Mega Thread Dayne Beams trade (Its over, thread closed)

What do you support the club to do? (Opposition respondents will be carded)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They then went out and spent on Mumford and Shaw plus they are going after Griffin doubt the Giants are a likely option.
LOL how would you even know????????????????? It's the afl's team trying to compete against soccer and the nrl in the west and they need to achieve now, so just think about it for a sec ;) why do you think sos and gws have stock-piled draft picks the past three years????? for situations like this champ :)

As a supporter, I regret the day Ed brought in Swann as CEO of collingwoodfc. By doing so, he gave him a leg up to work in the 'big leagues'. Unless mistaken, he was a 2 bit footy administrator at port Melbourne (and it shows). He shouldn't take any credit for the turnaround at both the pies and the blues. What he's good for is stirring up a whole bunch of publicity and putting teams back in the papers (via player movements etc) that's about it.

Fairly surprised neither us or Brisbane didn't try harder to involve a G.W.S. or other club in negotiations.

Say Brisbane offered Pick 5 to G.W.S. for a player like Devon Smith (doesn't have to be him, just someone of that calibre), who is rumoured to want to come back to Victoria. Pick 5 for him (+ maybe a swap of second rounders and other minor deals) would lead to Brisbane being able to offer us Devon Smith and, say, Pick 21 or at worst Pick 25. Now Devon Smith, to us, is without a doubt worth more than a Pick 5, so I fail to see how we would reject that...with Brisbane getting exactly who they want in Beams and only giving up a fraction more in terms of draft picks to acquire Smith.

If Brisbane come up with an offer we deem reasonable on Monday, we will take it, deadline or no deadline. There's standing your ground, and there's being idiots.

The reason we aren't accepting 5 + 25 is we think it's way unders, and we think it's not good enough to give up on Beams' last year of contract and it's not far enough from what we would get next year from a club willing to secure their target before they go to the draft (last first round, early second round?).

If we end up accepting 5 + 25, the club will have to deal with a lot of angry fans and it will be terrible PR. But if we accept a 5 + 21 + Greenwood for Beams + 30, we will have the minor issue of explaining why we accepted something after the deadline, but a very easy narrative to do so. Clubs will move on and in 6 months everyone will have forgotten about it.

The issue is Brisbane seem set to give 21 for Christensen, which almost all Geelong supporters think is unders. And all of us think 5 + 25 is unders. And they also have got overs for Patfull from good guys GWS. Brisbane have made monster offers to players to convince them to hold their club to ransom as to their destination and are now trying to get both players on the cheap. Basically they are being greedy.

I think they are lacking foresight by trying to screw clubs around: at the trade table, what goes around comes around. Looking forward to see how things work out next time they have players wanting out.

I don't care what they offered us anymore, the Beams matter should be closed with Brisbane no matter what trade they offer us now.

If GWS don't get Griffin they will offer us a similar deal and we will take it before they even finish saying their offer. They have been reasonable traders since they have come in to the comp and good on them for that. They know you have to give up quality to get quality.

Who would you pick griff or beams?
Ok stupid question but try to take your pies hat off- I have tried and beams still is far more superior than griff age/injury history/achievements etc.
GWS would be crazy to chase griff over beams
Not to mention how bad a captain getting coach sacked and aslo leaving club
Even tho beams is being a little spoilt brat
Just my personal thought

I don't care what they offered us anymore, the Beams matter should be closed with Brisbane no matter what trade they offer us now.

If GWS don't get Griffin they will offer us a similar deal and we will take it before they even finish saying their offer. They have been reasonable traders since they have come in to the comp and good on them for that. They know you have to give up quality to get quality.

I don't think the club should run these things on emotion. We're standing our ground on the trade table because we rationally think that the offer is not good enough for our contracted second best player.

If what we think is a fair offer comes after our artificially set deadline, it would be irrational not to take it. Especially as there is no guarantee Beams and his manager will accept a deal to another club.

LOL how would you even know????????????????? It's the afl's team trying to compete against soccer and the nrl in the west and they need to achieve now, so just think about it for a sec ;) why do you think sos and gws have stock-piled draft picks the past three years????? for situations like this champ :)

Cool story don't see what any of that has to do with GWS going after Beams
Its public knowledge they payed Shaw and Mumford last year on big $$$ not to mention they have heaps of talented youngsters who they will need to pay re-sign
They are also on the record saying they aren't moving Treloar and they are going Griffin and he will have to play for less due to their TPP position
All these things will not only make it a lot harder to give Dayne a contract that is so far above Brisbanes he will change his mind and it makes it hard for them to offer us what Dayne's worth

Not saying it is impossible but GWS is seriously unlikely destination for Dayne

Fairly surprised neither us or Brisbane didn't try harder to involve a G.W.S. or other club in negotiations.

