Mega Thread Dayne Beams trade (Its over, thread closed)

What do you support the club to do? (Opposition respondents will be carded)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think both clubs have made their point pretty clear cut to one another. It's seriously unlikely a trade will be done for Beams now imo. Which is a lose-lose situation for everybody.

Need to find some sort of middle ground between pick 5 + 25(our offer) and Pick 5 + one of our young guns(Mayes, Green, Aish, Taylor etc etc)

Pick 5 + 25 + one of Lester/Golby any better? They're not exactly spuds. Lester in all honesty is our best genuine contested ball winner but needs to work on his tank. Golby had a pretty bad year compared to 2013.

Beams is no doubt worth more, but we just aren't in he position to give it at the moment.

This whole thing is driving me crazy. The personal shots taken between Collingwood and Lions posters over on the Drafts and Trading board is nonsense.

I'm only over here to try and have a decent discussion. Nothing more.
Thanks for your post and thanks for being constructive but we arent interested in draft picks and decent players. I think we'd be much more likely to budge on pick 5 than our demand for a quality player. Without that offer of a quality player its unlikely anything will happen

Question regarding Beams and if he chooses not to play next season?

If Beams refuses to play for us next season, is his contract breached? If so do we get his remaining salary for 2015 added to our books as spare cash for 2016?

If this is the case then I say we keep Beams, let him sit out and pitch some coin at potential targets during the season like the Lions did with Beams. Grab a compo pick, I'd say we will do alright as chances are we probably won't make the 8 (I could be wrong but!) so we will get a decent compo pick, sign Patty D and also have possibly enough to sign another quality player to a nice contract.

I'm sure we will go through the correct channels and be a bit more up-front about our dealings

Hey, I came across this transcript of a conversation between Ed and Swann dating back a few weeks ago. Thought I'd share ...

Ed: "G'day Greg, it's Ed here"

Greg: "How's it going Ed?"

Ed: "Yeah, good mate ... We've got a bit of an issue here, Dayne Beams wants to spend more time with his sick Dad and wants to move up to join your mob to play footy with his brother."

Greg: "Yeah, fine, we'll take him"

Ed: "We would be looking at your first pick and one of your gun youngsters as compensation?"

Greg: "Yeah, no worries, just tell us which one and we'll make it happen. Beams is a marquee player and we're only to happy to pay what it takes to get him here."

Ed: "Great, but one more thing"

Greg: "yes?"

Ed: "Look this is a big thing for both of our clubs. Our rivalry has waned a bit since 2003. How about we milk this a bit, create a bit of drama, create a bit of theatre to get the fans' competitive juices flowing. You push a low bid, we stick to our guns. Heck, we'll get Beams to miss the Copeland and pick up the tab at his local for him to hang out with his mates - he won't mind that. We'll impose deadlines on the trade, drag in other clubs and feign walking away from the negotiating table. But in the end you relent and do the deal. You end up with Beams and a happy membership. We end up sticking to our principles and a happy membership. Beams ends up home and a happy family. win:win:win. What do you say?"

Greg: "Great idea Ed, let's do it!"

Ed: "Great!"

I love Beamsy but if he wants out i can't see the advantage to the club in keeping a disgruntled player around and especially with the media circus that will take place will be just another distraction the club could do without.We should take pick 5 and pick 25.It's not ideal but when you consider for Daisy we got pick 11 as FA compensation.If we wait til next year we could get a worse pick than 5 depending where we end up and we won't get another pick at 25.Let's take pick 5 and 25 and move on.We will use pick 25 for Greenwood anyway, so technically we get a player.

Good to see the club hold strong. I'm sick of seeing people on facebook and bigfooty tell us to "let the poor guy go home". He's f***ing contracted! Brisbane are trying to force us into a PR battle to get a top 15-20 league mid for nothing. The Judd trade landed WCE pick 3, Kennedy (pick 4) and pick 20. The Burgoyne trade landed Port 2 first rounders (9 & 15?) plus a fringe player as steak knives (regardless of the fact Jay Nash was a spud, steak knives are steak knives). I rate Beams somewhere between these two which says to me that 2 first rounders is MINIMUM in a deal like this. 5 & Aish/Mayes/Redden covers that requirement. If we need to buckle maybe we throw in pick 30. F**k Brisbane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's it in a nutshell. In that case you can't afford him and it's all off. End of discussion. He's under contract.

One would have thought that if you can't afford to trade for him logic dictates you don't court him while under contract? Or am I missing something?

800k at the end of the day is a big offer for someone you "can't afford to trade for".

Copied this of someone who posted it on Facebook (probably someone from here). Thought it was a good post:

So to everyone throwing stones at Collingwood, let's get some perspective shall we? Beams is genuine A-grade. Not the Magpie's best player, but easily 2nd best and given his age and Collingwood's list profile he is super important. So I have put together a list of all the 18 AFL clubs along with a player with the same currency in each team. Now if you're a supporter of one of these 17 other teams, let me ask you if you would take picks 5 and 25 for your club's contracted gun below?

