Draft Expert Davo-27's 2024 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Will Hayes and Max Rohr catching the eye for WA so far, Gerryn looking sharp, good to see Benny Barrett get a game for SA to see what he can do, WA seem switched on, SA still asleep...
Agree Max Rohr movement he looked dangerous the whole game so impressive
Urqhart inside was very good, WA to good on the outside

I think with the uncertainty around Mackenzie and Ward. Plus talls at either end, other areas need to be fixed first

Small forwards can impact year 1 whereas mids and KPP take far longer
There is no uncertainty around Mackenzie.

Reckon Hawks will take Kako, first round. Sam would absolutely love him.
Well that's interesting, you reckon you guys will do that after getting the wiz, I'll be gobsmacked if you pick Isaak . At the moment you have pick 7, you think Isaak is going to go pick 7? I would think either Jonty Faull, Jobe Shanahan or Jack Whitlock would be in the plans of the Hawthorn recruiting department even with getting young Jasper Scaife in, providing guys like Draper or Smith don't fall down the pecking order of course.

Davo-27 your boy play midfield today? (Ie Travaglia) you rated him before others did, so hes your boy

Might be top 10 now
I don't know what this is?, Travaglia is terrible and should be taken in the rookie draft like Ginnivan was, I know nothing John Snow...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think with the uncertainty around Mackenzie and Ward. Plus talls at either end, other areas need to be fixed first

Small forwards can impact year 1 whereas mids and KPP take far longer
There are no uncertainty arguments about MacKenzie, even Ward who is working on development things in the 2s, whilst still dominating games at that level. He will be playing 1s very soon. The draft would come down to best available talent or looking at defensive key position stocks with some uncertainty around the ceilings of some of the players on the list (Phillips, Blanck, Frost (old).

There are no uncertainty arguments about MacKenzie, even Ward who is working on development things in the 2s, whilst still dominating games at that level. He will be playing 1s very soon. The draft would come down to best available talent or looking at defensive key position stocks with some uncertainty around the ceilings of some of the players on the list (Phillips, Blanck, Frost (old).
I just expected a smidge more from both at this current time, but maybe also an indication of the times where list and development is far superior now, so gives less opportunity in the first 2-3 years compared to 5-8 years ago

Plus the

Worpel
Nash
Newcombe
Mackenzie
J.Ward

Group isnt overly deep and/or ceiling isnt that high

Excluding Will Day of course but that 2-6 best midfielders on the list group

They havnt given up a heap of capital for this group, so its fair there ceiling isnt great, but thats why they need to invest in this area

I just expected a smidge more from both at this current time, but maybe also an indication of the times where list and development is far superior now, so gives less opportunity in the first 2-3 years compared to 5-8 years ago

Plus the

Worpel
Nash
Newcombe
Mackenzie
J.Ward

They havnt given up a heap of capital for this group, so its fair there ceiling isnt great, but thats why they need to invest in this area
Mackenzie has been very damaging across half forward, the wing and stints in the middle. Ward was doing well on a wing and is now dropped down to start specific development on certain areas whilst also dominating at 2s level.

Newcombe has made an AA squad before and isn’t at his ceiling, he is a very good player and obviously Day is a star.

I rate Ward highly, and MacKenzie too who has shown some high potential.

Worpel has probably hit his peak but his peak has been good, Nash is an interesting one but for me those are your role player types.

Henry Hustwaite is another not mentioned who is talented, Maginness also.

So I do disagree but, personally it’s best available, I don’t see glaring needs with how the season has progressed. Key position stocks are much different 12 months on.

Mackenzie has been very damaging across half forward, the wing and stints in the middle. Ward was doing well on a wing and is now dropped down to start specific development on certain areas whilst also dominating at 2s level.

Newcombe has made an AA squad before and isn’t at his ceiling, he is a very good player and obviously Day is a star.

I rate Ward highly, and MacKenzie too who has shown some high potential.

Worpel has probably hit his peak but his peak has been good, Nash is an interesting one but for me those are your role player types.

Henry Hustwaite is another not mentioned who is talented, Maginness also.

So I do disagree but, personally it’s best available, I don’t see glaring needs with how the season has progressed. Key position stocks are much different 12 months on.
Yeh just wont be a small forward unless theyre ridiculously ahead of the next best mid and tall, which is highly unlikely

I actually completely forgot about Hustwaite and Connor Macdonald is the one that we both forgot who i love

Theres probably a very good chance its a tall with that being lacklustre

And too many get caught up in 'best available' vs 'need' its always a combination of both with the weighting changing

Yeh just wont be a small forward unless theyre ridiculously ahead of the next best mid and tall, which is highly unlikely

I actually completely forgot about Hustwaite and Connor Macdonald is the one that we both forgot who i love

Theres probably a very good chance its a tall with that being lacklustre

And too many get caught up in 'best available' vs 'need' its always a combination of both with the weighting changing
Yeah I presume so but the case is also if they’re good enough with Breust, Gunston and Wingard on their last legs, a small forward or medium forward could be chosen.

MacDonald plays more forward and hasn’t had the exposure in the middle but will likely play there in the future.

