Do MALTHOUSE and BUCKLEY think we're STUPID ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dont worry about reading from post #36, just read this:

Amid constant debate over what constitutes a fair bump, Malthouse said any contact above the shoulders should be strictly outlawed - front-on bumps included - and that the AFL should not mince penalties when dealing with offenders

You think?

Maybe.....but you expect a coach to be attempting to find a way to have his player available for the next game. I'd be pretty dirty if he came out and said that Rocca should get 6 weeks......wouldn't you?

Considering that it's INCONSISTENT with what he said last year regarding ANY head high contact, you can spin it any way you want to.

Seems to me that Mick has.

Thing is - he can't have it both ways. And that's exactly what he wants. :rolleyes:

Haven't read beyond post #36, but do those who have mentioned that article realise he has specifically mentioned head-on contact, as in front-on? Rocca came in from the side in an attempt to shepherd.

Pretty simple to tell the difference, even allowing for bias clouding some people's judgement.

There's no cloud over my judgment. It refers to the head.. noggin.. whatever you want to call. Whether it's a hit from the side, front or back. The head is to be protected at all times.

It's hard work keeping up with these hot posts..

now back to my half decaf soy mochacino and 'AFL for the dummies' book.

"I reckon if you have a head-on contact, in some of the instances we see, they're six to eight weeks to 12 weeks. Now they're starting to get it right, we dabble with one and two weeks," he said.

The actual quote, with no paraphrasing by the reporter. No mention of head-high contact that isn't front on.

If Barry Hall can get off for punching someone in the guts and getting a goal as a result than we are well within our rights to think his contact is nothing.

Swan supporters should stick to having NFI as it comes naturally. I guess they are just upset that they are our bitches.

Oh go bash a member of your cheersquad ;)

One thing I want explained: How does a legitimate, side-on bump suddenly become a front on hit that only makes contact with the head when the receiving player drops his head?

So many posts saying Dempster's "dropping the head" or "leaning into it", but again, how would that cause Rocca to entirely miss the body in a side-on bump and just contact the head?

Well obviously so. Maybe next time he should state that if it involves one of their 'star' players then it shouldn't apply.. and didn't this club also fine a couple of their 'fringe' players for a misdemeanor.. yet when Tazz or Didak got involved in a scuffle they only received a slap on the wrist..

Even MM admitted that he would've been silly to have sit them on the lines as it would've penalised the club too..

What's your point?

Mick doesn't make the rules and if what he says has any influence on what actually happens then it says more about the MRP and/or the tribuneral.
Mick is coach of Collingwood and his interest is that.
What his says in a newspaper column can be read and assessed and then taken on board or dimissed by whoever reads it.
If you decide he is a hyprocrite then that's your right.

Considering that it's INCONSISTENT with what he said last year regarding ANY head high contact, you can spin it any way you want to.

Seems to me that Mick has.

Thing is - he can't have it both ways. And that's exactly what he wants. :rolleyes:

Who says he can't.....he can say what he likes, when he likes. You can make the decision on whether you believe, take on board or make your life philosophy based on his writings.

Who says he can't.....he can say what he likes, when he likes. You can make the decision on whether you believe, take on board or make your life philosophy based on his writings.

He can say what he likes, but this type of shit makes him look like a fool rather than the wise sage of the game that he so craves everyone to view him as.

One thing I want explained: How does a legitimate, side-on bump suddenly become a front on hit that only makes contact with the head when the receiving player drops his head?

So many posts saying Dempster's "dropping the head" or "leaning into it", but again, how would that cause Rocca to entirely miss the body in a side-on bump and just contact the head?

Who said it only hit his head? From what I saw Rocca collected part shoulder & head after Dempster turned and leant forward to chase Didak. I don't think anyone's trying to shift the blame to Dempster just that his actions contributed to the head high contact. It was an accident....free kick that's it.
In a contact sport like ours there will always be accidental contact with the head. If you want to eradicate that happening then you will have to ban the bump completely

He can say what he likes, but this type of shit makes him look like a fool rather than the wise sage of the game that he so craves everyone to view him as.

Hey, if that's your belief then just take what he says with a grain of salt. There's plenty that believe the same with Sheedy as well.
I think it's once again the media that puts him up on that pedestal

Did Rocca intend to bump him in the head, or was he going for the side of the body and was just clumsy?

A front-on bump has only one part of the body to aim for. The intenion is to hit the bloke in the head. That's the difference, and why Malthouse's comments (specifically in regards to long suspensions for those who do it) weren't intended to be all-encompassing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hmmm after reading ALL posts on this topic its not hard to tell that once again people have ganged up on collingwood but its ok, im used to it

now listen up.............does anyone remember the incident of Daniel giansiracusa (spelling) on koschitski (spelling also). if you all try to remember, kosi was knocked out cold, got a small fracture in the base of his skull and subsequently spent weeks recovering and working his way back. im pretty sure giansiracusa didnt get rubbed out for that (im not 100% sure thought so dont flame me)

now, kosi had no idea he was there and he was running almost full pace. these are both very similar incidents. though if u look at both videos, rocca keeps both feet planted on the ground and doesnt raise his elbow at all. giansiracusa on the other hand, while not raising his elbow either, charges into kosi at full pace while launching himself off the ground the moment before impact. im not having a go at giansiracusa because i rate him highly as a player BUT he received NO WHERE NEAR the same amount of criticism for an incident that was, quite frankly, much worse. i know i said this earlier but it seems that you lot are ganging up on him because SYDNET LOST and because rocca plays for the black and white, its double standards and you all know it.

