Do we play 3 talls up forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

It is the match up they've gone with previously, it worked really well for them last year. Our keys were also quiet earlier in the year but I'm not reading much into that match up as Brisbane were still hung over, and they score a handful of goals.

Cameron has more trouble with a more mobile close checking defender then he does with those with true KPD size. I don't Neale has that with the scoreboard breakout game in him yet. If he does what he did last week, things will be going well.
Wow I will be happy if Lester plays on him, Ollie was very good last final he contested everything with such ferocity!

I will be shocked if Andrews plays on Henry.

It will be a great result for us if Neale is on Payne and Lester gets Cameron. They will run amok, and I would predict a true breakout game for Neale.

I am hoping it doesn't eventuate like that because Lester is excellent on players like Cameron who love to roam around.
Can match him on the ground and do just enough to prevent aerial dominance.

This is actually my biggest concern with the game. Cameron may indeed be limited due to Lester. Hopefully Scott has some tricks up his sleeve.

I am hoping it doesn't eventuate like that because Lester is excellent on players like Cameron who love to roam around.

This is actually my biggest concern with the game. Cameron may indeed be limited due to Lester. Hopefully Scott has some tricks up his sleeve.
Cameron has a level that Lester doesn’t have for finals, he will give him a bath I think.

Does Cameron roam or play FF?

This is from ‘The Tackle’ after round 24 and the stats are interesting in regards to Cameron:

“That would be a mistake. Since being stationed at full-forward in round 15, Cameron has averaged 6.2 shots at goal per game, which would easily lead the league if held over a whole season.”

Against Port he kicked 4.3, so defintely got those 6 shots on goal he’s been averaging - so does he play deeper on Saturday night and maybe force Brisbane to change their approach to how they’d line up on him compared with roaming Cameron?

This is from ‘The Tackle’ after round 24 and the stats are interesting in regards to Cameron:

“That would be a mistake. Since being stationed at full-forward in round 15, Cameron has averaged 6.2 shots at goal per game, which would easily lead the league if held over a whole season.”

Against Port he kicked 4.3, so defintely got those 6 shots on goal he’s been averaging - so does he play deeper on Saturday night and maybe force Brisbane to change their approach to how they’d line up on him compared with roaming Cameron?

I honestly wouldn't have recognized his move to full forward because you still see him as one the links in the chain whenever we are attacking.

This is where Neale really comes into the equation. I'd like Cameron to stay as close to goal as possible because he would draw Andrews away from the likes of Henry and Neale who can really hit the scoreboard if Miers, Close and Dempsey lower the eyes.

I think since tomahawk has been out he seems to be deeper and contesting in the air more.

It is the match up they've gone with previously, it worked really well for them last year. Our keys were also quiet earlier in the year but I'm not reading much into that match up as Brisbane were still hung over, and they score a handful of goals.

Cameron has more trouble with a more mobile close checking defender then he does with those with true KPD size. I don't Neale has that with the scoreboard breakout game in him yet. If he does what he did last week, things will be going well.
Payne was in much better form and physical condition last year, which allowed Andrews more freedom.

They may do it again, but I wouldn’t.

I would play Andrews on Neale, and back Andrews to take Neale out of the game whilst also playing an intercept game.

I would be very pleased in Neale gets Payne. Payne is borderline unplayable based on his performance in their last game.

Yes, but if Cameron only played full forward all season, sides would be able to plan a hell of a lot better for it.

Besides, it's not like he has played pure FF. Full-forwards don't usually get 15+ touches.

Cameron has stayed further back while we've seen the emergence of Mannagh and a slight change in how we setup our half back wall. Stewart now starts far further up the ground, Humphries has brought in another platform to spring from and Henry/kolo/Zuthrie are back into good form.
Our half back line is closer to the middle of the ground than it was when we used Cameron as a roamer, we don't need him up there as much anymore.

I was just saying
Last week how Dixon was glaringly obvious to why we shouldn’t play Hawkins. I will take back my thinking after seeing their defence stretched, everyone so far has been right we should play to our strengths rather than guessing at weaknesses.
That is such good insight. I didnt even draw the comparison at the time.

