Do Geelong supporters cringe?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yay. Another thread about Geelong only winning becuase the umpires love them.
the amount of diving and staging that went on tonite from a few geelong players was laughable, they do it because 9 times out of 10 they get the free. Don't sit there and say the umpys have nothing to do with it. They got lucky tonite in the future things mite be different.

Re: Geelong - a month in the tackle...

As an outsider looking at the game tonight. Boy do geelong guys get a good run with the whistle. I havent seen so many players accidently have the ball jarred loose in tackles as tonight. The gary ablett free for holding was a joke , one the italian soccer team would be proud of and selwood continues to duck his head at every oportunity. Is there a rule that says you must have Geelong player commit two full revolutions before it is holding the ball. If i was a geelong supporter the last thing i would be complainig of would be umpires

Why wouldn't he be serious? Geelong lead at every change, and for all but 2 minutes of the match. Did you watch the game?

His comment has no relation to the point of the thread. Few people are saying the Bulldogs deserved to win the game. Most are taking issue with perceived umpiring favouritism and Cats players diving/staging.

His comment has no relation to the point of the thread. Few people are saying the Bulldogs deserved to win the game. Most are taking issue with perceived umpiring favouritism and Cats players diving/staging.

Anyone who sincerely believes that umpires "favor" a team is ten years old, delusionally one eyed, or suffering from paranoid schizophrenia. And by the way, thanks for reducing my teams achievements to nothing more than bad umpiring.

As far as I see it Geelong did not win the game, we lost the game by not kicking that last goal.
In terms of Geelong frees it was a blow out of 19 to 9, they really area a protected species.

However, happy to give them the 4 points because we know we can beat them now, and the players will be even more pissed and hungry and we will bet them when it really counts.

Chapman and Johnson play for frees; Ablett and Selwood dont. If you actually watched those two players at a game all the time the amount of illegal play that goes against them is close to murderous; a few easy frees here and there definetly make up for it. But yes, Johnson and Chapman do play for them a bit.

But I also dont care, because they are my team. I am sure if they werent my team I would care. Same with if Hawthorn were really good at it - the Hawks would now be defending their team to the death.

Speaking of ten years-old, that's about the level of your reading comprehension skills, apparently.

Point out where in this thread I said I agreed with what people were suggesting about the umpires.

My apology, i thought you were agreeing with the perceived umpiring "favoritism" toward Geelong. Which, of course, would be pretty absurd. Again, apologies if i have mis-interpreted you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My apology, i thought you were agreeing with the perceived umpiring "favoritism" toward Geelong. Which, of course, would be pretty absurd. Again, apologies if i have mis-interpreted you.
It's not a team that gets favoured, it's individuals. It just so happens your team has about 4 or 5 individuals that are favoured by the umps.

It's not a team that gets favoured, it's individuals. It just so happens your team has about 4 or 5 individuals that are favoured by the umps.

The Dogs have an excellent team who took it up to Geelong tonight. But to suggest that Geelong have 5 players who are "favoured" by the umpires is just sour grapes.

As far as I see it Geelong did not win the game, we lost the game by not kicking that last goal.
In terms of Geelong frees it was a blow out of 19 to 9, they really area a protected species.

However, happy to give them the 4 points because we know we can beat them now, and the players will be even more pissed and hungry and we will bet them when it really counts.
Daaaammmmnnnn.

Was talking about the umpire treatment and staging awhile ago.

It is so much worse because they really are a fantastic squad and this kinda thing just ruins otherwise great games.

A lot of these Geelong players throw themselves forward at the slightest opportunity, looking for high contact or in-the-back free kicks. It reminds me a lot of the Matthew Lloyd school of umpire manipulation, except the general play version as opposed to the marking contest version. Arms out, head down, look around for the umps decision while lying on the ground...It was good to see the umpires not get totally sucked in by these shenanigans.

However, seeing as they are making no attempt to dispose correctly, I think they should be pinned for holding the ball when they do this.

My favourite Geelong stage from tonight was Chapman deliberately taking the ball over the boundary line, but disguising it as an in-the-back free kick that he should have gotten. Talent is one thing, but it also takes hard work and dedication to truly master a craft.

Kudos to a team that takes every professional inch they can.:thumbsu:

(also kudos to the umps for not falling for their cheating, squibby tactics)

Chapman and Johnson play for frees; Ablett and Selwood dont.

Have a look back through the tape, and see how many times Ablett goes to ground with arms out, followed by a look over at the umpire. I only watched the last quarter and a bit, and I saw that three times. The same man that is impossible to tackle on account of being so strong through the hips, falling meekly to Earth like an inflatable Matthew Lloyd doll.

It is a pity the games best player dishonours himself looking for cheap kicks.

I understand your frustration, especially when you barrack for a team full of saw dust heads who give away obvious, idiotic free kicks constantly.

Blatant umpire manipulation?? Of course all you self righteous fans know more than the AFL and its umpires.

Embarrassing. :eek:

So you're going to resort to that kind of argument are you?

Geelong manipulate the umpires by playing in a way that makes slight contact look severe, and by creating head high contact when there is no need for it, by bending at the knees. (Or in Chapman's case lifting both legs off the ground and launching forward. Seriously - look at the guy, you'd need a ten tonne truck to move him yet he does this when he feels someone touch his back.)

Geelong players are tough, strong and courageous - anyone who says otherwise just has some kind of issue. It's their systematic, practiced skills in bending, falling, and forcing tackles to slip up around their head that is horrible to watch. They don't need to do it.

All you opposition supporters are just sore losers because Geelong pumps all your teams.

Thats now 51 from 54. Read it and weep.

We are Geelong the Greatest team of all...

Pity the greatest team of all can't win games which matter eh?

Chapman and Johnson play for frees; Ablett and Selwood dont. If you actually watched those two players at a game all the time the amount of illegal play that goes against them is close to murderous; a few easy frees here and there definetly make up for it. But yes, Johnson and Chapman do play for them a bit.

But I also dont care, because they are my team. I am sure if they werent my team I would care. Same with if Hawthorn were really good at it - the Hawks would now be defending their team to the death.

There's nothing more I hate than seeing a Hawthorn player stage for a free. Yes it happens, as it does with every side to a point, but Geelong clearly practice and rehearse it and 5 or so players are extremely good at it. This is why I support the contention of the OP: if Hawthorn did it I would cringe, Geelong players do it consistently therefore Geelong supporters would most likely cringe.

I can't believe that Geelong supporters can't see that it happens. We've seen a few in this thread admit it whilst others declare bias and tall poppy syndrome against them without having the objectivity to realise that their side does something that every single juniour coach would drag you off the field for.

I think it happens to other teams just as much as Geelong.

The things is though, when Geelong gets a free kick, they are far more likely to hurt you with it and score, so the opposition tend to notice it more.

How much better was the game in the 2nd half when the umpires LET THE F&**&^ GAME GO without blowing their whistles every 2 seconds? MUCH BETTER:thumbsu:

The thing I really don't like about Geelong is about how they have a cry to the umpire if they don't get a free and they think they deserve one or if they give away a free. The look of astonishment on their face just makes me laugh. They think they should get everything their own way, well most of the time they do.

2 words: Protected species

Remove this Banner Ad

Do Geelong supporters cringe?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back