Mega Thread Dayne Beams trade (Its over, thread closed)

What do you support the club to do? (Opposition respondents will be carded)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
None but I still believe that standing by our intentions of not including a top player, isn't necessarily a PR hit for us just because we don't land Beams.

You can't tell me that if we buckled and traded (For example) Pick 5 + Redden, that our fans would be happy? I certainly wouldn't.

It would be the equivalent of the Crows wanting Pendlebury for Dangerfield, you just don't do it.

Your hardcore fans prob wouldn't be happy.

But Redden aint going to bring in new memberships like Beams will. Your marketing department would be praying you get him.

Plus by not making a deal it puts doubts in future players minds who want to nominate Brisbane during trade week.

Last edited:

Thanks, another serious and sincere question: is it true that Brisbane generally felt that they were screwed by the "go home 5" deals?
Considering the circumstances, we were going to get nothing if we didn't trade so what we got offered is what we had to take.

But yes, I do think we got screwed - but with good drafting we seem to have come out of it better then expected.

For the record, Collingwood was the only club who gave us an equal in Paine for Karnezis but that was because North were going to offer better and you didn't want to miss out.

Considering the circumstances, we were going to get nothing if we didn't trade so what we got offered is what we had to take.

But yes, I do think we got screwed - but with good drafting we seem to have come out of it better then expected.

For the record, Collingwood was the only club who gave us an equal in Paine for Karnezis but that was because North were going to offer better and you didn't want to miss out.
hahahahahahahahahahaha.
The like for like scenario is only alright one way is it? Didnt Karnezis nominate us as his preffered club??

Paine is better than what north were going to offer?

They must'n have offered yous much then.

Im beginning to think we need a separate thread where nothing written by a non Collingwood supporter (media included) can be posted, this thread must be causing aneurysms by the dozen.

9xqb4j0hcg0n3bq7s3vnpcj3f.360x253x1.jpg

If Hine and Pert have to deal with Brisbane, so should we ;)

Life imitating art imitating life and all that :p

Paine is better than what north were going to offer?

They must'n have offered yous much then.
Pick 47 to be exact, considering our need for talls - it was the better deal.

What does this say?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-09-30/pies-no-to-no4

THE BRISBANE Lions will have to give up more than just pick No.4 to secure Collingwood star Dayne Beams, Magpies list manager Derek Hine says.

Hine told NAB AFL Trade Radio on Tuesday the Magpies won't accept the Lions' first draft pick as a straight swap for the 24-year-old All Australian midfielder.

"From our side of things we clearly rate Dayne as a player that's just really moving into the prime of his career," Hine said.

"Clearly he's an elite player in the competition.

"It's going to take a little bit more than pick four, put it this way."

Trade winds: Tuesday

Hine said the Pies wanted a ready-made player to replace Beams, who is contracted until the end of 2015 but wants to return to Queensland to be closer to his family and has nominated the Lions as his preferred club.

It does not say we are after pick 5 and a best 22 player.

On the contrary, says to our members that we won't buckle for over the top demands.

Take this to the bank.

James Aish will be in the next 24-36 hours announcing what his future will be at Brisbane.

Through manager Liam Pickering, he will either re-sign a contract extension which is due to expire at the end of 2015 or he will ask to be traded to either Collingwood or Adelaide.

Brisbane may well lose another young gun and have no Dayne Beams to show for their false bravado.

Do yourself a favour, give us pick 5 and Aish or you will continue to spiral back to the inept years of the Brisbane Bears.

If this drags on to next year it will be really interesting if Gold Coast aren't able to re-sign Ablett and are able to put a competitive offer to Beamer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok so... Brisbane logic
Every other club f***ed us, but Collingwood was the only club to give a fair deal.
So lets f*** them now... Yeah!!!

Greg Swann is pretty stupid isn't he?
He said he wants to sweeten the Pick 5 & Pick 25 deal with an exchange of later picks.
At this stage, Brisbane have allocated their third round pick with an academy player.
Why would Collingwood want to upgrade their fourth round selection given they will be not activating that pick in the first place?

Brisbane will come to the party.

There isn't a player on their list better than Beams. These opportunities for fledgling, rank clubs don't come around every day.

But hey, that 15th placed finish this season for the Bears was really something - don't think they need Beams at all

The clock is ticking.....and the door is about to slam shut.

Beams will be fine next season. He will still have a very strong support network around him and mates like Sidebottom and Swanny.

In fact, you actually don't realise how good something is, until you've actually lost it or in Beams' case about to lose it (which could well turn into an omen for him in the long run).

I don't understand all of the anger towards Brisbane's tactics, or ours from Brisbane supporters. Both clubs are playing this like Negotiation 101. They are highlighting their positions of strength and their opponents weaknesses. All points raised have been legitimate.

Getting all emotional about what is going on is silly because they are standard negotiation techniques. We have already achieved a win in gaining their second round pick. Whether we can extract anything else is yet to be seen.

My major concern is that both parties have back themselves in to a corner where to achieve an agreement one of the parties will be seen to have lost badly. That does not bode well for an agreement to be reached.

If a deal is to be done that saves face it may need to be something like:

Brisbane - Beams and third round pick
Collingwood - Pick 5 and Aish

I think we may need to give up something more if we want a quality player out of Brisbane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back