Adelaide - Taylor Walker
Brisbane - Pearce Hanley
Carlton - Bryce Gibbs or Marc Murphy
Collingwood - Dayne Beams (obviously)
Essendon - Dyson Heppell
Fremantle - Hayden Ballantyne
Geelong - Mitch Duncan/Stephen Motlop
Gold Coast - Dion Prestia
GWS - Adam Treloar
Hawthorn - Jordan Lewis
Melbourne - n/a
North Melbourne - Todd Goldstein
Port Adelaide - Robbie Gray/Chad Wingard
Richmond - Dustin Martin
St Kilda - n/a
Sydney - Luke Parker/Daniel Hannebery
West Coast - Josh Kennedy
Western Bulldogs - Tom Liberatore

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beamo going nowhere.

BzddFF7CIAEiQi6.jpg

Buckley: "Now listen you smug little prick, Collingwood pre-season starts next month, you are expected to present. We have a spot for you to perform in the VFL now that Kyle Martin has retired. You can look forward to adding a JJ Liston Medal to your CV".

Is it just me or is the fact that trades and contract negotiations are played out via the media actually making a mountain out of a molehill?

When Cloke last did his negotiation people were booing him, plenty were turning on him on boards like this and then he signs again anyway.

heck me, plenty of people attempt to re-negotiate contracts or salaries, doesn't turn them into campaigners overnight.

Hopefully it is a bit of a Ryan O'Keeffe type scenario, where ROK tried to move to Hawthorn but a trade couldn't be agreed so ROK stayed and played out a great career with the Swans. Be great to still have Beams in the B&W next year

Is it just me or is the fact that trades and contract negotiations are played out via the media actually making a mountain out of a molehill?

When Cloke last did his negotiation people were booing him, plenty were turning on him on boards like this and then he signs again anyway.

heck me, plenty of people attempt to re-negotiate contracts or salaries, doesn't turn them into campaigners overnight.

Hopefully it is a bit of a Ryan O'Keeffe type scenario, where ROK tried to move to Hawthorn but a trade couldn't be agreed so ROK stayed and played out a great career with the Swans. Be great to still have Beams in the B&W next year
I think you will find that precious little of the opinions stated by the media or on BF bear any resemblance to reality.

Last edited:
If you walk into a shop with $1.00 to buy a drink that costs $1.50 will the shopkeeper sell you the drink for $1.00 or will they tell you to go away and get another 50 cents?

Mates rates? :p

I suppose that won't exactly work between our two clubs though. Out of curiosity, what do you guys think is going to happen with the whole scenario? Personally can't see a trade happening at this stage myself.

I suppose that won't exactly work between our two clubs though. Out of curiosity, what do you guys think is going to happen with the whole scenario? Personally can't see a trade happening at this stage myself.
Pretty much with you on that although not 100% convinced. Who knows what the reality is in the back rooms but with the statements made publicly and the egos involved it's not looking overly likely IMO.

I love Beamsy but if he wants out i can't see the advantage to the club in keeping a disgruntled player around and especially with the media circus that will take place will be just another distraction the club could do without.We should take pick 5 and pick 25.It's not ideal but when you consider for Daisy we got pick 11 as FA compensation.If we wait til next year we could get a worse pick than 5 depending where we end up and we won't get another pick at 25.Let's take pick 5 and 25 and move on.We will use pick 25 for Greenwood anyway, so technically we get a player.

Don't mind the club rolling dice and seeing what happens next year if we can't get what we want. Really think the distraction thing is overplayed Ablett, Buddy, Ward and Rischitelli all come to mind as examples of players who had a media circus around them in their final year at their clubs and played really well.
But I agree with you in that I fail to see how getting Greenwood and 5 assuming we aren't sending anything else out isn't getting what we want.

It's up to Brisbane.

If Brisbane don't think Beams is worth relinquishing a player Collingwood wants (which is fair enough) then I think you're correct, a deal won't get done.

so just thinking with Essendon Loop hole and all with Patrick Ryder perhaps we should follow suit.
1) we allow beams to break his contract due to his ill father. we then get compensated by the AFL with Pick #6.
2) we then trade Josh Thomas ( Brisbane boy ) for pick #5 and #25.

I just listened to Derek speak, (in his usual calculated way) and he acknowledged it's difficult given the similar ages of the list.
Having said that, it's not our problem to solve.
They want to improve their list, (at the detriment of ours) by adding a 100 game player then find a way to get it done that makes us feel ok about it.

(maybe should get a woman involved in the negotiations? - said with the best of intentions ladies!)

so just thinking with Essendon Loop hole and all with Patrick Ryder perhaps we should follow suit.
1) we allow beams to break his contract due to his ill father. we then get compensated by the AFL with Pick #6.
Was put to Hine and he doesn't think it is a possibility nor does he think that the Ryder thing can happen.

Beams isn't a free agent and doesn't qualify until 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back