so how about you all grow up and stop acting like the people we campaign against, such as those who are slowly eliminating the physical aspect from our beloved game

and a side note to all those idiots that say "end of thread" or something dumb like that at the end of their post, IT IS NEVER THE END OF THE THREAD BECAUSE YOU HAVE STATED YOUR OPINION!!!, beacuse it is almost always completely wrong and pointless anyway

Little to no difference between the Hille on Cornes incident and Rocca on Dempster. Both were caught not watching and both were head high contact. If anything Cornes fell into the bump more than Dempster, big anthony should be looking at 2 if they challenge and if he gets off its an utter disgrace

See that's rubbish and you know it but they keep dragging it up. Hille had his elbow sticking out and his elbow caught him to the side of the head. Rocca had elbow arm everything tucked in and executed a text book shephard. Bad luck the kid wasn't watching where he was going.
If you chase someone and are within 5 metres then you should expect at any stage you may be cleaned up. If any of you want to argue about this then I will assume that you have never played the game. I have played for many years at senior level and you need to have awareness of what is going on around you and the decisions you make.

hmmm after reading ALL posts on this topic its not hard to tell that once again people have ganged up on collingwood but its ok, im used to it

now listen up.............does anyone remember the incident of Daniel giansiracusa (spelling) on koschitski (spelling also). if you all try to remember, kosi was knocked out cold, got a small fracture in the base of his skull and subsequently spent weeks recovering and working his way back. im pretty sure giansiracusa didnt get rubbed out for that (im not 100% sure thought so dont flame me)

now, kosi had no idea he was there and he was running almost full pace. these are both very similar incidents. though if u look at both videos, rocca keeps both feet planted on the ground and doesnt raise his elbow at all. giansiracusa on the other hand, while not raising his elbow either, charges into kosi at full pace while launching himself off the ground the moment before impact. im not having a go at giansiracusa because i rate him highly as a player BUT he received NO WHERE NEAR the same amount of criticism for an incident that was, quite frankly, much worse. i know i said this earlier but it seems that you lot are ganging up on him because SYDNET LOST and because rocca plays for the black and white, its double standards and you all know it.

so how about you all grow up and stop acting like the people we campaign against, such as those who are slowly eliminating the physical aspect from our beloved game

and a side note to all those idiots that say "end of thread" or something dumb like that at the end of their post, IT IS NEVER THE END OF THE THREAD BECAUSE YOU HAVE STATED YOUR OPINION!!!, beacuse it is almost always completely wrong and pointless anyway

Gia was not rubbed out last year, he was not even citied, BUT the AFL clearly said that with the change in the rules this year to protect the head, that he would be reported under the new rules.

So do you get it now.

Gia would have been reported, just like Rocca has been.

END OF THREAD

Who said it only hit his head? From what I saw Rocca collected part shoulder & head after Dempster turned and leant forward to chase Didak. I don't think anyone's trying to shift the blame to Dempster just that his actions contributed to the head high contact. It was an accident....free kick that's it.
In a contact sport like ours there will always be accidental contact with the head. If you want to eradicate that happening then you will have to ban the bump completely
A very small amount. I find it hard to believe that a small drop of the head changed the focus of the bump from the middle of the body to the head will negligible body contact.

You're correct.

It's a total misnoma that it was unavoidable because Dempster leant into it.

Rocca contacted his head ... he did not contact his head first and then the body.

If he intended to contact the body, but missed, then it's negligent given that he initiated the contact in the first place.

Seeing as the MRP graded it as negligent, he's got little to base a defence on IMO.

Rocca will get off as I have a source that tells me the umpire will say that he doesn't think it's reportable. When that has happened in the past, the player gets off.

Gia was not rubbed out last year, he was not even citied, BUT the AFL clearly said that with the change in the rules this year to protect the head, that he would be reported under the new rules.

So do you get it now.

Gia would have been reported, just like Rocca has been.

END OF THREAD

yeh i understand that there was a change in rules and so on etc but dont go on being a ******** and saying END OF THREAD. Your clearly a toolbag being a smartarse, just leave it!

I dont believe Rocca should get suspended because IMO that was the only way he could have put a shepard (maybs i wrong) and that contact is part of our game. Dempster was ok and played on i have heard and it was him you put his head down, by saying that i am not saying its his fault i just believe it was a incident that happened in our CONTACT game and the verdict should been play on or at most a free kick given.

The shepard is under review today, if Rocca's suspended, it's the end of footy as we know it....

For shame on all of you that thinks that is worth 2 weeks! I bet all of you that are againist Rocca thinks Eagleton should be cleared!

look, i agree that the game's getting over sanitised. unfortunately the rules are there.

do any collingwood supporters think the penalty should stand? if not its interesting that the "shepard" (shepherd) is being talked about when like sheep im hearing a lot of BAAAAAAAAAA

Remove this Banner Ad

Do MALTHOUSE and BUCKLEY think we're STUPID ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back