Play Nice Derailed, (The Place to Continue Off-Topic Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Can we have a minute before each game for domestic violence against women

Edit: There is a lot of things in this world where people have been hurt or have trauma from. We cant cater to them all. Its an interesting perspective that a minute of ones time isnt much , but at the same time people watch football to escape all kinds of trauma and things they deal with.

People want to be sensitive , but yet use the phrase "Orange Tsunami" Not thinking that Troy Broadbridges family dont watch football. Lets not all pretend to be bleeding hearts and turn an eye to another cause/event thats not deemed as relevant beacuase it isnt flavour of the month. Rainbow Washing for example another great one.

Its good to support a cause because you want to be seen to be caring, how about doing something about it.
Domestic violence against men as well. Quite often.
How about let football be about football.
If you want it to be about certain causes, well, we have many.
Sick of this shit.

Can we have a minute before each game for domestic violence against women

Edit: There is a lot of things in this world where people have been hurt or have trauma from. We cant cater to them all. Its an interesting perspective that a minute of ones time isnt much , but at the same time people watch football to escape all kinds of trauma and things they deal with.

People want to be sensitive , but yet use the phrase "Orange Tsunami" Not thinking that Troy Broadbridges family dont watch football. Lets not all pretend to be bleeding hearts and turn an eye to another cause/event thats not deemed as relevant beacuase it isnt flavour of the month. Rainbow Washing for example another great one.

Its good to support a cause because you want to be seen to be caring, how about doing something about it.

Welcome/acknowledgement to/of country isn't about trauma - it's acknowledging that it's traditional Aboriginal land that we're on. It's a statement of historical fact. Whether or not you choose to attach a broader cause to it or not is up to the audience. Reads like you've chosen to.

Welcome/acknowledgement to/of country isn't about trauma - it's acknowledging that it's traditional Aboriginal land that we're on. It's a statement of historical fact. Whether or not you choose to attach a broader cause to it or not is up to the audience. Reads like you've chosen to.

Posters are advising its about the hurt indigenous people have dealt with for years upon years. Just going on posters backing it and saying thats what its based on.

Do a welcome to country for all they like. However, change the invasion date. Get the indigenous people to decide on a date and make that a feature of every year from here on with a public holiday dedicated to it. Scrap australia day , as clearly no one is united in this country on any level. Its perplexing people complain about being segreated, but create something that promotes more segregation.

It's essentially tokenism done poorly. No different to the concept of a public holiday for invasion day/australia day. Both create segregation

I dont hate the concept , i think its poorly done and not done for the meaning it should be done for. $$$ speaks volumes

Posters are advising its about the hurt indigenous people have dealt with for years upon years. Just going on posters backing it and saying thats what its based on.

Do a welcome to country for all they like. However, change the invasion date. Get the indigenous people to decide on a date and make that a feature of every year from here on with a public holiday dedicated to it. Scrap australia day , as clearly no one is united in this country on any level. Its perplexing people complain about being segreated, but create something that promotes more segregation.

It's essentially tokenism done poorly. No different to the concept of a public holiday for invasion day/australia day. Both create segregation

I dont hate the concept , i think its poorly done and not done for the meaning it should be done for. $$$ speaks volumes
Of course it's tokenism. It's a ritual that we've decided to go with. All rituals are tokenism, from shaking hands to welcome to country to playing the national anthem to Australia Day regardless of the date.

I think it's significant to acknowledge that this never was terra nullus just as some still think it's important to say grace.

Differences of opinion aren't segregation. Nor is people having to sit through a minute of something they don't like. Who wants to live in a society where unity prevails and No one dysagrees.

Who wants segregation in Australian cities. The only actual segregation is exclusive use native title land, but personally I think it's a good thing that gives ancient cultures a chance that regenerate and survive.

Of course it's tokenism. It's a ritual that we've decided to go with. All rituals are tokenism, from shaking hands to welcome to country to playing the national anthem to Australia Day regardless of the date.

I think it's significant to acknowledge that this never was terra nullus just as some still think it's important to say grace.

