Rumour Dean Laidley to Carlton as Director of Coaching

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure I would go about building the brand the same way as you Jock, but I think you've got a pretty good starting idea.
I'm not sold on the idea of brining in Laidley.....it could create issues between him and Ratts, especially given that, at this stage, his role seems is not well defined...
How many coaches do we need?

What if we could only have one of Laidley or Ratts??

Who would people prefer as our coach? Seems to be alot of doubt over whether Ratten is the man to take this club to no 17.

What if we could only have one of Laidley or Ratts??

Who would people prefer as our coach? Seems to be alot of doubt over whether Ratten is the man to take this club to no 17.

Interesting question - rather than an answer, I'll add this - When Pagan was appointed, who was excited??? Who thought getting a 2 time Premiership coach was setting the Blues on the right track?? I KNOW I DID!!!
Yes Laidley's highly regarded - so was Pagan - but is he the right fit??

Trust me when I say Ratt's needs a hand.............I think we all understand and have witnessed Ratt's work ethic and committment to succeed over a long period of time.

This is the single biggest challenge he has ever faced and his love for the club and the contest means he is having to make sacrifices in his personal life, as you all know with a young family this can take a toll. The club are aware of this and are apparently doing their best to rectify and get the balance right...........don't be surprised to see either Laidley, Choco or another experienced type there next year as a mentor/consultant.

For the record it will not be done due to the club not beleiving in him, it is about him learning to manage his assistants/staff effectively, rather than trying to do everything himself.

Has anyone ever heard the term, "Operate on your business not in it", the balance between work and family can be difficult, but more and more employers are seeing the benefits in their organisation by helping to get this right.

Let's get real here - Laidley was sacked by North. All the PR fluff afterwards was pretty transparent. Funny how Clubs like Richmond and North go to great lengths to hide a coaches sacking because of fear of the media. Reeks of insecurity. At Carlton we just sack them, and get on with it. Director of coaching? Have no idea what that role means. Caro has a solid track record of fabricating most of her footy tabloid efforts so it has about 4% credibility. Laidley would be helpful as an advisor no doubt, but with the wealth of knowledge we already have in the coaching box we may make things a little too complex. With all the assistants we currently have, it must be hard to get a consensus on the best approach on gameday. Laidley would be a great coaching candidate for a Club next year, but there is a tendency to try new coaches now, who don't have any baggage. :)

Let's get real here - Laidley was sacked by North. All the PR fluff afterwards was pretty transparent. Funny how Clubs like Richmond and North go to great lengths to hide a coaches sacking because of fear of the media. Reeks of insecurity. At Carlton we just sack them, and get on with it. Director of coaching? Have no idea what that role means. Caro has a solid track record of fabricating most of her footy tabloid efforts so it has about 4% credibility. Laidley would be helpful as an advisor no doubt, but with the wealth of knowledge we already have in the coaching box we may make things a little too complex. With all the assistants we currently have, it must be hard to get a consensus on the best approach on gameday. Laidley would be a great coaching candidate for a Club next year, but there is a tendency to try new coaches now, who don't have any baggage. :)

you have point but laidley would help in game day situations like not putting
gibbs in the forward line v st.kilda and putting fev at ff like he should have done at against adelaide
he would help ratts with those positional decisions

Laidley would not try to back stab Ratten. If Carlton rise up the ladder with Laidley there it means he is virtually guaranteed another job as a senior coach at another club.

Laidley would be a great addition, but I think West Coast will throw the kitchen sink at him. If ever there was a club that needs fresh ideas it is that one. I mean Voss $500k pa to be an assistant?? :eek: Burns $400k pa to be an assistant?? :eek: Wouldn't be surprised if they offered him a Director of Football role on a salary not too far off what Worsfold is getting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually, you st bumped the wrong thread.

If you had bumped this one instead of it's belated, inferior imitation there would have been no need for this OP to bump this one too.

True BY what was I thinking ......... it was after 1.00am that I bumped the other thread.

At least I didn't start another new thread on Laidley ;)

Lock it in Eddie :thumbsu:
err.......you mean Swannie? :D

Laidley would be a MASSIVE bonus.

I think Ratts has very good people skills and relates well to the players, but his gameplan is still evolving.

Laidley has always been a very good tactician, but hasn't had the cattle.

Screw the Hawks.

Come to us Dean. :D

Jobs are per title:

Ratten - Senior Coach
Lappin - Assistant Coach (Forward Line)
Montgomery - Assistant Coach (Backline)
Riley - Assistant Coach (Midfield)
Harvey - Development Coach
Teague - Development Coach and Bullants Coach
Harris - Development & Academy Manager
Bradley - Part time skills coach
Williams - Part time skills acquisition coach
Brett Munro - Analyst Coach
Capuano - Part time Ruck Coach

I think a Game Day or just Tactician Coach would be great and will be needed in the future... We should set the trend... There is not many better than Laidley at this job

Go Blues
Where's he getting them from? Bunnings?

Could we use some help with forward scouting too....no doubt we do it, but go with Pratt's mantra and why not get one as experienced as Laidley......opposition analysis and game-day tactician :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Dean Laidley to Carlton as Director of Coaching

Remove this Banner Ad

Back