Do we have the worst under 25 in the Comp?

Remove this Banner Ad

Among the under 25 brigade:

Good:
  • Nick Daicos
  • Beau McCreery
  • Bobby Hill
  • Isaac Quaynor
Potential:
  • Joe Richards
  • Charlie Dean
  • Reef McInnes
  • Harvey Harrison
Hopeful (too early to determine):
  • Harry DeMattia
  • Tew Jiath
  • Ed Allan

I don't think it's a catastrophe, but it is a shallow pool of talent we have. We need to go back to the draft and find some good young talent to build around Nick for the next generation.

I remain more optimistic. Losing Murphy from this cohort doesn’t help though. Neither does losing Ginnivan and Henry.

I’d add Steene, Smit, Eyre and Macrae to the hopeful list.

Jeepers, we have some dummies here.

That list conveniently leaves off Moore, Josh Daicos, Murphy, Cox. Quaynor, Mihocek, McCreery, Noble etc.

Including Harrison as a bust is stupid, let alone including the 2022 draft bunch.

Paint the picture to suit the narrative.

Well I do appreciate your glass half full attitude.

There just seems to be way more busts than hits with our drafting.
We snagged a flag last year, which was awesome.
But bringing in a Frampton, Markov, Mitchell and the like, is not a formular for sustained success.

Eventually we need to find and grow some A grade youngsters.

And not just F/S that are gifted to us.

F/Ss aren’t a gift. You still need to acquire them through the draft, and they’re certainly not a guaranteed success as we’ve seen with Kelly, Cal & Tyler Brown, and Jaxson Barham types. Ditto academy picks.

F/Ss aren’t a gift. You still need to acquire them through the draft, and they’re certainly not a guaranteed success as we’ve seen with Kelly, Cal & Tyler Brown, and Jaxson Barham types. Ditto academy picks.

Nick Daicos was certainly a gift. We would never have gotten him without the F/S, and he's single handedly carried our team in many wins.

That’s the issue you look at most teams and they all have young stars, like guys who are really making a difference and are relied upon and delivering.
Our young guys apart from Nick are just bit players, do they contribute? Sure sometimes, but they don’t have major impact from game to game.
Personally I hate the ‘role player’ label.
I think it restricts young guys long term and allows a lot of players old and young to hide behind minimal contributions, and when they get exposed when more is required of them through injuries and the like they are simply not up to it.

A big part of that is other sides have entrusted their younger guys a little more than we have as McRae has remained loyal to the names who have kept us up since 22.
And you can’t really knock him for that as they have delivered the last 2 seasons.

So we don’t really know just how good some of the next gen can be without entrusting them with more regularity and consistency.
They’re not all gonna be Naicos but we really need them to be solid and consistent contributors in a starting 23

Moore, Daicos Bros- F/S
IQ, Cox, Checkers and JFN were not young talent found in the draft.

What "that" list clearly shows is that we are no good at identifying young talent at the draft.
It is no wonder, we keep giving away draft picks for players, our talent identification is poor.

No matter what rose colored glasses you look through, there has been way too many busts over the last decade.

I am grateful for the flag but alot of that came from finding players that filled a need.
This is vastly different from being able to find a talented 18yo.
Carlton, Melb, Richmond and Ess were finding talented 18yo’s and did nothing with them for years.
Haw have spent 4 years at the bottom to get talent to hopefully win a flag.
The analysis proves nothing, let alone an indictment of Hine.

We contend and win flags that’s the only metric needed to confirm we have our own formula for success

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nick Daicos was certainly a gift. We would never have gotten him without the F/S, and he's single handedly carried our team in many wins.
Well, that's actually not true at all. If he was just a normal draftee, we wouldn't have traded away our future first a year before, and therefore we'd have picked him with our pick 2...

It is a real concern that Reef and Richards both dropped today, not even on the extended bench. Maybe there was something ‘which was not’ glaringly bad from their game last Sat.

I’d love to know what Josh Fraser thinks of the development that has occurred this season with the under 25s in the list.

It is a real concern that Reef and Richards both dropped today, not even on the extended bench. Maybe there was something ‘which was not’ glaringly bad from their game last Sat.

I was suggesting Richards back to the VFL after last game, he's had a couple of very quiet ones. He's not great defensively or 1 on 1.

Reef simply cannot string games together without being dropped, something is seriously wrong there.

Don't listen to SEN today if you're still wearing black and white glasses.

The guys we're talking about our drafting.
I wouldn’t listen to SEN if it were the last radio station on earth.

Just wondering what input does the coach have on recruiting. My mate blames our drafting failures during the bux period on him.
Get a new mate.

Talent identification, talent development, talent retention.

All important.

This thread is fixating on talent identification, and even there it's with a very narrow view.

Yes but you stated like having those talents didn't help GWS, but didn't mention that they failed retention.
And no normal established club will bleed said top line talents like they have.

They also get an A plus for development for most of there talents. That's why clubs want them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we have the worst under 25 in the Comp?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back