Player Watch Dayne Beams

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

People can debate the merits of the trade, should we or shouldn't we have - but the reality is we had a number of people in the football department against bringing him back.

They were overruled by a President who has way too much influence at the club, and quite simply has had his day. This and the Gubby/Balme disaster is just too much.

If he retires, there's no doubt that there will be a lot of negative comments about the merit of the trade.

In hindsight, it has turned out to be a shocker.

I try never to judge a decision in hindsight. I try to look back at the evidence and information available at the time the decision was made and see if the decision was correct at the time.

The Need for Beams
We were coming off a very close GF loss, and it was largely accepted that we were 1 quality mid short. For all the talk about lack of KPPs, it was really the midfield that let us down on GF day. Dayne Beams was a quality midfielder who could have filled that void.

On the flip side, it could be argued that our midfield was dominant all year, and only let us down on GF day. Sidebottom was well held, Pendles was suffering from countless injuries, Treloar was underdone following his hamstring surgery and Sier was only an 11 game player. So perhaps we could have banked more on internal improvement as opposed to trying to buy it.

The Window of Opportunity
I have no issue with a club going hard when they are in a window. We ultimately lost picks 17 (2018) and 17(2019) out of the deal, and I would argue neither would be serving us any purpose whilst in this window. So attacking a quality player had my blessings. I believe you should be more conservative when you are in rebuilding phase, as you want to bank quality young players. The question therefore is whether Dayne Beams was the correct player to target.

The Actual Trade
I maintain that the actual deal done wasn't too bad. We were always going to take Quaynor and Kelly with our first 2 picks. Quaynor was bid on at pick 13, so we would have had to use pick 17 on him. We got enough points from the deal to secure Kelly as well without going into deficit. So to come our with Beams, Quaynor and Kelly was our objective...and we did that.

We lost pick 17 this year (would have been 16 but bunked down for GC priority). But I think we would have been pretty wrapped with Bianco and Rantall. We basically said to Bianco we were no chance of getting him because he'd be gone by our pick. And we obviously rated Rantall even higher because we took him ahead of Bianco even though he was available. Time will tell whether the net difference between pick 17 or Rantall will be that high.

The only question becomes whether we could have used 2 first round picks in a more beneficial trade.

Opportunity Cost
We could never know what was available...but did we miss out on other opportunities because we chased Beams? Ie, Dylan Sheil was on the market for a similar price, or we could have made a play at Saad. Could we have thrown more money at Tom Lynch? Could we have entered the Coniglio race this year? We'll never know because we threw our eggs into the Dayne Beams basket.

At a minimum, I think it cost us James Aish last year because we had a salary cap squeeze.

The Physical and Mental Issues
Only those internal could tell us as fact whether we were aware of the mental issues Dayne is facing. We all know he was battling after the loss of his dad...but did we know the extend of his battle? Or more particularly...SHOULD we have known the extent of his battle.

There are rumours around the gambling debts. Are these rumours true? And if so, should that have been the red flag?

He had physical ailments which had kept him away from a lot of footy. He had hip surgery early last year as well. Was our physical thorough enough? Or were we blinded by the romance of bringing back a premiership player and club champion?

Finally, is he a good bloke? He bailed on us once, and did the same to Brisbane after telling everyone he would never leave at the best and fairest night. All questions that only those internal can answer.
Great analysis. I had forgotten all that history, but recalling it makes the trade to get Beams much less of a disaster.

Great analysis. I had forgotten all that history, but recalling it makes the trade to get Beams much less of a disaster.

One could just as easily make a post about the need for Tom Lynch, who arguably we cooled our interest on in favour of Dayne Beams.

Positionally speaking we needed a key forward more than we needed an extra midfielder.

In 2019 we missed Mason Cox far more than we missed Dayne Beams, because we had no depth to cover Cox and plenty to cover Beams.

People can debate the merits of the trade, should we or shouldn't we have - but the reality is we had a number of people in the football department against bringing him back.

They were overruled by a President who has way too much influence at the club, and quite simply has had his day. This and the Gubby/Balme disaster is just too much.

And his gonna get another 3 years...........

And his gonna get another 3 years...........

Yep, heading towards 25 years.

"McGuire's board resisted a 2017 recommendation that there be term limits - a position that was recommended by governance expert Chris Thomas in his review of the board and governance."

Hey Jen, last week you said you were told some information which shocked you (my words sorry) or surprised you.
what you were told, did it involve credit cards ?
thanks
Spot on. That's exactly what I was told.

One could just as easily make a post about the need for Tom Lynch, who arguably we cooled our interest on in favour of Dayne Beams.
Don’t rewrite history please. Lynch had well and truly selected Richmond as his destination before we pursued Beams.
Positionally speaking we needed a key forward more than we needed an extra midfielder.

In 2019 we missed Mason Cox far more than we missed Dayne Beams, because we had no depth to cover Cox and plenty to cover Beams.
The first line is true. The second I’m not so sure about. Cox’s form was pretty much garbage most of the year. I don’t think we really missed him that much given he was providing no more value than Reid was. I’d argue we were, and still are, missing a genuine dangerous key forward target, regardless of Cox’s availability.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were into Lynch up to our eyeballs until it became absolutely clear to everyone outside of himself, Connors and Balme that he favoured Richmond and only Richmond.

We also wanted May before we wanted Beams. We only cooled on May once it became clear that Gold Coast wasn't going to wait an extra year for him to become a free agent and we didn't have the picks to make a trade happen.

Where’s your source for that?

Overruled by Eddie on a trade decision?

I don’t believe that quite frankly. I want you to provide some evidence for this.

You clearly have an agenda. What username did you have before you got banned?

Seriously hope this stealing players money and CC cards rumour is false.
I hope all rumours are false about Beams because the stigma attached to them you would never lose mental health issues or not.

The biggest problem for Beams is the gambling because nearly every bad decision he makes leads back to his love of punting.

The first line is true. The second I’m not so sure about. Cox’s form was pretty much garbage most of the year. I don’t think we really missed him that much given he was providing no more value than Reid was. I’d argue we were, and still are, missing a genuine dangerous key forward target, regardless of Cox’s availability.
Regardless of his form we needed Cox more than Beams due to the lack of available depth options. Mihoceks form dropped away dramatically after Cox went down. Even in poor form he was structurally crucial.

Pies cooled interest when it became evident Lynch to the Tigers was a foregone conclusion long before they entered the fray

We were into Lynch up to our eyeballs until it became absolutely clear to everyone outside of himself, Connors and Balme that he favoured Richmond and only Richmond.

We also wanted May before we wanted Beams. We only cooled on May once it became clear that Gold Coast wasn't going to wait an extra year for him to become a free agent and we didn't have the picks to make a trade happen.

We were more like the desperate bloke at a bar trying his hand at 2:45am on a young lass who has been all over some other bloke all night and is waiting for him to come back from the Gents so they can head on their merry way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back