Day After Day After New Year Test: Australia v India @ Sydney (Tue-Sat)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering past records and team strengths i guess it's fair to say the mcg test was a must win for us if we wanted to actually win the series.

This test certainly seems like india's must win, even a draw at the scg would feel like a loss to india.

Yep. Actually there's a common misconception that India has always been suited to the scg conditions (ie conducive to spin). Yes they've made some monster scores there and their batsmen have flourished, but India haven't actually won there in a long time. They've won recently in Perth and Adelaide, but drew at Sydney in 1992 and 2004, and lost 2000 and 2008.

2004 in particular they monstered us there, we only took 9 wickets as they declared twice on 700+ and 190 odd. But it was still a draw. This time around however their bowling attack looks really good and capable of consistently taking 20 wickets, a missing ingredient in their previous tours. So if the batsmen fire (which we all know they're capable of) then they could hit back hard here

The SCG, the true home ground of Australian sport

100 test matches for Australia at the SCG
That is a just stupid. MCG first ever Test Match and also MCG 100 test which was Boxing Day 2006. Keep plugging away. Sydney will always be in Melbournes shadow when it comes to sport.

who doesn't like a bit of fishing? :thumbsu:

You and XFactor are as bad as each other :p

In a totally unrelated matter, I find it ridiculous that Steve Smith isn't in at number 6 shoring up our middle order. He and Phil Hughes are easily the best batsmen in Australia.

In a totally unrelated matter, I find it ridiculous that Steve Smith isn't in at number 6 shoring up our middle order. He and Phil Hughes are easily the best batsmen in Australia.

They both have very good batting techniques. They look like two solid players who have been dumped for no good reason.

They both have very good batting techniques. They look like two solid players who have been dumped for no good reason.

It's because they're not from Tasmania. We all know that you get your baggy green when you get your tasmanian cap. Only reason Watson is going to be rushed back from injury.

I do believe that India's batsmen will put on a better display. India generally perform better after the first Test, so I hope that Australia can maintain the rage, so to speak.

I would like us to win this, because for me it would represent some kind of closure from those events of January 2008 (which are still so clear to me).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should be a really interesting first day's play :)

How's the wicket looking? Bit of grass might mean its a toss worth losing, although batting fourth on the SCG is never trivial, especially against India.

Sachin Tendulkar has the highest average of all Test cricketers at the SCG. In four Tests there he averages 221.33
VVS Laxman averages 96.20 at the SCG, a far cry from the 14.25 he averages at the MCG :O

Anyone else getting sick of this "Sachins 100th Century" wank fest because I sure am.

Yep.

He's an all time great, arguably the best of the current generation.

He's still a douche and wouldn't mind seeing siddle touch him up and bit, then bowl him.

(Can't rely on our slips or wicket keeper to take a catch :D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back