Do the AFL club presidents really know what they are on about regarding Waverley Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 6, 2001
Australia
I find it quite amusing to read what the AFL presidents are saying about Waverley Park,
Its appears to me that all they want is the money, coming out with crap like

"most of the AFL clubs are cash strapped"

Ever thought that maybe the players and club
officals are being paid to much

" Oh and country clubs are suffering becuase there are no funds for them and less people are playing"

Oh really I thought it was because people can't see games anymore so they find other sports which they are able to see which don't cost an arm and a leg

"The ground is an eyesore, full of drug users and kids with things in there mouths"
(Wanye the Jackoff jackson's comments)

Well who's fault is that!

"People don't want to go to Waverley"

What aload of crap how many people attended the last game at Waverley?

"The seating and car parks are terrible"

Well thats funny because it usually takes at least 30-45 minutes to get out of the MCG unlike the 15-20 minutes it takes to get out of Waverley and the seating is terrible at least the bloody things don't fold up on you everytime you stand up, at least your not crammed into a tiny plastic heap of crap.

ALL OF YOU BASTARDS ARE FORGETTING ONE THING
you want members you want people's money and yet you don't want to provide a stadium for the people to see the game.

WELL heck YOU
how many clubs have had fund raising drives to save the clubs,how many times have supporters been told to dig deep and put there money in the club, yet once the club is above water again the club forgets all about its supporters, and goes behind there backs like st.kilda not even letting there members vote on weather the Saints should of stayed at Waverley.

Well as far as Im concerned North Melb can go to hell, I hope they fold, I used to be a passionate Bulldog member but they also have shit on there supporters,
so until these bastard Presidents realise that the Supporters are just as important as the Players and the Game I will never spend another cent on them again,
and I think its about time other people realised this, Its easy for a club to say "your not a real supporter unless you buy a membership"
HA were not all rich you scumbags

------------------
Sir Kennith luke would be spinning around in his grave if he knew what was happening to waverley park

I agree with you totally Greg, they have replaced a ground with a 77,000 capacity with one with a 52,000 capacity and they never even fill that amount at Colonial. And I still dont agree that there was only 72,000 at Waverley's last game, it was packed to the rafters. There would have to have been 80,000 there.

------------------
Go Harf, Go Smithy, Go Dutchy, Go Hawks! http://robshawks.virtualave.net

Well we had the Bomber President sayin this a serious demand for cash - right now' about the game.

He has enuff money!

Mags

------------------
Independent Magpies
http://collingwood.rivals.net
By The Fans For The Fans

I'd love to see Waverley host another AFL game one day, but you have to realise that it will only happen when hell freezes over.
We have a ground worth 80 million dollars just sitting there (that money is really needed) and judging by the channel 7 pictures I saw last night the ground is an absolute wreck that would require even more money to fix up.

I went to Colonial for the first time last night. Only then did I truly discover all the things that are wrong with it.

The fact that it seats 52,000 isn't so bad. The problem is that half of them don't even get used because they aren't available. They just sit there empty. I couldn't believe how many empty seats I saw in prime viewing positions. All the plebs are stuck in the nosebleeds. Level 2 was for the most part completely abandoned.

The views are not good. From my seat in one of the back pockets, you had to literally stand up to see the boundary line below on the near side of the oval.

The playing surface is the worst I have ever seen, anywhere in the world.

I do like it's location and it's views of the city from inside, and it's a rather asthetically pleasing building from the outside. But in the grand scheme of things, that's really not that important.

I don't mind that Colonial was built, but I think it was built completely wrong. Colonial and Waverley should almost switch locations.

Stealth which level were you on, I was on level 2 when I went last year & I thought the viewing was excellent. I was going to get a ticket for level 1 this year, but if that is where you were sitting I will stick to level 2.
Ground surface is ordinary I agree, but it is a good ground for smokers, as you don't have to leave the ground to have a ciggy, just go to one of the bars, which gives you enough time to have a ciggy without missing any of the game.

