David Mundy

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok lets get this straight. I did not at any point say 100% that a Shepherd is not important. I said that a Shepherd isn't a big deal, IF the player who does not shepherd atleast gives the person the option of getting the disposal to them so that there is no turn over. Shepherds are falible, just like disposals can be. There are many a time where someone will give away a free kick for an illegal shepherd, or the plkayer they are shepherding will manage to get through them or around it, or perhaps the player with the ball will get caught from another opposition player.
Oh sorry not important/not a big deal..... mmmmm i see the difference....

lol :D ... and you think i have a low IQ

how did it go again?? Thats right:

oh boomtish

Why must you insist on quoting and bolding that, when you are missing the rest of a sentence which qualifies it? I don't understand why you would do such a thing. Are you looking for laughs? Do you want a fight? Its beyond belief.

PS: I might have slightly exaggerated it, I'll go with 97 ;)

Chick was almost stationary after the smother, so i'm not sure how he would have gotten a quick handball from Hunter, unless hunter was going to be handballing backwards.

He just as easily could've kept running, Hunter could've shepherded for him and he could've had a shot. Does he get tackled from behind? Does he kick the goal? We'll never know, all I'm saying is that he had more than one option available to him.

Some people in this thread are saying that to shepherd is the only option, which is just crap. If Mundy was in Hunter's position would you be bagging him for not setting a shepherd for Chick?

Why must you insist on quoting and bolding that, when you are missing the rest of a sentence which qualifies it? I don't understand why you would do such a thing. Are you looking for laughs? Do you want a fight? Its beyond belief.

PS: I might have slightly exaggerated it, I'll go with 97 ;)
It doesnt qualify it tho.

He just as easily could've kept running, Hunter could've shepherded for him and he could've had a shot. Does he get tackled from behind? Does he kick the goal? We'll never know, all I'm saying is that he had more than one option available to him.

Some people in this thread are saying that to shepherd is the only option, which is just crap. If Mundy was in Hunter's position would you be bagging him for not setting a shepherd for Chick?
I havent said its the only option. I gave a couple of examples when it is the only option. If you watch that bit of play again you will see there is only one option.

Hunter runs into an open goal. Could chick have done that.... NO!

Ok lets get this straight. I did not at any point say 100% that a Shepherd is not important. I said that a Shepherd isn't a big deal, IF the player who does not shepherd atleast gives the person the option of getting the disposal to them so that there is no turn over. Shepherds are falible, just like disposals can be. There are many a time where someone will give away a free kick for an illegal shepherd, or the plkayer they are shepherding will manage to get through them or around it, or perhaps the player with the ball will get caught from another opposition player.

Elaborate.

I bolded the first part of the sentence because that was the part which doesnt make sense. Not important and not a big deal means the same thing i reckon. You then say you qualified that sentence, well i dont think you did.

Your pretty much saying you dont want to shepherd because we will or may give away a free kick for an illegal shepherd, or they will get through them or around the shepherd or get caught by another opponent.

This doesnt qualify the sentence i bolded.

To me, they don't mean the same thing and I am the poster. I did qualify. I gave you an IF. The IF qualified it.

I did not say that. I said that if you don't provide a shepherd then you atleast have to provide an option, which is what I have been saying the entire length of time. I also added in reasons why shepherding isn't the be all and end all of a players responsibility.

Please, read with your eyes and not your brain.

I havent said its the only option. I gave a couple of examples when it is the only option. If you watch that bit of play again you will see there is only one option.

Hunter runs into an open goal. Could chick have done that.... NO!

There wasn't only one option, there was a million options in that situation. Chick could've turned around, done a little dance, dacked himself, then mooned the crowd. Would it of been the correct decision? No, but it was an option. Just like holding onto it, allowing Hunter to shephard for him, and having a shot himself were an option.

Just like Hunter had a bunch of options available to him. What if he'd attempted a shepherd, and taken himself out of the play? Then Chick would've had no choice but to attempt a goal himself.

Yes, at the end of the day a handball, and a shephard turned out to be the right decision but it certainly wasn't his only option.

