David Warner

Remove this Banner Ad

So,we replace him with our injury prone opener who recent 2011 Test Record reads like this?

0, 88, 4, 3, 21 ,8, 36, 0 ,22 , 38, 45
:confused:

Where did I suggest that? Where did I even suggest we drop him?

So,we replace him with our injury prone opener who recent 2011 Test Record reads like this?

0, 88, 4, 3, 21 ,8, 36, 0 ,22 , 38, 45
Of course you do when he has figures of

1/49, 3/11, 2/19, 0/17, 1/43, 1/54, 5/17, 0/44, 1/13 in 2011.

I like Dave Warner - when he's on he's exciting to watch and if he can improve his consistency he has the potential to become a very good player.

It's when the likes of Slater start claiming Davey Warner is changing the face of the game and upholding him as a superstar based on what he might do moreso than what he has done that shits most people.

We shouldn't hate Warner though for the actions of the commentators as he actually comes across as quite humble about it all and doesn't appear to be pumping himself up at all.

I like Dave Warner - when he's on he's exciting to watch and if he can improve his consistency he has the potential to become a very good player.

It's when the likes of Slater start claiming Davey Warner is changing the face of the game and upholding him as a superstar based on what he might do moreso than what he has done that shits most people.

We shouldn't hate Warner though for the actions of the commentators as he actually comes across as quite humble about it all and doesn't appear to be pumping himself up at all.

Yeah I guess he does sound humble? I'm not entirely sure what he's saying though..

"yeahijusttryandgooutandsticktomyplansandthenitcomesoffsometimesitdoesntbutyouknowimprettyhappywiththewayiplayedmyinningsummcheersslats"

Love 'im though :heart:

Warner is a talent, that is indisputable. THe hype from CH 9 in particular is nauseating, and I sweat Slater spends more time fantasising about him than he does Gilly's mrs.

Also, the "revolutionary" switch hit, that KP was doing years ago, and Andy Flower was doing (as a genuine reverse sweep) ten years or more ago, taking Shane Warne for 6. Its nothing new!

I think it's something to do with a change in the commentary culture or strategy of 9 tbh.

There has been a noticeable change of emphasis in the last year or so to really overhyping some of the Australian players.

Warner is the most obvious example lately, but there have been plenty of other players whose tyres they have pumped up unnecessarily.

The collective lovefest for Pattinson and Siddle has been absolutely ridiculous, cringeworthy and out of proportion this season too. Tubby Taylor's eulogising of Siddle is not as bad as Slater and Nicholas' mancrushes on Warner, but it's not all that far behind.

Warner is a good player, but the wankfest (particularly from Slater) is becoming very tiresome.

Did anyone notice Slats interviewing Kohli between innings and when mentioning how well the Indians fielded with 4 run outs he couldn't help but throw in just how huge it was that they got Warner cheaply? Cringeworthy stuff, credit to Kohli for ignoring that idiotic part of the question.

The collective lovefest for Pattinson and Siddle has been absolutely ridiculous, cringeworthy and out of proportion this season too. Tubby Taylor's eulogising of Siddle is not as bad as Slater and Nicholas' mancrushes on Warner, but it's not all that far behind.

To be fair, Pattinson's been brilliant in the matches he's played. The Siddle love is a bit over the top though, but I guess being the work horse of the attack earns him some extra respect. The most bizarre thing I heard all summer though was when Tony Greig said Hilfenhaus was his favourite bat in the Australian side because he goes the tonk. :confused:

To be fair, Pattinson's been brilliant in the matches he's played. The Siddle love is a bit over the top though

Oh, don't get me wrong. I wasn't suggesting Pattinson hadn't done very well.

It's more that you could have been forgiven for thinking he had been taking 10 wickets in every innings of both series the way Ch 9 have been carrying on about him.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I wasn't suggesting Pattinson hadn't done very well.

It's more that you could have been forgiven for thinking he had been taking 10 wickets in every innings of both series the way Ch 9 have been carrying on about him.

I guess it's just because he's young and inexperienced, no one expected it, the same thing happened when Brett Lee started out.

FFS don't let langer near him.

