Traded Dayne Beams and pick 67 traded for picks 5 and 25, and Jack Crisp

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which of our second year rookies wanted to come to Collingwood?
Why dont you guys come out an say none of the players mentioned want to go to collingwood? cause i am sure if all are asked there will be multiple tackers who would be more then happy to come and play at the westpac centre!

That is why Beams will never play for Brisbane.
Effectively they have valued Alan Christensen above getting the Beams deal done.
Why would a player want to play for a club that stuffed up your movement there?

I agree, why WOULD Beams want to play at Collingwood.

Again, it is not pick 5 only, it is players available at that pick, within reason. Even limit it to picks 5-8 if you want. Do you think Collingwood would have only picked the players picked at 5 since that time? No, they would have been picking the player that they rated highest/suited their needs. Again, it is plausible, even likely, that your recruiters would have appropriately rated a Wines/Wingard/Aish type at pick 5 in those drafts.
Why should we trade on the assumption that we are better at drafting than everyone else in the AFL. Even if that were true, it does't affect the value of the actual pick.

Again, it is not pick 5 only, it is players available at that pick, within reason. Even limit it to picks 5-8 if you want. Do you think Collingwood would have only picked the same players picked at 5 since 2005, given the same pick each year? No, they would have been picking the player that they rated highest/suited their needs. Again, it is plausible, even likely, that your recruiters would have appropriately rated a Wines/Wingard/Aish type at pick 5 in those drafts.

In summary, pick 5 does not directly give you the average of historical pick 5s, but a ticket to pick the highest possible rated player on your draft board.

The fact is though that pick 5 and 25 is unders. If Collingwood came to Port and said you can have either Beams or pick 5 +25, which would you pick?

Still wouldn't trade Beams for any of those sets of 3... would anyone?
Mitchell doesn't count either as he was a top 5 pick taken F/S
Cunnington+Basti+Black is Ok, still not fantastic in terms of compensation for Beams, and that is 1 in 5. You also seem to think Beams just excels on the inside...o_O

Nobody wants to trade an established player for picks, irrespective if your odds are good, it is still a risk and likely wont help you in the short-term. It is about risk management, what can you get for him now vs what you can expect if he leaves next year is what you have to weigh up.

I'm sure Brisbane can fit him in for a mill, considering they offered him a contract of 800k this year, he gets to the club next year on 1 mill a year over 1 year, then has contract extension of say 400k over 3 years.

I've no doubt they can offer that as well but you were inferring to Brisbane offering him an over inflated price to scare other clubs off which just can't be done these days as there's no way the AFL will allow it. If another club matches Brisbane in both cash/length of contract and they have an earlier pick then he has to go there whether he likes it or not.

dayne-beams-300x0.jpg

=
number_5_red.jpg
+
number-10-clipart-red-rounded-with-number-10-md.png

I've no doubt they can offer that as well but you were inferring to Brisbane offering him an over inflated price to scare other clubs off which just can't be done these days as there's no way the AFL will allow it. If another club matches Brisbane in both cash/length of contract and they have an earlier pick then he has to go there whether he likes it or not.

Beams has every right to put as much money on his head as he likes.....its his terms as an un contracted player.
Like I said no team will waste a top 5 draft pick on a player that doesn't want to be at its club. Especially on a salary of 1 mill over 1 year....the risk is far too great.

Lions made the right decision in making sure that they got Christensen for 21.

It's a fantastic deal for the club, and worth the risk that they won't get Beams this year IMO.

Yup. Picked up a solid young player for fair value. Didn't get bent over the trade table trying to acquire a disgruntled young player from another club. Didn't alienate our current young players by shopping them around. A win all around for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The fact is though that pick 5 and 25 is unders. If Collingwood came to Port and said you can have either Beams or pick 5 +25, which would you pick?

Beams. But if he wanted to leave the club for compassionate reasons as is the case here, I'd happily take a top 5 pick and 2nd rounder, thank him for his service and respect his desire to go home to his family .

