now, but where we could have been.

This regime has plateaued seven years ago. We are going through the motions.

I'd suggest Hinkley and CD plateaued - the off field ventures particularly the last few years have grown exponentially.

I also know that having Tredrea on the Board and the footy committee has created a new healthy dynamic where football decisions are being discussed rather than dictated.

It's why I'm optimistic if they can get the right people running the footy dept once Hinkley and CD go (most likely by the end of this year), they'll have as good a chance as any going forward.

This is correct. But at the same time, they deserve complete criticism for hitching their wagon to the Hinkley/CD ticket.

I'd suggest Hinkley and CD plateaued - the off field ventures particularly the last few years have grown exponentially.

I also know that having Tredrea on the Board and the footy committee has created a new healthy dynamic where football decisions are being discussed rather than dictated.

It's why I'm optimistic if they can get the right people running the footy dept once Hinkley and CD go (most likely by the end of this year), they'll have as good a chance as any going forward.

I can't look at football and think that we are great, but for that. We may be better, but I don't believe we are compartmentalized. There are serious issues lingering on.

In brief, numbers may look good, but they are built on the same BS we see in the football department. It's unsustainable.

I can't look at football and think that we are great, but for that. We may be better, but I don't believe we are compartmentalized. There are serious issues lingering on.

In brief, numbers may look good, but they are built on the same BS we see in the football department. It's unsustainable.

How have you concluded that the off field achievements/ventures of the Club are unsustainable?

Thanks for reminding of these distinctions. No question that for all the cringe moments the most substantive anger at Koch comes from his apparent protection of Ken beyond all reasonable tenure. If behind the scenes agreement can be had that Koch can paint himself publicly as the saviour of the footy department as he sacks Hinkley, while letting go going forward of the obsessive controls that allowed Hinkley et al to continue for far too long, that would be a very reasonable outcome. I can more than put up with Koch's ego and the odd cringeworthy moment if he keeps delivering off field wins and keeps his nose less into where it knows less.

I have absolutely no idea how he has hoodwinked the board into positioning himself as a can't do wrong expert on all things footy. It beggars belief.

I am comfortable however knowing that Tredrea is in the same room as CD and is asking the pertinent questions to hold him to account, and hopefully wake up some of the Board members.
From the outside it seems Davies is a very good communicator.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the outside it seems Davies is a very good communicator.

He's certainly got the gift of the gab. That being said, a lot of what he says is absolutely bullshit. Consistently tells anyone and everyone that "my program is elite."

Just astounds me that there are intelligent people on the Board who haven't been able to ask the question of "well if you're program is 'elite' as you say, Chris, why haven't we got the results to reflect your subjective opinion?"

He's certainly got the gift of the gab. That being said, a lot of what he says is absolutely bullshit. Consistently tells anyone and everyone that "my program is elite."

Just astounds me that there are intelligent people on the Board who haven't been able to ask the question of "well if you're program is 'elite' as you say, Chris, why haven't we got the results to reflect your subjective opinion?"

Because too many of them subscribe to the little battler club mentality and the myth of pre 2013 Port being a perennial cellar dweller rather than a traditionally strong club who spent a few years rebuilding.

I’m blown away that this is happening if you’re saying this is mainly CD. Whatever gift of the gab he has it says a lot about who’s surrounding him and how they got there.

I’m blown away that this is happening if you’re saying this is mainly CD. Whatever gift of the gab he has it says a lot about who’s surrounding him and how they got there.

I'd go as far to say CD is an even bigger problem at the Club than Ken.

How have you concluded that the off field achievements/ventures of the Club are unsustainable?

As TeeKray said: "Because too many of them subscribe to the little battler club mentality and the myth of pre 2013 Port being a perennial cellar dweller rather than a traditionally strong club..."

And I don't trust professional b*llsh*tters.

Because too many of them subscribe to the little battler club mentality and the myth of pre 2013 Port being a perennial cellar dweller rather than a traditionally strong club who spent a few years rebuilding.
They aren't Port or football people so they simply don't care is what it basically comes down to for a lot of our board. It's a checkbox, it's fun when we are up and about and results on field don't matter to them.

It's because the ex-morning TV show buffoon and his board of accountants and a disruptor have zero understanding of what a successful professional sporting organisation looks like. They "look at the data" but are incapable of drawing any relevant information from it. Davies is probably the one telling them what the data means. He can point to Hinkley as being the "most successful coach of the club's AFL era" as proof that his program is elite.

Financially the Club has never been in a stronger position than it is now.

Record levels of revenue, half a dozen million dollar PA sponsors, no debt with the AFL and very little debt on the books in general (will be cleared in the next 2 years). The footy department has all the necessary financial resources to compete with the top Clubs. Facility wise, they've just built their new high performance centre, have announced a redevelopment of the Bowls Club (in addition to other developments at Alberton), and their long term vision to build a retail/medical hub between Alberton Oval and Port road will make the Club recession proof.

Koch deserves criticism for his oversight of the footy department. But he has done a ton right when it comes to the off-field ventures.
Good call the big problem with Port is that people are in the wrong positions, doing the wrong jobs.
Koch is good with money
Hinkly is a good player manager
Their ego as such won't allow them to get out of the road and allow those with the talent to do their jobs.
Simply put their egos are destroying this club.

As TeeKray said: "Because too many of them subscribe to the little battler club mentality and the myth of pre 2013 Port being a perennial cellar dweller rather than a traditionally strong club..."

And I don't trust professional b*llsh*tters.

Big call to make such an opinion on the basis of a hunch with no actual objective data supporting this.

Plenty of data to suggest they have no idea about putting together a footy department, but off the field, all the evidence suggests they've got a long list of achievements that they deservedly should be credited for.

Big call to make such an opinion on the basis of a hunch with no actual objective data supporting this.

Plenty of data to suggest they have no idea about putting together a footy department, but off the field, all the evidence suggests they've got a long list of achievements that they deservedly should be credited for.

Chewey, the data is football and what is public knowledge about the club. Just connect the dots. We can always pinpoint good stuff about anyone, including Stalin. That's beyond the point.

Conmen are great sellers, but time goes against them. It's all smoke and mirrors. That's the AFL world.

I really want to be in the wrong here, but, unfortunately, I am afraid the cons outweight the pros in our case. One simply doesn't get "kochisized" without costs. The bill will come eventually.

Yeah, he's done a good job off field but he's lost all that goodwill and more by poking members directly in the eye as an unelected President and completely screwing up the footy department for the last 7-8 years. That along with no willingness to publicly commit to giving control back to the members it seeds discontent and doubt in the members/supporters. I'd also like it if he sold us more instead of under selling us, we are a massive club, in global sport terms, not just in Australia.

If there's a good working relationship brewing between him and Warren where he has someone with a clue reporting on the FD then maybe we've inadvertently hit on the best of both worlds moving forwards, I'm OK with that.

Remove this Banner Ad

David Koch - The Chairman of the Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Back