------------------
RED & BLACK, THE COLOURS OF FENG SHUI

Greglowersocialclass,

Where exactly did North Mebourne fit into your tortured argument of Waverley Park?

Michele

NMFC 1869

I was on the very bottom of level 4...I decided to get the $25 seats just to see how much better they were. What would I have gotten for $30.75? Level 2 access?

We were positioned somewhat near the back right pocket....one of the video screens was just back and to our left. I think it was the north end. There's a bit of an overhang which basically blocked the boundary line and a couple metres in front of it.

Ok I think a few people might of missed the point here,
In reply to Were North Melbourne fit in,
I was only stating that because there President also wants Waverley Park sold off,

Secondly My Main point with Waverley Park is.
It is the only stadium in the Eastern Surburbs,
there is a massive Population out this way and why should we all have to travel into the city to watch the game,
Thats my main point,
The ground may look a bit crappy from the out side which could easily be fixed up with a descent paint job, more tree's,
In the end why do people really go to the football for, its to see the game, and it doesn't matter what the ground looks like its the purpose it serves,

Compared to the MCG,Optus and Colon stadium ,
Waverley park is the easiest to get to, and get out of, you can sit just about anywhere you want and your not crapped into a tiny little plastic seat,
As far as the playing surface it was the best in the league, Im not sure about the changing rooms but on tv the looked pretty good,
I just can not see the logic in taking away a stadium that makes money and provides people in the East with a place to see the footy.
and After all isn;t that what its all about,
getting more people to the footy,
Why can't people see this,
Thats my whole point on Waverley,

------------------
Sir Kennith luke would be spinning around in his grave if he knew what was happening to waverley park

Compared to the MCG,Optus and Colon stadium ,
Waverley park is the easiest to get to

Sorry Dont Agree There!

I live in the outer eastern suburbs and I find it really hard to get out there too.

It is way easier too get to the G and Colonial where the train stops basicly right out the front of it.

And Even Optus Oval is easier too get with just getting a tram from Flinders St.

Waverley I use to have to get a bus from Nunawading and it was a pain in the arse.

Im not knockin Waverley but it wasnt the easiest joint too get too.

Mags

Waverley Park the easiest ground to get to??

biggrin.gif

I needed a bit of comic relief after our loss today.

I realise there is a large population of people in the South-East. Yet there are also a considerable amount of people in the North and West of Melbourne.

Getting to the ground was an absolute nightmare. On the few occassions where I had to catch public transport, I didn't get home until after 8pm. Any other ground and I would be home by 6. The PT system was virtually non-existent. Getting out of the car park was an absolute nightmare. We have always found the MCG to be quicker, even though they close off some areas until 20 minutes after the game. Colonial Stadium is situated perfectly for PT users. Whether supporters live in Waverley or Werribee, there is no difficulty getting to the game. To have a ground that is not accessible to such a large amount of Melbournians is simply not good enough.

As for St Kilda not giving their members an opportunity to vote, I agree that it would have been good to have a say. Yet I suppose that is precisely why we have a democratically elected board of directors - to make decisions on behalf of the members.

I have got the feeling that people view St Kilda as selling out to the AFL while Hawthorn fought for the people. That makes me very angry. Hawthorn, knowing full well that they had basically no chance to save the ground, fought a campaign to retain the ground and in so doing had a huge increase in memberships and support. On the other hand, the saints realised that when the AFL say they are not going to schedule games at the ground, that is the final decision. Therefore in the interest of our supporters, we evaluated the two alternatives and selected that ground as the teams new home ground. This costed us many members and combined with our disasterous 2000 season, saw many supporters become quite disenchanted. I'm far from being a 'yes' person and always supporting the club in their decisions, but in this instance we were honest and upfront with the supporters. Hawthorn fought the so-called good fight and won adulation through the media and in converting many of their wealthy supporter base into members. Good on Hawthorn. I just think we were dealt the rough end of the stick on this issue.

------------------
Fortius Quo Fidelius

Remove this Banner Ad

Do the AFL club presidents really know what they are on about regarding Waverley Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Back