Do we still want to finish bottom???

Remove this Banner Ad

Well let's not mention the father/son picks(EDIT:i.e.What Bruce said).......but look at the "assistance" most of the other premiers this decade have recieved through either concessions (Sydney & Brisbane) given for failing to attract supporters, players and being basket cases both on & off the field, or draft picks gained from deliberately losing (West Coast & Hawthorn).

Not to mention challengers like St.Kilda and up & comers like Carlton, Freo & Melbourne.

The only side I personally have witnessed deliberately lose a game is Melbourne. There seems to be a consessus that carlton also did. Most of the others you mention I would have thought were just shit anyway. (I hadn't heard West Coast and Hawthorn being mentioned as cheats before).

If you look at the teams that have received priority picks, we are the only one to have remained perennially shit.

In the 2004 draft we had a priority pick as did Whorethorn and Footscray. We Had picks 1 and 4. Yet look what they have done since compared to us?

Last year we had the most top 10 draft picks on our list (6 I think) yet were the worst team in the league, by a long way.

We have had our fair share of early picks but there is more to success than just getting these picks.

You need to use the pick correctly and then develop the players properly. This is where the club has failed, (amongst many other things). If we cant change that, then it doesnt matter what picks we have in future drafts. Is there really that much differences between 4 and 6 anyway?

The nature of the task ahead means that we will get early picks in the next two years without having to deliberately lose games. Being smarter and more professional as a football club is what will bring long term success, with out having to cheat and lower ourselves to the level of Carlton and Melbourne.

Recently an English cricket side was offered $8.5M to fix matches. If you want to go down that path, then at least get a decent return like that.

I'd rather us get a few more wins over pick 4 any day of the week. Who's to say pick 4 is going to be better than say pick 6 8 15 etc...
I still think we can finish at least 14th people forget that the Crows Roo's and Eagles are just as ordinary as what we have been if not worse (seeing as they have more experienced players) than us this year.

wow how do some ppl continue to miss the obvious? I'm staggered at this sentiment after all these BS years..

mind boggling..

I hope the club doesn't think that way. Would be just so dumb and typical Richmond.

Winning meaningless games against other shit or middle of the round teams that have put the cue in the rack for the season that costs us better picks/more picks (P.P). We still have the worst list in the comp, 1 win doesn't change that. Some cheap wins later on in the season that hurt us long-term will do us no good. Just like 2008/2009. All that winning culture crap that people go on about is absolute B.S. It does nothing if you don't have the talent.

You wont keep any talent if we keep losing all the time just to get a pick. Winning culture does more than what you think. If we finish bottom get pick 4 he turns out to be a dud we are back where we started.

You wont keep any talent if we keep losing all the time just to get a pick. Winning culture does more than what you think. If we finish bottom get pick 4 he turns out to be a dud we are back where we started.

We have a better chance of getting a good player at pick 4 than pick 6, pick 8, etc. Also another chance to add another quality youngster to the list with the extra pick (P.P). If a player wants to go they will go, one or 2 meaningless wins at the end of the season agaisn't other crap sides won't suddenly sway them.

We have a better chance of getting a good player at pick 4 than pick 6, pick 8, etc. Also another chance to add another quality youngster to the list with the extra pick (P.P). If a player wants to go they will go, one or 2 meaningless wins at the end of the season agaisn't other crap sides won't suddenly sway them.

I understand that we have a better chance of getting a good player at pick 4 but we have just as much chance of getting a good player at 6 or whatever other ones are available in the top 15. We can always trade of players for extra picks later in the draft. But if we can at least get a handful of wins by seasons end it will give the lads much more confidence in their ability going into next season.

