Lingsface

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2005
perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Payne looked shot Hogan dominated him and they don’t have anyone else really to bring in as a tall back man. I’m all for keeping Neale Cameron but maybe given the opposition we do bring Hawkins in ?

Before you ask I don’t know who we bring out?

Maybe we start them on the field and have a small forward as sub?

I think that would endanger our greatest asset (our small forwards) for an unknown gain. Probably best to roll this into the main matchday preview thread.
I couldn’t find it sorry, but you are completely right it’s just it seemed so obvious that they were stretched down there with two tonight.

No.
Neale and Cameron are two of the most agile big men currently going around.

Hawkins over the past 18 months had been steadily regressing. Neale not only competes for the high ball, he also provides a bit of pressure on his opponent once the ball gets behind.
It also gives us the added flexibility of shifting him into the ruck for whenever Stanley needs extended minutes on the bench.

Perhaps if injury were to occur and we win the match, Hawkins gets the call but right now, our forward line is functioning very nicely indeed.

Hawkins could only replace Ollie Henry. But Hawkins did not look good in vfl unfortunately

The bigger question is do we bring in sdk and go taller in defence.
SDK or Blitz to play attacking ruckman role maybe? One to play on Daniher. I am a big SDK fan. Hopefully we can expose Zorko lack of defence like they did in the first half as well with our packed small forward line. Let Danger rest forward on him I think, he will have a field day.

The O Henry Harris Andrews matchup could decide the match. We can’t afford to play skinny. Corridor plays and even chaos balls I50 to avoid a high ball at all costs.

Last edited:
The O Henry Harris Andrews matchup could decide the match. We can’t afford to play skinny. Corridor plays and even chaos balls I50 to avoid a high ball at all costs.

O Henry to kick 2 goals. Harris Andrews to have 8 intercept marks. Both sides of the O Henry debate to claim victory.

"He's a 40 goal a year forward, that's amazing for a 22 year old".

"His opponent has been best on ground. Henry is soft and doesn't compete"

Why wouldn’t Andrews be playing on Neale?

They like to play him loose against us especially when were forced to go boundary side. Even if Henry goes with him, the size difference makes it an effective +1 for them.

I see it likely being Payne to Neale, Lester to Cameron.

Whoever has Payne has to get on their bike. So we can change the angles

O Henry to kick 2 goals. Harris Andrews to have 8 intercept marks. Both sides of the O Henry debate to claim victory.

"He's a 40 goal a year forward, that's amazing for a 22 year old".

"His opponent has been best on ground. Henry is soft and doesn't compete"

If Andrews is getting 8 intercept marks then we're probably not going to score many goals, it'd be a sign that we've kicked it in his direction up the wing roughly 20 times.

If Scott finds away to make the two of them irrelevant, it'll go a along way to getting us the win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Andrews is getting 8 intercept marks then we're probably not going to score many goals, it'd be a sign that we've kicked it in his direction up the wing roughly 20 times.

If Scott finds away to make the two of them irrelevant, it'll go a along way to getting us the win.
Has to be dangerous as the hit up / lead up forward and pull Andrews away from the Forward 50. Has to run Andrews to where the ball is not going but dangerous enough that Harris will be forced to follow. Tough gig for him

Payne looked shot Hogan dominated him and they don’t have anyone else really to bring in as a tall back man. I’m all for keeping Neale Cameron but maybe given the opposition we do bring Hawkins in ?

No, I wouldn't do it.

Three tall forwards has only ever worked in the pre-zonal defence era (Brown, Lynch, Bradshaw), and even then, Brisbane are the only team I have ever seen really make it work.

There's only so many markable kicks into the fifty each game, and most of those are brought to ground. In the modern era, where the ability to switch the play is hugely prized and defenders are much more mobile in their positioning, having a three-tall forward line allows the defenders to run off with impunity.

Even at Geelong in the 1990s, when we shifted Ablett to full-forward, we couldn't make Brownless, Ablett and Stoneham work in the one forward line - it was the end of Billy's career, really. He did still kick a few bags, but all in games where Ablett was out.

Our forward line is the one thing that has worked well all year long. Cameron, Neale, Ollie Henry and the mosquito fleet is pretty much a perfect balance.

I would not entertain it for a nanosecond

They like to play him loose against us especially when were forced to go boundary side. Even if Henry goes with him, the size difference makes it an effective +1 for them.

I see it likely being Payne to Neale, Lester to Cameron.

Whoever has Payne has to get on their bike. So we can change the angles
I will be shocked if Andrews plays on Henry.

It will be a great result for us if Neale is on Payne and Lester gets Cameron. They will run amok, and I would predict a true breakout game for Neale.

Scott is way to smart (and quietly - too ruthless) to entertain Hawkins coming in as another tall forward.

Why on earth would we do that?
Especially given that the two weakest players in our forward list at the moment are, probably, Hawkins and Neale.

If you had Naughton, Darcy and JUH, sure, I get it.

No.

Our greatest embarrassments in finals have been when we selected lopsided lineups.

The game has gone past Hawkins and, even when he's fit, every single player running out of defence goes past him, too.

Injuries have allowed us to develop a team capable of winning a premiership in a semi-Bradbury fashion.

I say dance with the one who brought you.

I will be shocked if Andrews plays on Henry.

It will be a great result for us if Neale is on Payne and Lester gets Cameron. They will run amok, and I would predict a true breakout game for Neale.

It is the match up they've gone with previously, it worked really well for them last year. Our keys were also quiet earlier in the year but I'm not reading much into that match up as Brisbane were still hung over, and they score a handful of goals.

Cameron has more trouble with a more mobile close checking defender then he does with those with true KPD size. I don't Neale has that with the scoreboard breakout game in him yet. If he does what he did last week, things will be going well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we play 3 talls up forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back