missionpossible

Premiership Player
Nov 24, 2004
sheidow park
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
I must say when I first came on here there was some good open well thought out football discussions on bigfooty. Of late it feals to me that this has become more of a mates club which has lead this to become a boring thing to be involved with.

Before I leave this site I want to thank some people on here for making the site the way it should be.

Macca19 - you are a legend and I think your reports on games are top rate and beleive the local papers would be better served getting you to write the match reports. A big thankyou for those tapes.

Andre - I loved reading your views on football and I hope thing go great with Blake and your family.

Ford Fairlane - another who I enjoyed the company of on here.

Sandola and Portentous - great personalities who know how to lighten things up in the right way, also you both have good football brains.

there are others I should than but I can't think of your names and I am sorry for that.

Good luck for the future guys.

Re: Did I expect to much

Sorry to see you go mission, especially enjoyed your views on draft candidates. Maybe once the footy gets underway again, the footy discussion part will pick up and you'll come back aboard. Good luck with the scouting too.

missionpossible said:
I must say when I first came on here there was some good open well thought out football discussions on bigfooty. Of late it feals to me that this has become more of a mates club which has lead this to become a boring thing to be involved with.

I must confess to feeling the same way this off season too...But it is obvious that happens when there is not much to discuss. A lot of us on this board know no real posters and are only thinly connected by the topics discussed. Here's hoping like all others that once the footy is bounced next weekend the issues for discussion will become more focussed and dispense of this matesclub - real or imagined. Looking forward to your contribution again if you decide to return.

How can you discuss footy when there is no footy to discuss?

It's only natural that a community/rapport develops when the same people post on the same board for extended periods of time.

Some people have been posting on here for a few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We'll be sorry to see you go. Though like others say Bigfooty in the off-season tends to lead to threads that are either
1) Dwelling on the past (football wise)
2) Non-football threads go up significantly as a ratio of the whole
3) Analysing the coming season to the nth degree with not much new information to do so.
or
4) Trolls, trolls and more trolls. Again in the off-season they go up as a percentage by a fair degree.

Stop back by round 2 and the place will again look like a football discussion board ;)

Where did this mates club stuff come from? I'm sure I've read every thread here, must've missed it.

Porthos said:
Where did this mates club stuff come from? I'm sure I've read every thread here, must've missed it.

not only that, but some of the people M.I mentioned are matey on the boards to everyone anyways?

MI, AFAIAC you are a valuable member of this "community" as are all of us. No more than anyone else, no less than anyone else. Hopefully you’ll change your mind at some stage and join us again as your contributions are valued.

The matey attitude that you refer to does not really exist, although it might seem that way at times due to the outward familiarity that comes with posting with the same people year after year.
Familiarity and mateship are quite different though.

People having a go at player etc happens from time to time. Just put up with it, if it gets too bad, then the mods will step in.
We cannot curtail opinions no matter how much we disagree unless it is way over the top or treads dangerous grounds. The last thing most of us want is a yes board or a feel good at all cost board, that would not lead to healthy discussions and it would quickly become very boring.

Porthos said:

Some of us have become mates off the board Porthos. Maybe that is what MI was referring to. How did we become mates??? Simple, we have a weekly quiz night at the Port Club and we have got to know each other from there. Plus there are also meet ups organised at the games for Big Footy posters so we can put faces to names. As far as a mates club on the actual forum - I havent noticed it.

Plus this is the off season so there really isnt any footy to discuss.

I too cant see the mates club on here. Many people have met each other off the boards and have a friendship in real life. Others just have an online friendship that gets built up from posting with each other for 3-4-5 years.

I dont believe that any decisions that have been made here are due to any mates club.

If anyone wants in-depth footy posts day after day in the off season they are bound to be disappointed. Perhaps they could stay off the site between the trade/draft period and the NAB Cup? Or perhaps they could set up the hard core threads themselves?
As Macca19 and Troy Wingate point out on-line and off-line familiarities develop. The easiest way to break up any perceived 'mates club' is for more people to post their own ideas and replies. I can't see the value of continually viewing posts, rarely replying, and finally withdrawing altogether.

thing is, even if people are matey on and off the boards... on the boards those that can't or aren't matey.. just join in. You sometimes have to put yourself into it, and not step away because you are basically pushing yourself out of the mix.

I'm not 'matey' with people off here... I only take a step back when drama/personal attacks towards myself started to happen. But now that people have cooled off and stopped (at least i hope) I've come back. I talk to a few people from here on MSN.. thats about it, but I won't leave because of any matey/cliques happening- we're from Adelaide (most of us) and well..its a small town!

missionpossible said:

Before I leave this site I want to thank some people on here for making the site the way it should be.

Macca19 - you are a legend and I think your reports on games are top rate and beleive the local papers would be better served getting you to write the match reports. A big thankyou for those tapes.

Andre - I loved reading your views on football and I hope thing go great with Blake and your family.

Ford Fairlane - another who I enjoyed the company of on here.

Sandola and Portentous - great personalities who know how to lighten things up in the right way, also you both have good football brains.

there are others I should than but I can't think of your names and I am sorry for that.

Good luck for the future guys.

Stay in touch "mate" :p Hope to catch up again soon.

As for me, I concur wholeheartedly with the sentiments you posted. The response from one of the mods here re a post I reported just reinforces how downhill things have gone here.

Adios

Remove this Banner Ad

Did I expect too much

Remove this Banner Ad

Back