Davy Jones' Locker Room

Remove this Banner Ad

A quick search online.
Credit to whoever created this image.

View attachment 2064740

This would be an amazing trio of guernseys.

I suspect the silver/grey and black bars wouis look better in real life too.

If we got to wear the real deal in showdowns and Anzac Day, I’d sign off on this combination in a heartbeat.

Looks strong, colours work, and would stand the test of time.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This would be an amazing trio of guernseys.

I suspect the silver/grey and black bars wouis look better in real life too.

If we got to wear the real deal in showdowns and Anzac Day, I’d sign off on this combination in a heartbeat.

Looks strong, colours work, and would stand the test of time.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Even the teal bars would stand the test of times.

I’m not anti-teal at all.

A quick search online.
Credit to whoever created this image.

View attachment 2064740

I really cringe when I see the bastardisation of the black & white PB guernsey. It always looks like what it is, a compromise to appease those pricks at Collingwood. There is only one PB guernsey and we should keep it as it is and wear it when we can. As they say in the Coldstream Guards, nulli secundus.

Too many Port supporters cave in to Collingwood and want second best. If we cannot have the original then start afresh as we have done and build a tradition from that fresh start. It is pity that we were not wearing the current BinB design in 2004 as a Premiership would have been a good start.

In the meantime keep fighting for our right to wear the original PB guernsey.

Last edited:
Actually that might be Bobby Enright next to Hannan, Neville Phillips would have been taller than Hannan.

Zane Separovich came down as star centre half forward in Broken Hill but never really settled at Port. He rucked for a little bit as he had a great leap.
Ian Verrier is top right alongside Randall Gerlach.

Edit
I'm late to the party you've already got him

We've done this before ... 1954, NoddyHolder raptalia come and help out.

Some of the off-field staff, don't know

Sorrell, Natt, Marrett, Milde, Gerlach, Verrier
?, Greg Phillips, Separovich, Evans, Kozlowski, Granger, Ashley McKay (runner)
Fraggers, Hynes, Giles, James, Bleythn, BRUCE LIGHT, Kym Kretschmer, Porps
Bucky, ?, Neville Phillips, Hannan, Jack, Eckermann, Kinnear, ?, Belton
Big Bob, Len Warren, Brian Fairclough, God, Woite, ? Whatman, ?
Leon Milde retired in 1976, and that is John Spry alongside Paul Marrett, the bloke that grabbed Studley Cornes by the throat :cool: just after the half time siren in the 1977 gf and held him off the ground until he turned blue.

Last edited:
I think we replace all teal with silver and make Teal the extra colour that doesn't get used use. Then Reverse the colours on the PB.

So the backing colour is Silver and use black Bars.

Someone chuck that up please, I'm lazy and have not even checked if it looks good.
1722466926148.png

We've done this before ... 1954, NoddyHolder raptalia come and help out.

Some of the off-field staff, don't know

Sorrell, Natt, Marrett, Milde, Gerlach, Verrier
?, Greg Phillips, Separovich, Evans, Kozlowski, Granger, Ashley McKay (runner)
Fraggers, Hynes, Giles, James, Bleythn, BRUCE LIGHT, Kym Kretschmer, Porps
Bucky, ?, Neville Phillips, Hannan, Jack, Eckermann, Kinnear, ?, Belton
Big Bob, Len Warren, Brian Fairclough, God, Woite, ? Whatman, ?
Well spotted for getting Kym Kretschmer and Tony Hannan but I reckon the bloke next to Sandy Virgo is Ian Jackman, and the player in between Evans and Granger is Kym Curtis.
Jackman would have only been about 5' 8'' in the old money, Phillips was much taller than that and from memory he went home during the season and isn't in the pic, and neither is Darrell Cahill.

Last edited:
Leon Milde retired in 1976, and that is John Spry alongside Paul Marrett, the bloke that grabbed Studley Cornes by the throat :cool: just after the half time siren in the 1977 gf and held him off the ground until he turned blue.