Say Brisbane offered Pick 5 to G.W.S. for a player like Devon Smith (doesn't have to be him, just someone of that calibre), who is rumoured to want to come back to Victoria. Pick 5 for him (+ maybe a swap of second rounders and other minor deals) would lead to Brisbane being able to offer us Devon Smith and, say, Pick 21 or at worst Pick 25. Now Devon Smith, to us, is without a doubt worth more than a Pick 5, so I fail to see how we would reject that...with Brisbane getting exactly who they want in Beams and only giving up a fraction more in terms of draft picks to acquire Smith.
'
Why would GWS trade Smith for pick 5? You said youself he was worth more than pick 5... They need senior players far more than draft picks...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is what will happen imo. He will get to Brisbane in the end. It'd be nice to have all these other clubs coming in with offers, but they also have to come up with $800K in their salary cap out of the blue. I doubt many, if any, are in the positioin to do this. And bugger this idea of us paying him to play elsewhere. Thats just stupid imo

The club has a history of getting players where they want to go. I don't see how this will be any different. If we end up with Pick 5, Greenwood and Varcoe for Beams, we have essentially answered our own questions. Decent pick with established players (not as good as Beams, but not many are). Thats my take. We'll see what happens

Tend to agree the only club that could do an acceptable deal is the suns but it does not seem likely. They are the only other club that can negate the family/go home factor.

But their cap is said to be full so if they gave us a good deal I think we should be prepared to pay part of his salary for a year or to.

That said I feel their are two possible outcomes, we trade him to the Brions or he will be at the pies next year. Odds are in favour of him being traded to the Brions IMO.

Take the emotion (and I was pretty fired up early) out of it and they seem to be the likely outcomes unless beams changes his mind.

They have money champ. Any team can decide to chase beams more than griffen.
when they trade away kids for beams it clears money to add to wage offer to a deal they give beams ;) simple champ
Who said it has to be treloar in the deal????????????????
Maybe treloar is homesick and wants to come home again witch everyone knows about :)

My thoughts exactly. They will probably need to start looking to trim their list, so a two for one (beams) ensures that they can lock in a quality young footballer for five years right away instead of waiting another 2-3 years for others to develop

The problem GWS have got is that they are irrelevant in Sydney until they start winning consistently. How long they can go along like that is anyone's guess but just having endless early draft picks does not ensure success.

They need quality mature players in the guts. Griffin or Beams would fill a major hole in their line-up immediately.

Does anyone get the feeling that Hine has already been made an offer from a rival club other than Brisbane for Beams that he is keeping in his back pocket? Telling the club, that they are very interested in that proposal, but in respect for Beams, we will give Brisbane the first opportunity to deal? Then bang- Brisbane have the Friday deadline and Pies are asking for Pick 5 and a quality player?

Does anyone get the feeling that Hine has already been made an offer from a rival club other than Brisbane for Beams that he is keeping in his back pocket? Telling the club, that they are very interested in that proposal, but in respect for Beams, we will give Brisbane the first opportunity to deal? Then bang- Brisbane have the Friday deadline and Pies are asking for Pick 5 and a quality player?

No.

The rival club also need to negotiate with Beams too. No point Collingwood getting into a slanging match with Beams with one party saying "we want you to go to GWS" and the other party saying "but I want to go to Brisbane"

From the club's perspective, the best thing for them to do is to say to Beams (Conners) "any other clubs you would prefer to go to than stay at Collingwood?" and then deal with them.

I think we need to go to Conners and tell him we have acceptable offers from these clubs, now it's your job to go to them and get the best deal you can for Dayne and we will be wiling to add a bit of cash ourselves if necessary. Once you have done that take the offers to Dayne and see what he thinks because it's either one of these offers or Collingwood next year.

That's a fair shout. We may have received an offer we are willing to accept before the trade period commenced but for PR purposes gave Brisbane the chance to deal exclusively considering Beams' situation with his father. Hence we imposed a deadline to ensure Beams would at least have some incentive to look at a deal from another club in the second week. I reckon he would be panicking big-time right now.

If Brisbane come up with an offer we deem reasonable on Monday, we will take it, deadline or no deadline. There's standing your ground, and there's being idiots.

And there's setting precedents.

... what goes around comes around. Looking forward to see how things work out next time ...

Exactly!

Which is why I think Collingwood will stick to the deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back