Play Nice Derailed, (The Place to Continue Off-Topic Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Dave, if you start to see Welcome to Country as a way of uniting us and that it’s “our” ceremony, I think you’ll really enjoy and take great pride in it

So when the ceremony is on, it’s all of us, together, welcoming those who come here

Are the welcomers still going to welcome the welcomeis if the welcomeis don't feel like getting welcomed ?

It's a load of southern political shit. I have grown up in the Northern Territory all my life going to some of the most remote Aboriginal community meetings and have never once been greeted with a smoking gum leaf and elder giving a welcome and that's including when other tribes are present.

Are the welcomers still going to welcome the welcomeis if the welcomeis don't feel like getting welcomed ?

It's a load of southern political shit. I have grown up in the Northern Territory all my life going to some of the most remote Aboriginal community meetings and have never once been greeted with a smoking gum leaf and elder giving a welcome and that's including when other tribes are present.
Just, why?

Simply because its a lie and divides the people of this country.
You mean welcome to country, or smoking ceremonies?

I mean the welcome to country is a fairly modern day concept, if that's what you mean.

As far as smoking ceremonies, they've been round 'forever', and FWIW, I've experienced them in both WA & NT (about 40 years ago, in my case).

Last edited:

I suggest you have no idea what you are taking about. Not sure what communities you have been into but if you have not seen welcomes conducted through smoking or through water blessings then perhaps you are not welcome.

I suggest you have no idea what you are taking about. Not sure what communities you have been into but if you have not seen welcomes conducted through smoking or through water blessings then perhaps you are not welcome.
Hey there south, hope you don't mind if I tell a funny story. I'm a retired social worker and one of my good friends, who spent 10 years of his life in and out of prison, basically due to the colour of his skin, asked me if the company I worked for would consider a smoking ceremony once a week because we had a few indigenous clients. I said yeaulh, that's cool, the company would love it. Anyway, he was a bit out of practice and put too many gum leaves on his first attempt and literally smoked us all out of the back yard. We all had smoke inhalation that morning, lol. It was funny at the time and I said to him, your smoking needs a bit of work. He was much better the following week

I resent the fact that anyone who disagrees with what is currently fashionable is forbidden to say so. We are not allowed to think welcome to country is virtue signalling

You mean welcome to country, or smoking ceremonies?

I mean the welcome to country is a fairly modern day concept,
if that's what you mean.

As far as smoking ceremonies, they've been round 'forever', and FWIW, I've experienced them in both WA & NT (about 40 years ago, in my case).

Exactly what I mean why are we doing them? they are a divisive and a lie. Yes smoking ceremonies are traditional and have always been used but for different cultural reasons.

Hey there south, hope you don't mind if I tell a funny story. I'm a retired social worker and one of my good friends, who spent 10 years of his life in and out of prison, basically due to the colour of his skin, asked me if the company I worked for would consider a smoking ceremony once a week because we had a few indigenous clients. I said yeaulh, that's cool, the company would love it. Anyway, he was a bit out of practice and put too many gum leaves on his first attempt and literally smoked us all out of the back yard. We all had smoke inhalation that morning, lol. It was funny at the time and I said to him, your smoking needs a bit of work. He was much better the following week

Gold

Had a group once up in Wemba Wemba Country ask me to do a smoking in a semi enclosed area. They brought me this beautiful decorative plant combining gums and a pretty flowered plant. Looked beautiful. What they didn't realise is that they had brought me Oleander. Luckily, I know my plants as burning Oleander in an enclosed place or semi enclosed area probably would have killed everyone on the spot. Probably in the 5 most toxic plants on the planet.

Had a group once up in Wemba Wemba Country ask me to do a smoking in a semi enclosed area. They brought me this beautiful decorative plant combining gums and a pretty flowered plant. Looked beautiful. What they didn't realise is that they had brought me Oleander. Luckily, I know my plants as burning Oleander in an enclosed place or semi enclosed area probably would have killed everyone on the spot. Probably in the 5 most toxic plants on the planet.
Well, that's sorted my Christmas present for the mother-in-law.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your suggestion is wrong, the communities I go to are the most traditional aboriginal communities left untouched by media and political/social agendas. I am trusted by these communities as I do not bring in Alcohol and drugs while providing free services such as internet, home appliances, phones and basic necessities all payed for by the government. if I am not welcome why are you welcoming any strangers to the lands?

I have grown up in the Northern Territory all my life going to some of the most remote Aboriginal community meetings and have never once been greeted with a smoking gum leaf and elder giving a welcome and that's including when other tribes are present.
Is it possible because you have lived there most of your life and attended the community meetings, are seen as part of that community and there is no need to be greeted in that way?

If a statement on my profile of my pride in my identity, my connection to land and the respect to my Aboriginal culture is threatening to you and the four posters who liked your post then I am happy to go elsewhere and never post in the Collingwood forums again. All the best. Let's do better, hey.
I made a statement to the fact that footy should be the only agenda in this place. If you feel threatened by that then OK. But I'm not going elsewhere, because I don't feel threatened. As I said, you may be 100% correct, but here is not the place.
You can add further comment if you wish, but I'll just devote the rest of my time here to footy.

I made a statement to the fact that footy should be the only agenda in this place. If you feel threatened by that then OK. But I'm not going elsewhere, because I don't feel threatened. As I said, you may be 100% correct, but here is not the place.
You can add further comment if you wish, but I'll just devote the rest of my time here to footy.

Thats good for you but the fact you think Always was Always will Be is a political statement shows your lack of understanding.

Who are you to determine the agenda?

Exactly what I mean why are we doing them? they are a divisive and a lie. Yes smoking ceremonies are traditional and have always been used but for different cultural reasons.
Welcome to Country is an official way for traditional owners to welcome people to their country.

Calling it a lie is a racist thing to say.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice Derailed, (The Place to Continue Off-Topic Discussion)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back