How do you determine if this unders btw? What are previous trades for similar players? Beams is probably in the bottom half of the top 50 players in the comp, what would players 1-25 fetch? There aren't too many levels above 5+25...

Chris Judd was traded for 3, 20 and Josh Kennedy. A far better player than Beams, allowing for the difference in quality both trades are about right.

Shaun Burgoyne and 24 were traded for 9 and 16, probably a player at a similar level and comparable deal.

5 & 25 unders for Beams? Hmm...

I don't the history of the PSD that well, but how many times has a player who has nominated a preferred club been picked up by an alternate club in the PSD? The Luke Ball move to the Pies was a case in point.

I don't the history of the PSD that well, but how many times has a player who has nominated a preferred club been picked up by an alternate club in the PSD? The Luke Ball move to the Pies was a case in point.

Luke Ball didn't go in the PSD.
Nick Stevens & Jade Rawlings are two famous examples of players going to an alternate club in the PSD.

Beams. But if he wanted to leave the club for compassionate reasons as is the case here, I'd happily take a top 5 pick and 2nd rounder, thank him for his service and respect his desire to go home to his family .

How do you determine if this unders btw? What are previous trades for similar players? Beams is probably in the bottom half of the top 50 players in the comp, what would players 1-25 fetch? There aren't too many levels above 5+25...

Chris Judd was traded for 3, 20 and Josh Kennedy. A far better player than Beams, allowing for the difference in quality both trades are about right.

Shaun Burgoyne and 24 were traded for 9 and 16, probably a player at a similar level and comparable deal.

5 & 25 unders for Beams? Hmm...
Burgoyne was older than Beams and had injury concerns. Beams more valuable, thus 5+21+25=pretty fair. We were even going to chuck in pick 30.

So all you're haggling about then is a 9 pick upgrade in the second round? Splitting hairs innit?

Beams has every right to put as much money on his head as he likes.....its his terms as an un contracted player.
Like I said no team will waste a top 5 draft pick on a player that doesn't want to be at its club. Especially on a salary of 1 mill over 1 year....the risk is far too great.

I'm sure the AFL will have a different view on it so we'll just have to wait and see how it all pans out.

Nick Stevens & Jade Rawlings are two famous examples of players going to an alternate club in the PSD.

Cheers. Just googled Ball, pick 30 at draft. Did his manger state his club of choice prior to the draft though? Will be interesting to watch how this all plays out over the next fews days. If nothing happens so be it. Lions have 5, 25, +Christensen, -Patfull.

So all you're haggling about then is a 9 pick upgrade in the second round? Splitting hairs innit?

They don't know what they want. On the one hand they want one of our quality players, on the other hand they say we don't have any quality players. They want a ready-made player instead of a draft pick, then suddenly 3 draft picks is a fair deal. Just smile, nod, and move on, the same way you treat that slow guy down the street when he bails you up as you're walking past.

They don't know what they want. On the one hand they want one of our quality players, on the other hand they say we don't have any quality players. They want a ready-made player instead of a draft pick, then suddenly 3 draft picks is a fair deal. Just smile, nod, and move on, the same way you treat that slow guy down the street when he bails you up as you're walking past.
Nah, it's pretty simple. We wanted ready-made. If not possible 3 draft picks was acceptable. I find it pretty slow that you wouldn't give up 5+2 2nd rounders for a guy who becomes your highest pais player

Not a fan of chucking in 30 TBH. but it would bring it into acceptable territory. Could even be the difference in getting Greenwood

So you want, roughly, picks 5, 25 and Greenwood for Beams. Wow.

How are people saying Beams doesn't have a legitimate reason to leave anymore? If your father battles 8 months with cancer while your in another state for large part of that, wouldn't you want to spend time with him after you could have easily lost him? Id hate to see what collingwood fans would do if he just wanted to leave for money or a better team like everyone else. Have some compassion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back