Maybe have border have a chat to him about batting in the trenches, he does make stupid decisions, but the talent is there, more so than hughes.

I think it's something to do with a change in the commentary culture or strategy of 9 tbh.

There has been a noticeable change of emphasis in the last year or so to really overhyping some of the Australian players.

Warner is the most obvious example lately, but there have been plenty of other players whose tyres they have pumped up unnecessarily.

They are extremly childish and without any ability to be funny either, but the wankfest has been going on a lot longer than just the past year. They were brought to heel a bit - what choice did they have - when the Ashes were on, but the year previously the trash level was as high as ever in terms of hyping Aussie players.

The mute button is the only recourse.I always hope that the streams I pick up have alternative commentary.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it really that hard to just separate the fanaticism of Slater and co. in forming your own opinions on Warner?

He's a massive talent, irrespective of how much hype he receives. The TV does come with a mute button.

Steve Smith was the other big one a few summers ago. He played in one of those "All Star T20" matches, hadn't played for Australia yet, and Michael Slater absolutely creamed his pants every time the ball went near Smith. Apparently Smith was Doug Walters and Shane Warne rolled into one, only 100 times better.

"PFFFFWOOOOAHHHH Steve Smith bowls a regulation leg break....that's why he's touted as a future star of Australian cricket!!!!!"

can we rename this "slater is a knob thread"?

warner is a gun, yes in the age of facebook, twitter etc the media feels the need to blow a story up bigger than anyone else. warner will be the face of kfc and other CA sponsors soon.

if warner was to become shit at t20 i wouldnt mind so long as he starts to really dominate tests.

I nearly spewed when that "you've been warnered" promo was shown the other night. Also couldn't believe when Slater said something like "Warner has changed the face of the game".

Mate talk to anyone from NSW and Warner is a better player than Bradman.

Even Steve Waugh was over-hyping him in the Herald Sun today.

Steve Waugh was quoted as saying that he told his son Austin that he had to bat left handed from now on to emulate Warner.

Seriously Usman Khawaja is as big a talent. Without any of the over the top hype.

As for Slater......

He is being groomed as the ch9 idiot once Tony Greig goes.

You need some one to be an ignorant fool so the others look good.

Usman and o'keefe are geniune talents and they don't get the hype.

Warner is spectacular and sells well, that is the difference i think.

you won't sell tickets on usman and o'keefe.

Its like the mcgrath/warne argument, most people won't pay to watch McGrath take 5/80, but they'll pay to watch warne take 4 for 100.

No criticism of McGrath, an all time great, but Warne brought with him drama, showmanship, theatre etc on and off the field.

Ask 100 random people and 80 of them wouldn't recognise the difference between McGrath and Bruce reid IMO.

For the brits it would be the same, freddie flintoff stands out as the showman, the media darling, the star, would be surprised if they would recognise any other bowler from the 2005 ashes series.

Mate talk to anyone from NSW and Warner is a better player than Bradman.
Now you are over hyping things.

Even Steve Waugh was over-hyping him in the Herald Sun today.

Steve Waugh was quoted as saying that he told his son Austin that he had to bat left handed from now on to emulate Warner.

That is Steve Waughs opinion is he not allowed to have that??

Talking about Ignorant fools I think I've found one.. :p

Ch9 and ABC have to take some blame for employing these people.

If I was commentating, I'd be biased towards the vics, Hayden was always a big wrap for heals, Lawry is famous for his love for Victoria although far more gentlemanly than some of the new spuds.

Berry and Deano when they get air time are generally pro victoria, and D.Hussey is pro victoria despite being a sandgroper.

It becomes a bit too obvious in the media with O'keefe, lawson, Slater getting a lot of air time. Tubs is a bit better than the others, but he's an ordinary commentator at best.

It was interesting listening to O'keefe come around to the Pro Wade camp, but while he is funny, he's not a deep thinker, and has a tendency to speak a lot of rubbish.

Lawson is vicious sometimes which I think is inappropriate for Aunty. Slats? anyone actually rate his opinion? he still thinks he took that two bounce catch.

Remove this Banner Ad

David Warner

Remove this Banner Ad

Back