Do we have the worst under 25 in the Comp?

Remove this Banner Ad

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Our list of players under 25:

Carmichael - Retired
Richards - He's had a decent year, turning 25
Murphy - Retired
Quaynor - Having a terrible season
Mcreery - Was about to be dropped before his injury
Dean - Might be okay with more preseasons
Macrae - Will be delisted
Parker - Not sure
Begg - Delisted
Eyre - Not sure, hasn't started well in the VFL, injury prone.
Mcinnes - Not trusted by the coaches, struggles to have an impact. Could still make it

Nick Daicos - Gifted F/S. GOAT

Ned Long - Potential delisting
Ryan potential delisting
Steene - Too early to say
Harrison - Had a few good games and a few poor ones

Allan/Jiath/Demattia/Smit too early to say

Basically, get ready for a big rebuild lads.

Probably but it’s hard to knock them because a lot of it has been the problems of the previous regimes really.
The fact that the new regime that arrived in 22 has managed to patch up a list with little draft capital, salary cap busted and a loo sided age profile to not bottom out and make a prelim and then salute the year after was genius.

We made some shrewd moves with guys like Bobby Hill and Lipinski
McStay has been unlucky but I think will be good over the course of it.
Mitchell already delivered irrespective of what happens from here.

However, we do need to trust our next crop more.
We don’t know how good some of them can be at the level because we don’t expose them long enough consistently.

But on paper, outside of Naicos, Mccreery, Bobby Hill(I think he is under 25) and IQ we don’t have much screaming off the paper

Last edited:
Yes. But that's the gamble we made when we went for the flag in 2023. We knew the list was old when Fly took over and the choice was immediate rebuild or pick up some ready made pieces for a flag tilt.

It worked, but now we're two years behind on any potential list overhaul. Our list is not in good enough shape to pick up a couple of free agents and hope for another flag tilt.

We really should be looking to overhaul our list management team, including Hine. We need fresh ideas and a different approach than in the past.

I had a look at the hawthorn list today... They've done a great job of drafting and a pretty astute job of trading. We've done some pretty good trades and a few good draft picks at the lower levels but have a look at 2020 draft as an example.

finn - reef - liam mcmahon - caleb poulter all within the top 31....and errol gulden at 32.

we're spending too much of our drafting resources on trading for players, because we're not getting them in the draft....

I had a look at the hawthorn list today... They've done a great job of drafting and a pretty astute job of trading. We've done some pretty good trades and a few good draft picks at the lower levels but have a look at 2020 draft as an example.

finn - reef - liam mcmahon - caleb poulter all within the top 31....and errol gulden at 32.

we're spending too much of our drafting resources on trading for players, because we're not getting them in the draft....
Gulden is an academy player mate. Hence why the swans continue to remain relevant

Gulden is an academy player mate. Hence why the swans continue to remain relevant

ok i just saw him after mcmahon. I didnt intend to list him but chucked him in..but that doesnt excuse the ones that we picked. We should have got two players at least who should be regulars in the team. I'm not going to bash Hine but he's pretty average. I dont spend a lot of time on other teams but i've looked at freo and the western bulldogs and they seem to do a better job.

And the worst part of it is now we dont even have picks for this year.

Our list of players under 25:

Carmichael - Retired
Richards - He's had a decent year, turning 25
Murphy - Retired
Quaynor - Having a terrible season
Mcreery - Was about to be dropped before his injury
Dean - Might be okay with more preseasons
Macrae - Will be delisted
Parker - Not sure
Begg - Delisted
Eyre - Not sure, hasn't started well in the VFL, injury prone.
Mcinnes - Not trusted by the coaches, struggles to have an impact. Could still make it

Nick Daicos - Gifted F/S. GOAT

Ned Long - Potential delisting
Ryan potential delisting
Steene - Too early to say
Harrison - Had a few good games and a few poor ones

Allan/Jiath/Demattia/Smit too early to say

Basically, get ready for a big rebuild lads.

Missing a couple …

• Bytel (not looking good so far)
  • Bobby Hill - X factor forward who is a bit hot and cold at the moment

I think you’re being harsh on Harrison, young players are always inconsistent, and so far he’s shown as much poise and promise as any 15 game player.

Quaynor isn’t in the best of form, but he’s still a decent u25 player.

But agree with your point about needing a big rebuild.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ok i just saw him after mcmahon. I didnt intend to list him but chucked him in..but that doesnt excuse the ones that we picked. We should have got two players at least who should be regulars in the team. I'm not going to bash Hine but he's pretty average. I dont spend a lot of time on other teams but i've looked at freo and the western bulldogs and they seem to do a better job.

And the worst part of it is now we dont even have picks for this year.
2020 was a terrible draft. Not many players have been a success that I’m aware of.

If you want to feel better, look at the bombers 2020 draft

The answer is yes.

and that is with the best under 22 player in the comp.

Quaynor and McCreery are best 22.

I think Wil Parker, Reef McInness, Harvey Harrison, Charlie Dean and Tew Jiath are worth giving games to.
Steene and Smith are both projects. We need Condon.

Joe Richards is trade bait or a keeper. Kreuger worth another year.

Eyre, Allan and DeMattia need time.

Long needs to play as a perm mid in a few games. I'd put Bytel on last chance salloon as well

Farewell to Macrae, Begg, Murphy, Carmichael

Injuries and luck we can still win in 2025

Missing a couple …

• Bytel (not looking good so far)
  • Bobby Hill - X factor forward who is a bit hot and cold at the moment

I think you’re being harsh on Harrison, young players are always inconsistent, and so far he’s shown as much poise and promise as any 15 game player.

Quaynor isn’t in the best of form, but he’s still a decent u25 player.

But agree with your point about needing a big rebuild.

Harrison has had quite a few disappointing games, he's looked good in a handful

Harrison has had quite a few disappointing games, he's looked good in a handful

Be that as it may, I’d happily take a handful of good games out of 15 for any youngster.

Our recent recruiting has set us back years.

No hits on first rounders, nothing but VFL top ups and delisting candidates in the second rounds. No surprise packets in late rounds that excite the fans. Dematia looks like a bust already, and we don't have a 1st this year.

Aside from Nick we have no one in form, no one to drive us forward, and no one coming through in the future.

Unless someone weaves some absolute magic, we could be looking at a very mediocre next 5 years

Naicos, IQ, Hill, McCreery & Richards as best 23
There's hope with
Harrison
Allan
Demattia
Will Parker
Jiath
Smit
Steene
Reef - play him midfield FFS.
But genuinely worried about our shallow pool of young talent on our list, yeah probably the worst is a fair call currently.

Yes. But that's the gamble we made when we went for the flag in 2023. We knew the list was old when Fly took over and the choice was immediate rebuild or pick up some ready made pieces for a flag tilt.

It worked, but now we're two years behind on any potential list overhaul. Our list is not in good enough shape to pick up a couple of free agents and hope for another flag tilt.

We really should be looking to overhaul our list management team, including Hine. We need fresh ideas and a different approach than in the past.
True and can't fault it and we won.
But doubled down in the off season which has spectacularly back fired.
1 more go 24 than in all sorts

Naicos, IQ, Hill, McCreery & Richards as best 23
There's hope with
Harrison
Allan
Demattia
Will Parker
Jiath
Smit
Steene
Reef - play him midfield FFS.
But genuinely worried about our shallow pool of young talent on our list, yeah probably the worst is a fair call currently.
The young pool has to play. They haven't

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we have the worst under 25 in the Comp?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back