Do Richmond deserve to be in the AFL - A discussion on the merit of relegation zones

Remove this Banner Ad

this thread should be moved to bay 13 or shut down, its purely ridiculous to be even talking about such a subject when there is 0 chance of it ever happening..

tigers.jpg

The young Fremantle fan, drunk on the success of his team in the Western Derby and 8 pints of Strongbow consumed at the Queens/Paddo/Balmoral, stumbles home and fires up his computer.

Feeling arrogant about his team's recent success (and ignoring their long term past), he decides to pick on the team that is currently languishing in bottom place.

Hence this ridculous thread.

They are deplorable and yes I realise we the Fremantle football club havent been a shining light ourselves but this club the Richmond football club have been a stain on the competition for the better part of 30 years.

Is this something the AFL should consider, a relagation zone for clubs who continue to flounder, promote a side from the SANFL, WAFL or VFL via a national carnival?

If the AFL had introduced a promotion/relegation system 15 years ago,
then you blokes would be currently soaring into the upper echelons of
Division 3.

The young Fremantle fan, drunk on the success of his team in the Western Derby and 8 pints of Strongbow consumed at the Queens/Paddo/Balmoral, stumbles home and fires up his computer.

Feeling arrogant about his team's recent success (and ignoring their long term past), he decides to pick on the team that is currently languishing in bottom place.

thread is not ridiculous, Richmond have been pathetic for 20 years, they do nothing for the development of their young players (see Rodan etc) and they do nothing for the comp other than than effectively give every club at tleast 1 bye a season. They dont deserve to play in Australia's top footy comp imo.

Interesting considering I started this thread before the Derby, a good two hours befor the derby.

Muppet.

Hardly arrogant, just mystified at how a professional body such as the AFL can continue to tolerate such a rabble, and there appears to be no mechanism capapble of reversing the trend.

Maybe it's the dollars.

They should relocate to Tasmania, Tassie Tigers. I genuinely feel sorry/embaresed for the whole club.

Seriously, will they win a game in 2010?

For the record I'm honestly not on a wind-up

There will always be a team not performing well every season and get the regular shellacking. In fact name a season where the bottom team didnt get beaten by over 80 points throughout the year.

Richmond are the team this year but they will bounce back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond will come good oneday. same could said for Melbourne they been rabble for years. Fremantle has never won anything in their history. They could be classed as rabble. I think most AFL clubs have gone thru slumps but they always come good. Richmond needs to look at their recruitment department that would be the problem. If they recuited well then they wouldn't be in this situation.

For the record we were only crap in 2007,08 and 09 when we were re building.
we made the finals in 2004, 05 and 06.

Now, let's be serious here this mob is a rabble. Have been for some time and dont look like turning the corner any time soon.

No doubt there will be some who will howl about the history of the game in Victoria, but tough shit, it's a national code, it's meant to be about the best 16 sides in the land.

Richmond are no where near it.
Idiot! You've been in the comp 5 minutes and 4.5 of those minutes as cellar dwellers, so it's a bit rich to start bagging Richmond?

thread is not ridiculous, Richmond have been pathetic for 20 years, they do nothing for the development of their young players (see Rodan etc) and they do nothing for the comp other than than effectively give every club at tleast 1 bye a season. They dont deserve to play in Australia's top footy comp imo.

Thread is reactionary shit by a troll. I shouldn't have even bothered replying.

As for you, stop acting like we've won the spoon for the last 20 years. We've finished 9th at least half that time.;)

OP is an idiot.

All teams eventually hit the bottom. One of the graet things about our competition is watching teams that have struggled come back and have some success. I only have to look at my Saints for an obvious example.

Richmond look like they will have a bit more time than most at the bottom (Terry Wallace has a lot to answer for) but no doubt at all that sometime in the next 5 years they will again be challenging for finals.

It's Pav4AA. He's always like this.

They have it in the EPL don't they ?

Those clubs would get rid of relegation tomorrow if they could.

But lets think it through, richmond gets relegated but their players have afl level contracts but the club is deprived of the income to pay them.

do all those players move to the club which comes in ? and they are just as uncompetitive ?

All you have acheived is a change of jumper and training ground

They don't just have it in the EPL; it's huge hierarchical structure of leagues across the country - with automatic promotion and relegation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_football_league_system#The_system

You can start a team in the Mid-Sussex Football League Division Ten and by merit you could rise to the EPL and Chempions League Football.

This wouldn't suit AFL as it is not run as a fair and equitable sporting competition, it is run as a profit oriented monopoly.

Relegation simply can't work in this country. We don't have enough top-class footballers to go around. Elevate the winner of a carnival or the SANFL or whatever and you'll end up with a team that simply can't compete against established AFL sides. Can you imagine the kind of flogging that Geelong, St Kilda or Collingwood would levy on a team comprised of journeymen and perennial suburban triers? Records would be dropping willy nilly.

It works for soccer because 1) the sport is totally dominant in most countries where it is popular and 2) There are millions of athletes to choose from, so that a team can build a competitive squad upon elevation. It just isn't practical in Australian circumstances.

So this elevated side doensnt have access to salary cap, the draft?

Presently, there is no mechanism to deter side which continually under perform.

Sides can flounder for as long as luck without fear of punishment, I dont think this is the case for Richmond, personally I think they are run by a bunch of incompetent muppets and the stench of failure has permeated into every player and official.

Remove this Banner Ad

Do Richmond deserve to be in the AFL - A discussion on the merit of relegation zones

Remove this Banner Ad

Back