Differences of opinion aren't segregation. Nor is people having to sit through a minute of something they don't like. Who wants to live in a society where unity prevails and No one dysagrees.

Who wants segregation in Australian cities. The only actual segregation is exclusive use native title land, but personally I think it's a good thing that gives ancient cultures a chance that regenerate and survive.
Spot on, it's only a minute of people's time. I've seen some shocking smoking ceremonies in Nimbin and had to sit through them. Just let it continue and if people don't like it, they can always just look at their phone or something

Failed attempt of what it should be , lets leave it at that. A start of a football match isnt the platform for it if it wants to be taken seriously

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spot on, it's only a minute of people's time. I've seen some shocking smoking ceremonies in Nimbin and had to sit through them. Just let it continue and if people don't like it, they can always just look at their phone or something
After the smoking ceremony you participated in at Nimbin, was everyone uncontrollably eating chocolate?

My uncle in law is a man of the cloth. At Xmas this year he'll say grace and invoke a heap of Catholic values. and then we'll consume obscene quantities and cost of food and wine. Rather than sitting there, I might boo him and tell him it's tokenistic rubbish that doesn't belong before a feast.

My uncle in law is a man of the cloth. At Xmas this year he'll say grace and invoke a heap of Catholic values. and then we'll consume obscene quantities and cost of food and wine. Rather than sitting there, I might boo him and tell him it's tokenistic rubbish that doesn't belong before a feast.
Sounds like my place during Hanukkah and Christmas. I have to endure both but I just want to eat the roast pork

Sorry - just saw this continuing discussion.
I don't understand the 'lie' thinking at all.
Seems clear the welcome to country is an incredibly gracious effort to find a better way forward. That it's considered divisive is just weak as piss, I reckon.

You guys need to open up a dictionary once in a while. A lie: used with reference to a situation involving deception or founded on a mistaken impression. It is 100% a mistaken impression it was made up by Ernie dingo and his studio as a once off ceremony for an event. It was never done before this to welcome anyone to land and is still not done in traditional aboriginal communities I attend. It is not traditional and nothing more then virtual signalling. It is divisive because it is them welcoming us that's the whole point of it. Pretty much the meaning of divisive aswell them and us what happened to being together and closing the gap??

Welcome to Country is delivered by Traditional Owners. True, it isn’t always an Elder, but for events like the Grand Final, it is.

It is not a lie. To say so, is racist.

Jeez you keep changing the story, now we are talking about the grand final. You have been proven wrong stop moving the goal posts. Since when was calling anything a lie suddenly a racist statement? And don't say it implies certain individuals because we have already covered that it doesn't. It is a fact about the act of welcome to country.

Last edited:
You guys need to open up a dictionary once in a while. A lie: used with reference to a situation involving deception or founded on a mistaken impression. It is 100% a mistaken impression it was made up by Ernie dingo and his studio as a once off ceremony for an event. It was never done before this to welcome anyone to land and is still not done in traditional aboriginal communities I attend. It is not traditional and nothing more then virtual signalling. It is divisive because it is them welcoming us that's the whole point of it. Pretty much the meaning of divisive aswell them and us what happened to being together and closing the gap??
There was over 200 different Aboriginal languages and thus over 200 different cultures. Acknowledgement of country is purely a modern tradition. Welcome to country is also a modern tradition that includes some ancient rituals that acknowledge ancient culture. They're not a lie. It's impossible to have rituals that are identical to the ancient rituals of all these different cultural groups, so we've gone with one modern tradition with hallmarks of the past.

There was over 200 different Aboriginal languages and thus over 200 different cultures. Acknowledgement of country is purely a modern tradition. Welcome to country is also a modern tradition that includes some ancient rituals that acknowledge ancient culture. They're not a lie. It's impossible to have rituals that are identical to the ancient rituals of all these different cultural groups, so we've gone with one modern tradition with hallmarks of the past.

Sooo in other words its a Mistaken impression: a faulty or incorrect impression. We are back to the definition of lie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice Derailed, (The Place to Continue Off-Topic Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back