Missed that one, yes that is Big Jack Spry. He lives up in Broome or Derby now.

Well spotted for getting Kym Kretschmer and Tony Hannan but I reckon the bloke next to Sandy Virgo is Ian Jackman, and the player in between Evans and Granger is Kym Curtis.
Jackman would have only been about 5' 8'' in the old money, Phillips was much taller than that and from memory he went home during the season and isn't in the pic, and neither is Darrell Cahill.

Yes Ian Jackman, he caught me out before on this photo.

I'm sticking with the player between Evans and Granger being Kozlowski. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How the **** did Collingwood survive in the days of B&W TV when every campaigner was ripping them off?
I've asked Collingwood supporters of my vintage how did they know which team was which when watching Collingwood v North Melbourne pre-colour TV. Apparently it was only that the home team wore black shorts and the away team wore white shorts that saved them. :rolleyes:

Yes Ian Jackman, he caught me out before on this photo.

I'm sticking with the player between Evans and Granger being Kozlowski. ;)
It definitely could be Joe Kozlowski, who looked a million bucks with his regular big bags of goals at full forward in the magoos but struggled to do much at all when he was selected for the senior team.

Darrell Cahill had a thing about having his photo taken with the team. He relented a couple of times, but many times you will see him as an inset or an absent in the team photo. Despite playing 23 games in the League side in 1978 he was famously left off the team photo altogether, he didn't rate a mention even as absent. DC just had a thing about having his photo taken.

Nice work.:thumbsu:

Did we have an Olympian as our fitness guy for a while in the 70s? Maybe Kerry O'Brien who I think opened some fitness centres?

Kerry O'Brien held a world record at one stage, I think it was for the 3,000m steeplechase. He had a state of the art fitness centre out on Payneham Rd somewhere. I always thought it strange that a dyed in the wool Port boy would open a business in the heart of Norwood territory. Then again the Club President at the time John Swain had a restaurant on Glen Osmond Road so O'Brien was not unique in that regard.

I have an idea that Kerry O'Brien defected to the Crows early in their AFL life but I could be wrong on that score.

Kerry O'Brien held a world record at one stage, I think it was for the 3,000m steeplechase. He had a state of the art fitness centre out on Payneham Rd somewhere. I always thought it strange that a dyed in the wool Port boy would open a business in the heart of Norwood territory. Then again the Club President at the time John Swain had a restaurant on Glen Osmond Road so O'Brien was not unique in that regard.

I have an idea that Kerry O'Brien defected to the Crows early in their AFL life but I could be wrong on that score.
What a very, very good footballer D. Cahill was and, as you pointed out, so modest, despite his undoubted talent. One of the toughest rovers of his generation, in a golden era for SA football.

His first quarter, Grand Final goal from the pocket, in that cyclonic wind, against Sth Adelaide, is one my most vivid football memories. I knew then, we were never going to lose that year's premiership.

On Pixel 8a using BigFooty.com mobile app

What a very, very good footballer D. Cahill was and, as you pointed out, so modest, despite his undoubted talent. One of the toughest rovers of his generation, in a golden era for SA football.

His first quarter, Grand Final goal from the pocket, in that cyclonic wind, against Sth Adelaide, is one my most vivid football memories. I knew then, we were never going to lose that year's premiership.

On Pixel 8a using BigFooty.com mobile app

As the second rover to Brian Cunningham DC was perfect but I thought the best year I saw from him was the year Jack used him off the half back flank. An under rated player for sure, DC was a tough nut as he once played several games with a cracked rib. A pretty good golfer too, he worked as a greenkeeper at Grange for several years. DC probably could have been a Pro Golfer had footy not got in the way.

Some interesting insights into Darrell's golfing prowess in the Wiki link below...

Remove this Banner Ad

Davy Jones' Locker Room

Remove this Banner Ad

Back