Do we have the worst under 25 in the Comp?

Remove this Banner Ad

Among the under 25 brigade:

Good:
  • Nick Daicos
  • Beau McCreery
  • Bobby Hill
  • Isaac Quaynor
Potential:
  • Joe Richards
  • Charlie Dean
  • Reef McInnes
  • Harvey Harrison
Hopeful (too early to determine):
  • Harry DeMattia
  • Tew Jiath
  • Ed Allan

I don't think it's a catastrophe, but it is a shallow pool of talent we have. We need to go back to the draft and find some good young talent to build around Nick for the next generation.

Naicos, IQ, Hill, McCreery & Richards as best 23
There's hope with
Harrison
Allan
Demattia
Will Parker
Jiath
Smit
Steene
Reef - play him midfield FFS.
But genuinely worried about our shallow pool of young talent on our list, yeah probably the worst is a fair call currently.

Mcreery Richards and IQ are just role players right now. Mcreery is borderline best 23, him or Harrison.

Hill is having a very mediocre season

2020 was a terrible draft. Not many players have been a success that I’m aware of.

If you want to feel better, look at the bombers 2020 draft

choosing to compare with essendon is a depressing thought...

interesting that we ended up with so many picks that year...just a happy coincidence

Among the under 25 brigade:

Good:
  • Nick Daicos
  • Beau McCreery
  • Bobby Hill
  • Isaac Quaynor
Potential:
  • Joe Richards
  • Charlie Dean
  • Reef McInnes
  • Harvey Harrison
Hopeful (too early to determine):
  • Harry DeMattia
  • Tew Jiath
  • Ed Allan

I don't think it's a catastrophe, but it is a shallow pool of talent we have. We need to go back to the draft and find some good young talent to build around Nick for the next generation.

I think you're being generous with Mcreery. He's 23 now and, outside of a few flashes early in the year, was really disappointing in most of his games this year. Very fumbly, getting caught with the ball and just looking lost on the field.

Last edited:
Our list of players under 25:

Carmichael - Retired
Richards - He's had a decent year, turning 25
Murphy - Retired
Quaynor - Having a terrible season
Mcreery - Was about to be dropped before his injury
Dean - Might be okay with more preseasons
Macrae - Will be delisted
Parker - Not sure
Begg - Delisted
Eyre - Not sure, hasn't started well in the VFL, injury prone.
Mcinnes - Not trusted by the coaches, struggles to have an impact. Could still make it

Nick Daicos - Gifted F/S. GOAT

Ned Long - Potential delisting
Ryan potential delisting
Steene - Too early to say
Harrison - Had a few good games and a few poor ones

Allan/Jiath/Demattia/Smit too early to say

Basically, get ready for a big rebuild lads.
Hard to argue 👍
Next question; do we have the worst player development team?
Our VFL team can’t even beat stand-alones (consisting of Uni students, apprentice plasterers and fork lift drivers).
Start at the foundations.
Overhaul the recruitment team and get rid of Josh Fraser.

With virtually no hope of playing finals, yep we need to expose more of our youngsters to senior footy in the remaining games.
At the risk of a broken record we needed to reshape the side earlier but que serra it will have to happen next year.
I'm genuinely curious what happens from here.
If we trade a 2nd rounder we are out of the draft. So who are we putting up for trade with currency?
Our better performed 30+ are pendles and whe. They and side b are the only ones ooc. Who goes? Who stays?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll answer this question with a couple of questions.

We knew that aiming for a flag meant that the average age of the playing group would be high. We kept Sidey, Pendles, & Howe on the list and they helped deliver the ultimate.

Was it unreasonable to keep the same group together and to trade draft picks for another crack at it in '24?

If other clubs in the comp had the same opportunity Collingwood did to go B2B, would they do anything differently or would they have gone down the elite youth path?

We can't be questioning the club's list management strategy without considering the above.

In short, stop the fkng whinging.

Last edited:
I disagree. We have some exciting talent. I think Jiath, DeMattia, Eyre, Smit, Steene, Allan in particular can be good senior players in the coming 12 to 24 months. Of course we have Naicos whilst Joe Richards, Harrison and McInnes are going to be a very good player long-term players for us.
We will get a key forward in this upcoming draft. There's a few exciting ones there that will be available. I hope we look at a Alex Davies from the Suns as a moneyball trade for our midfield. He's only 22 and will slot in nicely with Naicos and co.We also have a gun midfielder heading to us in the 2025 draft in Thomas McGuane.
In all the doom and gloom of this season, there's still exciting times ahead.....Go Pies!!

Last edited:
Ginnivan was best on ground yesterday, he’s certainly under 25. Treloar was probably best on ground for the Bulldogs yesterday as well. I know he’s well over 25, but my point is that we’ve made some poor decisions in recent years.
we won the flag last year without Treloar, who has been gone for a few years now, and Ginni was virtually a liability on Grand Final day.

I disagree. We have some exciting talent. I think Jiath, DeMattia, Eyre, Smit, Steene, Allan in particular can be good senior players in the coming 12 to 24 months. Of course we have Naicos whilst Joe Richards, Harrison and McInnes are going to be a very good player long-term players for us.
We will get a key forward in this upcoming draft. There's a few exciting ones there that will be available. I hope we look at a Alex Davies from the Suns as a moneyball trade for our midfield. He's only 22 and will slot in nicely with Naicos and co.We also have a gun midfielder heading to us in the 2025 draft in Thomas McGuane.
In all the doom and gloom of this season, there's still exciting times ahead.....Go Pies!!
Agree. We supporters can be so fickle, myself included but having been around since the 70s things can turn good or bad quickly. It's the nature of the comp. Fly had us competing against all comers from day dot, he never had a chance to build a team or to come up with a new game plan, he didn't need to coz we were up and about from the start. I'm prepared to give him a go with a clean slate of youngsters.

If that is the price for winning a premiership, l will take it.

Still as the old saying goes, things are never as good as they seem nor as bad as they appear.

People being overly pessimistic as those who were overly optimistic about a three peat.

I am confident we can gird ourselves for another shot next year after a decent break and a better run with injuries.

If that is the price for winning a premiership, l will take it.

Still as the old saying goes, things are never as good as they seem nor as bad as they appear.

People being overly pessimistic as those who were overly optimistic about a three peat.

I am confident we can gird ourselves for another shot next year after a decent break and a better run with injuries.
We are going to have to add some quality to the midfield otherwise we won't achieve anything next year

Missing a couple …

• Bytel (not looking good so far)
  • Bobby Hill - X factor forward who is a bit hot and cold at the moment

I think you’re being harsh on Harrison, young players are always inconsistent, and so far he’s shown as much poise and promise as any 15 game player.

Quaynor isn’t in the best of form, but he’s still a decent u25 player.

But agree with your point about needing a big rebuild.
That's a generous assessment of Bobby Hill. I'd suggest his fall is as great as anybody in the team and possibly in the AFL. He is currently the 446th ranked player. Putting that into perspective, Joe Richards and Lachie Schultz are ranked higher.

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we have the worst under 25 in the Comp?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back