Key position stocks aren’t really lacklustre anymore.
KPF - Lewis, Dear, Scaife, Ramsden (Gunston experience) (Chol a mix at 27)
RUC - Meek, Reeves, Tucker
KPD - Blanck, McCabe, DGB, Weddle, Phillips, Scrimshaw (Frost experience)

I would presume if a key position player is seen to be good enough they would be picked but it comes under best available.

Yeah I presume so but the case is also if they’re good enough with Breust, Gunston and Wingard on their last legs, a small forward or medium forward could be chosen.

MacDonald plays more forward and hasn’t had the exposure in the middle but will likely play there in the future.

Key position stocks aren’t really lacklustre anymore.
KPF - Lewis, Dear, Scaife, Ramsden (Gunston experience) (Chol a mix at 27)
RUC - Meek, Reeves, Tucker
KPD - Blanck, McCabe, DGB, Weddle, Phillips, Scrimshaw (Frost experience)

I would presume if a key position player is seen to be good enough they would be picked but it comes under best available.
Never said stocks are lacklustre

Just known commodities are

Outside Lewis nothing is certain atm. Weddle can play elsewhere if needed so he wouldnt stop you picking one and is probably better as a 3rd tall who can rebound/intercept more

Never said stocks are lacklustre

Just known commodities are

Outside Lewis nothing is certain atm. Weddle can play elsewhere if needed so he wouldnt stop you picking one and is probably better as a 3rd tall who can rebound/intercept more
I would agree but AFL teams don’t just look at form, it’s important to identify talent.

Plus the

Worpel
Nash
Newcombe
Mackenzie
J.Ward

Newcombe has an incredibly high ceiling. I ask respectfully... have you watched him that closely over the past 2 and a half seasons? I felt he had stagnated a little this year, but then have also noticed during our winning run that our midfielders are spreading the load and no one is really accumulating high numbers.
He's humming along really strongly, as is the team.

As for Mackenzie, well I'm not too surprised that those outside of Hawthorn haven't noticed what we (the supporters) have in regards to his development.
His class is on show every week. Low possession numbers at the moment, but a player who only needs 13 to have the same impact as others with 20+.

In two years time I'm confident his comparison will be start to take the shape of his coach, or Zach Merrett. Classy, smooth moving midfielder who doesn't waste a disposal. Maybe not the same numbers comparitively from an accumulation perspective, but the talent is clearly there.

Newcombe has an incredibly high ceiling. I ask respectfully... have you watched him that closely over the past 2 and a half seasons? I felt he had stagnated a little this year, but then have also noticed during our winning run that our midfielders are spreading the load and no one is really accumulating high numbers.
He's humming along really strongly, as is the team.

As for Mackenzie, well I'm not too surprised that those outside of Hawthorn haven't noticed what we (the supporters) have in regards to his development.
His class is on show every week. Low possession numbers at the moment, but a player who only needs 13 to have the same impact as others with 20+.

In two years time I'm confident his comparison will be start to take the shape of his coach, or Zach Merrett. Classy, smooth moving midfielder who doesn't waste a disposal. Maybe not the same numbers comparitively from an accumulation perspective, but the talent is clearly there.
Yeah Newcombe is the one not highly rated or given enough air time, he was a little last year by David King, at times by the stats guys with his tackle breaking being top 5 all time (since recorded). Ontop of his AA squad inclusion. He’s someone who is every bit a superstar calibre type, inside, outside, it’s just about production and consistency rather than talent.

Has stagnated a little but has been getting back into it recently, his game on the weekend would have him votes with 26 and a goal, extremely damaging. (11 score involvements).

And yeah think anyone who watches Hawthorn closely will realise how special Mackenzie is, smooth moving and damaging, hybrid mid and is kicking goals.

Ward wasn’t mentioned by you but is dominating VFL footy whilst working on a specific development piece but I have been huge on his talent and ceiling for a while, he has it.

I think MacKenzies next steps are continuing to iron out strengths but working physically with his body shape, endurance base and accumulation from that.

Yeah Newcombe is the one not highly rated or given enough air time, he was a little last year by David King, at times by the stats guys with his tackle breaking being top 5 all time (since recorded). Ontop of his AA squad inclusion. He’s someone who is every bit a superstar calibre type, inside, outside, it’s just about production and consistency rather than talent.

Has stagnated a little but has been getting back into it recently, his game on the weekend would have him votes with 26 and a goal, extremely damaging. (11 score involvements).

And yeah think anyone who watches Hawthorn closely will realise how special Mackenzie is, smooth moving and damaging, hybrid mid and is kicking goals.

Ward wasn’t mentioned by you but is dominating VFL footy whilst working on a specific development piece but I have been huge on his talent and ceiling for a while, he has it.

I think MacKenzies next steps are continuing to iron out strengths but working physically with his body shape, endurance base and accumulation from that.

I love Wardy. I wish we'd persisted with him in the side.

Personally feel it's only a matter of time until he wins his spot back.

I love Wardy. I wish we'd persisted with him in the side.

Personally feel it's only a matter of time until he wins his spot back.
He definitely will, and hopefully comes around finals time and we make it. He’s just too good not to make it. His only weak points are the ones he’s working on currently and he could easily just play a role and be a handy player on the wing at afl level. The club are grooming him to be one of the main three men in the middle with Newcombe and Day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back