Wow I will be happy if Lester plays on him, Ollie was very good last final he contested everything with such ferocity!
Ollie really does have aggression in him. See how he tries to shrug off tackles? It's done with explosiveness and he just jerks away from whomever is grabbing him. Likewise, his speed and launch at the ball is somewhat of a missile.

No, I wouldn't do it.

Three tall forwards has only ever worked in the pre-zonal defence era (Brown, Lynch, Bradshaw), and even then, Brisbane are the only team I have ever seen really make it work.

There's only so many markable kicks into the fifty each game, and most of those are brought to ground. In the modern era, where the ability to switch the play is hugely prized and defenders are much more mobile in their positioning, having a three-tall forward line allows the defenders to run off with impunity.

Even at Geelong in the 1990s, when we shifted Ablett to full-forward, we couldn't make Brownless, Ablett and Stoneham work in the one forward line - it was the end of Billy's career, really. He did still kick a few bags, but all in games where Ablett was out.

Our forward line is the one thing that has worked well all year long. Cameron, Neale, Ollie Henry and the mosquito fleet is pretty much a perfect balance.
It wasnt the end of billys career. Blight didnt play him much in 1993 but he became a gun centre half foward in 1994 and was easily our best player in that years grand final. He then followed up again in 1995 kicking 45 goals as the centre half foward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It wasnt the end of billys career. Blight didnt play him much in 1993 but he became a gun centre half foward in 1994 and was easily our best player in that years grand final. He then followed up again in 1995 kicking 45 goals as the centre half foward.
Yeah, he had good GFs in both 94 and 95 IMO. You make a decent point, but I should also point out here that this only really followed Stoneham's injury. Carrying 3 talls is very, very tough.

Ollie really does have aggression in him. See how he tries to shrug off tackles? It's done with explosiveness and he just jerks away from whomever is grabbing him. Likewise, his speed and launch at the ball is somewhat of a missile.
Wish he could show it. Ollie henry was the only geelong player who had a poor game against port.

Has kicked only 12 goals in his last 12 games. He is struggling.

Yeah, he had good GFs in both 94 and 95 IMO. You make a decent point, but I should also point out here that this only really followed Stoneham's injury. Carrying 3 talls is very, very tough.
Yes it did follow stonehams injury. But mensch played up foward as well.

In any case. It was a very different time.

Wish he could show it. Ollie henry was the only geelong player who had a poor game against port.

Has kicked only 12 goals in his last 12 games. He is struggling.
Poor is subjective. I noticed him being alot better than the regular season. He was grabbing the ball with much more surety - as it appeared that he had some sort of hand injury a few weeks back. I've always liked him, so this is also a subjective post.

I know he's considered our weakest forward at the moment, but gee, he's a key focus point for our players kicking inside 50 and he finds a way to kick goals most weeks - especially in that last quarter when the chips are down.

He doesn't really play like many forwards in the modern game - he moves very differently. He's quick and aggressive, with a good leap. He plays bigger and stronger than his size for sure. I almost feel like he should be a midfielder, not a forward - more a version of Dusty/Danger.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing his evolution over the years.

O Henry is the weakest link only in the fact that he really needs to work on his defensive one-on-one work.. He tends to get outmarked too often. His offensive stuff is still quite good.

We CANNOT have both he and Hawkins in the same side. Hawkins had become a liability in the forward line if the ball coming in wasn't to his advantage. He wasn't able to bring the ball to ground, struggles to put pressure on when the ball hit the ground and had ZERO effect on any pack marking situation.

Stewart is a certainty to come back in, at the expense of Mullin... DeKoning is a 50/50 shot... maybe for Touhy... I think Bews has consolidated his position, and is out best bet for Charlie Cameron..

If DeKoning comes back in, I'd still keep Blitz at fullback on Daniher, swapping into the ruck when Daniher also goes in there.

Reason why is because Jeremy is not a true KPF, he's a hybrid..... Toyota style which currently has the three highest rated Hybrid's on the Aussie car market.

Reason why is because Jeremy is not a true KPF, he's a hybrid..... Toyota style which currently has the three highest rated Hybrid's on the Aussie car market.

I think he’d be insulted to be called a Toyota hybrid isn’t there anything more upper market?

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we play 3 talls up forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back