Geez, I thought having Mundy for a buddy would be hard work. :eek:

I would have commented on this issue already, except for the fact that I haven't seen either of the practice matches so far (no Foxtel).

But let me say this: Mundy shouldn't be excused for having to the hard things in the team. It's not OK for him not to shephard. I'm sure Harvey will remind him of this where necessary, as he would any player.

Having said that, I think people tend to use Mundy as a scapegoat for the team's ills. He does tend to look a bit lax in terms of body language, and he'll probably never be a hard player. However, one has to weigh up the strengths and weaknesses of a particular player. Schammer is a hard nut, but has poor disposal. Mundy has excellent skills (usually - can't comment on the Adelaide game) but generally is poor in terms of one percenters etc.

I said this before - how many players do we have that can kick a goal on the run from outside 50? Headland is definitely one, but who else? Mundy has a thumping, accurate kick and could be damaging playing across a half forward flank. He's versatile. And he's young. :thumbsu:

Geez, I thought having Mundy for a buddy would be hard work. :eek:

I would have commented on this issue already, except for the fact that I haven't seen either of the practice matches so far (no Foxtel).

But let me say this: Mundy shouldn't be excused for having to the hard things in the team. It's not OK for him not to shephard. I'm sure Harvey will remind him of this where necessary, as he would any player.

Having said that, I think people tend to use Mundy as a scapegoat for the team's ills. He does tend to look a bit lax in terms of body language, and he'll probably never be a hard player. However, one has to weigh up the strengths and weaknesses of a particular player. Schammer is a hard nut, but has poor disposal. Mundy has excellent skills (usually - can't comment on the Adelaide game) but generally is poor in terms of one percenters etc.

I said this before - how many players do we have that can kick a goal on the run from outside 50? Headland is definitely one, but who else? Mundy has a thumping, accurate kick and could be damaging playing across a half forward flank. He's versatile. And he's young. :thumbsu:

Pav,Tazz,Black,Grover,Murphy,Campbell,MiJohnson,McParlin and I don't think he is versatile but your right when you say he looks lax and has great skills on both feet but has avoided on lots of occasions but under Harvey has looked to have improved perhaps it was just a bad day and old habit came out..

that is amusing.

There are always different options to take and to provide as a player, where it becomes a problem is if we are always or most often taking the wrong option. And any freo supporter knows that when we start getting beat like last night, we seem to have a whole heap of people wanting cheap possies and easy recieves. It just so happens that mundy is now one of the main subjects.

Again as said on another thread I will be interested in harvs reaction to all this. I am hoping, wishing and praying he does something, but also that the group does something as otherwise the year will be a bit similar to others when the pressure is on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Regardless of Mundy's 1%ers, he hasn't seen much improvement in 2 seasons now, if anything he has gone back a little. We should be getting improvement, because his current level is barely satisfactory. Look at Hayden in comparison, his game is already at a level where it barely needs to improve but he still is. Mundy is a C/B- type player who has shown something at some periods (like Schammer) but who has mostly floated by since. Both of these players are moving into the age bracket where they will play their best games.... yet where is the improvement? I'm not happy with either of them atm.

To me, they don't mean the same thing and I am the poster. I did qualify. I gave you an IF. The IF qualified it.

I did not say that. I said that if you don't provide a shepherd then you atleast have to provide an option, which is what I have been saying the entire length of time. I also added in reasons why shepherding isn't the be all and end all of a players responsibility.

Well seeing as your the poster ill just ill just lower my IQ down to your level so they mean different things.

So the word "IF" qualifies it. Ok ill remember that for my next statement ;)

The bolded part - I dont disagree with
There wasn't only one option, there was a million options in that situation. Chick could've turned around, done a little dance, dacked himself, then mooned the crowd. Would it of been the correct decision? No, but it was an option. Just like holding onto it, allowing Hunter to shephard for him, and having a shot himself were an option.

Just like Hunter had a bunch of options available to him. What if he'd attempted a shepherd, and taken himself out of the play? Then Chick would've had no choice but to attempt a goal himself.

