Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 18, 2005
Barstow, Cal14nia
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
GAVROI MOUNIA... GAMW TON PIRAEA
Todays Caroline Wilson article in the age states:

Already, last week, at least one Melbourne-based club had contacted his manager, Ricky Nixon, and suggested interest in Laidley for a director of coaching role. The industry was reading the play and saw the writing on the wall for the second coaching departure of the season.

That was us - we're going to re offer him the role as Director of Coaching.

Initially (last year) during the large scale negotiations with North about his contract extension - he was on the cusp of signing with us.

Seems now that he is out of a job, our interest is still there.

Lock it in Eddie :thumbsu:

Very astute man. I think he alot to offer in football. Would be a major coup for the footy club.

Pardon my ignorance, what exact role does the director of coaching play?

What would Caroline Wilson know anyway. The amount of mistakes that come directly from her is just amazing. And yet she keeps her job at The Age. She potted Arocca overnight, yet he was on SEN this morning to completely refute her claims. Maybe she thinks that if she writes enough articles, that she'll get ut right every now and then.

What would Caroline Wilson know anyway. The amount of mistakes that come directly from her is just amazing. And yet she keeps her job at The Age. She potted Arocca overnight, yet he was on SEN this morning to completely refute her claims. Maybe she thinks that if she writes enough articles, that she'll get ut right every now and then.

In fairness though,

Laidley admitted publically to nearly signing with Carlton last year during an interview as he was "sick of the to'ing and fro'ing of the contract negotiations with North at the time".

I've been given the good oil by someone I trust. :thumbsu:

In fairness though,

Laidley admitted publically to nearly signing with Carlton last year during an interview as he was "sick of the to'ing and fro'ing of the contract negotiations with North at the time".

I've been given the good oil by someone I trust. :thumbsu:

I'm not doubting your source C4, just anything that Caro writes. Has to be the worst senior footy journo out there, and by some margin as well.

I think Laidley would be for Carlton, give us more experience in the coaches box.

Todays Caroline Wilson article in the age states:

That was us - we're going to re offer him the role as Director of Coaching.

Initially (last year) during the large scale negotiations with North about his contract extension - he was on the cusp of signing with us.

Seems now that he is out of a job, our interest is still there.

Lock it in Eddie :thumbsu:

I would rather "phone a friend" C4 :p

I'm not doubting your source C4, just anything that Caro writes. Has to be the worst senior footy journo out there, and by some margin as well.

I think Laidley would be for Carlton, give us more experience in the coaches box.

As long as he is kept away from a microphone.

I hate it when he sucks in air when he speaks :eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very astute man. I think he alot to offer in football. Would be a major coup for the footy club.

Pardon my ignorance, what exact role does the director of coaching play?
Not being ignorant at all BG#4.

The role doesn't exist at any other club AFAIK, so it would be a new and innovative role.

My guess would be there would be a lot of work done during the week and pre-season in terms of tactics, maybe specifically for particular teams, and also maybe some briefings at the main breaks as to what is working ands what isn't.

The assistant coaches are focussed on their own areas and maybe don't see the bigger picture sometimes. I dare say it would be effectively another person looking through the eyes of a senior coach and putting the big picture together.

Not sure how it would work really, and how it would sit with Ratts, but I recall from last year that Ratts said Laidley was one of the best match day tactitions going around.......something like "he's the hardest to coach against on match day".

Maybe his role will be "senior tactition".:confused:

Would be a huge boost to get him on bord though. If anyone can find a way to get the best out of the players outside our best 10 it is Laidley.:thumbsu:

This is my first ever post but I have been lurking for a while, so here goes....

If you break down the job that a senior coach had about 10 years ago it would be something like
Recruitment
List Management
Man Management
Media Management
Training
Game Day Tactics

and you could probably go on.

Over the last while we have seen some seperation of these duties
List management/Recruitment moving to recruitment guys
Tactics and plays to assistant coaches

The problem is that the when the senior coach moves on there is no continuity,
A director of Football should sit above all of these day to day tasks and be in charge of the club from a 3 - 5 year view deciding on a game style and guiding the recruiting and development of young players all with that style in mind.

Laidley might not have been the best senior coach due to his day to day man management skills but tactically he is very astute so putting him in a strategic position would be a great thing.

Welcome Olrac.

Would it be like having a second head coach perhaps?

Both would be just as important as the other i would imagine.

The funny thing is that Laidley would probably get more money for doing this job at Carlton than what he was getting as head coach at the Roos...

Go for it boys... Laidley is a gun :thumbsu:

Lets face it - he managed to take Gold C.. err... the Kanga... err... North Melbourne to the finals consistently and against all expectation with:

a) a substandard list,
b) no facilities,
c) bugger all money,
d) abysmal supporter base, and
e) off field dramas galore.

Id support the club taking him on.

Would it be like having a second head coach perhaps?

I see a senior coach as being concerned with what is happening this week and until the end of the season

Director of football is more concerned with how we are going to do next year and beyond.

If anyone can find a way to get the best out of the players outside our best 10 it is Laidley.:thumbsu:

As long as Paul Roos in unavailable.

His strength (match-day strategy) seems to be our biggest weakness in the coaching box, so for mine it's a perfect fit; titles and allocation of responsibilities are just details.

I'd love to have him, he had a fairly average team way over achieving over the last few years, he's assertive and appears to have a near enough is not good enough attitude. He would bring a lot of new insight into the club coaching wise and freshen it up a bit. IMO we are still doing a few things wrong that the coaches haven't picked up on such as many player not using or knowing how to use their bodies and how we go about it in the center. I think he might shake things up a bit and be very good for us.

i think he will seek another senior coaching role first so dont expect him to sign with carlton for a while if ever

Too many cooks spoil the broth.

Ratten, Lappin, Harvey, Bradley, Williams, Laidley

Why don't we just recruit the AFLPA?

And maybe SOS as well & send Harvey back to the Rabble, straight swap :D

Too many cooks spoil the broth.

Ratten, Lappin, Harvey, Bradley, Williams, Laidley

Why don't we just recruit the AFLPA?

Jobs are per title:

Ratten - Senior Coach
Lappin - Assistant Coach (Forward Line)
Montgomery - Assistant Coach (Backline)
Riley - Assistant Coach (Midfield)
Harvey - Development Coach
Teague - Development Coach and Bullants Coach
Harris - Development & Academy Manager
Bradley - Part time skills coach
Williams - Part time skills acquisition coach
Brett Munro - Analyst Coach
Capuano - Part time Ruck Coach

I think a Game Day or just Tactician Coach would be great and will be needed in the future... We should set the trend... There is not many better than Laidley at this job

Go Blues

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Dean Laidley to Carlton as Director of Coaching

Remove this Banner Ad

Back