Yes, at the end of the day a handball, and a shephard turned out to be the right decision but it certainly wasn't his only option.
This is starting to get painful......................................... You CANNOT tell me Hunter could have put the shepherd on instead of chick, watch the play again. Yes chick could have done his dance or whatever else but there was only 1 correct option which was the handball to hunter then chick put the shepherd in.

It's getting ridiculous trying to point out the importance of a shepherd on here. All that is required is for a team mate to step in the line of the opposition player.

This is starting to get painful......................................... You CANNOT tell me Hunter could have put the shepherd on instead of chick, watch the play again. Yes chick could have done his dance or whatever else but there was only 1 correct option which was the handball to hunter then chick put the shepherd in.

It's getting ridiculous trying to point out the importance of a shepherd on here. All that is required is for a team mate to step in the line of the opposition player.

I'm not disputing the importance of a shepherd. I'm simply pointing out it's not the only option, and not always appropriate.

If Mundy was in Hunters position does he get bagged for not shepherding?

I'm not disputing the importance of a shepherd. I'm simply pointing out it's not the only option, and not always appropriate.

If Mundy was in Hunters position does he get bagged for not shepherding?
The importance of a shepherd is how this all started with bradesmaen. Might not be the only but it is important and the hunter/chick play was an example i used to make my point. The shepherd (whether there were other options or not is irrelevant) won the eagles a grand final.

So the word "IF" qualifies it. Ok ill remember that for my next statement ;)

Quiet you ;)

I think this criticism on Mundy is very very harsh. Two games into preseason and he;s already emerged as the number on scapegoat. Talented player, always in the best 22. He has shown improvement to whoever said he hasn't. Three years ago he wasn't kicking the goals and was focusing on handballing too much. Now he is kicking more.

Oh and to GJ: If you are referring to yesterday as Mundy waiting for a cheap handball, you would be incorrect. Read what Mark Harvey had to say. The team was over hanballing, so this is not Mundy's fault if he gets a handball from someone who is too afraid to kick cause they might turn it over.

The importance of a shepherd is how this all started with bradesmaen. Might not be the only but it is important and the hunter/chick play was an example i used to make my point. The shepherd (whether there were other options or not is irrelevant) won the eagles a grand final.

Just like Hunter not shepherding won them a grand final...

This thread is a hoot. :p

How anyone could think that standing off the play hoping that your team mate will keep his arms free in a tackle and be able to feed out a handball is doing the team thing is beyond me. Lets hope Mundy wasn't standing there waiting for a handball when Hasleby was tackled last week.

Yea your right but a shepherd was still placed which is my point... that is important...

Which i have always agreed with. I have only disagreed with certain posters who said shepherding was the only option, and should always be done. Which quite simply is not true.

How many times is Mundy going to get away with dogging challenges?

Every third or fourth game he is guilty of cowardice on the field, yet some how he survives.

He is without doubt a skilled player, but his auskick approach to physical pressure is symptomatic of his selfish attitude to the game.

He does not shepherd because he would rather float around on the fringe waiting for a cheap handball. Thats what it comes down to.

FFC needs to start winning big games. The problem is that when the going gets tough, Mundy goes missing. Mundy is not the kind of guy you would want with you in the trenches.

Send him back to the WAFL, see if he can overcome his cowardice.

gentlemanjeff , post your name and address & phone no and face him and call him a coward .theirs only one coward attached to ffc and its not mundy .call him to his face and see if you can overcome your cowardice.

I think it's fair to say Chicky's decision to lay the shepherd was the correct one. It's one of the greatest single passages of play in West Coast's history.

I think the point that seems to be being missed here is that regardless of whether you prefer to shepherd or receive a handball, it's important your teammate knows which one you are going to do. Perhaps Mundy isn't much of a talker on the field. I think he's a pretty good player though and was surprised to see so much animosity toward him. I'll be keeping a closer eye on his 1%ers from now on though.

Remove this Banner Ad

David Mundy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back