I wouldn't be too stressed about losing pick 4 vs. winning a few matches then handing over the spoon to the Cows. Guys, in SA alone, the Draft is predicted to produce six youngsters that are likely to deliver a pot of gold to prospective clubs, according to media reports. This includes the following potential 1st Round Draft Picks playing in the best comp outside of the AFL:-

*Brodie Smith (Woodville West Torrens) 188cm 79kg UTILITY.
*Scott Lycett (Port Magpies) 202cm 95kg RUCKMAN/KP.
*Patrick McCarthy (Glenelg) 194cm 79kg UTILITY.
*Daniel Gorringe (Norwood) 198cm 85kg KP.
*Jared Polec (Woodville West Torrens) 188cm 77kg MIDFIELDER.
*Sam Day (STURT) 195cm 90kg KP.

Compared to last season where Trenogove and Howard were picked at no's 2 & 15 respectively, SA will deliver a talent pool deep enough to ensure our first round pick at 4, 5, 6, or 7 will add pure quality to the future success of RFC!

I understand that we have a better chance of getting a good player at pick 4 but we have just as much chance of getting a good player at 6 or whatever other ones are available in the top 15.

No we don't. Logic suggests earlier pick = better chance of getting a good player.

But if we can at least get a handful of wins by seasons end it will give the lads much more confidence in their ability going into next season.

That's what people were saying in 2008 when we won 8 out of the last 11. How did 2009 turn out? Did alot for their confidence....:eek:

That's what West Coast supporters were saying at the end of last year. Did their confidence a lot of good didn't it? They could've had an extra first-round P.P and picked up 2 quality youngsters like a Scully AND Trengove similar to what Melbourne did if they didn't keep winning meaningless games. As I said before, this "winning culture" crap means nothing if you don't have the talent in the first place to build on.

Whether we finish is where we finish. The better the draft picks the better the chance of a standout player particularly top 7 in a normal year and maybe top 4 in a compromised year IMO historically.

Having said this getting confidence from match wins is absolutely rubbish. These youngsters have come into their club because of the competitiveness largely so they know how to win. You only have to see the way Martin goes about it he isn't going to roll over. The Tigers showed more heart than Hawthorn and Port even though we had no wins. So saying a win will improve confidence is absolutely fiction. Players can have good games and lose , they can have bad games and win.

The team can play well as a team but it does not mean you win a premiership. Premierships are not won on emotion. If they were we would win every year on our passion alone. So I think this infatuation of the score at the end of the game is ignorant regarding the development of the youngsters to build a team capable of winning a premiership which is what we all are here for!!!

they have 1,2,3,5,7,9.
None of those players listed are close to the quality of the player we will be able to get at 4, except for Sam Day who will be gone by then.
Bennell or Parker will suit me just fine.
We will finish bottom and we won't need to tank to make it their either.

No we don't. Logic suggests earlier pick = better chance of getting a good player.

That's what people were saying in 2008 when we won 8 out of the last 11. How did 2009 turn out? Did alot for their confidence....:eek:

That's what West Coast supporters were saying at the end of last year. Did their confidence a lot of good didn't it? They could've had an extra first-round P.P and picked up 2 quality youngsters like a Scully AND Trengove similar to what Melbourne did if they didn't keep winning meaningless games. As I said before, this "winning culture" crap means nothing if you don't have the talent in the first place to build on.
It also suggests that having pick 4 gives you a better chance of picking who you want than if you had pick 6.

Having said this getting confidence from match wins is absolutely rubbish. These youngsters have come into their club because of the competitiveness largely so they know how to win. You only have to see the way Martin goes about it he isn't going to roll over. !

You're misinterpreting the word "confidence", any one of our players would fuel their way to mars with their passion (well, maybe not Sanchez), what it means in this context is confidence with the zones and game plan, at the start of the season all the players, youngsters particularly were worried about where they needed to be or weren't, compare that with the Port game where our players were running away from their men to cover other holes in the zone and back up teammates, that is confidence we're talking about.

Anything above pick 4 this draft is, in straight out set to be a gun terms, crap. Let's hope we pluck some more Nason's though eh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I think Mathews said, these days there is an over emphasis on zones strategies etc.. Unless you have the cattle with the basics -marking, kicking reading the ball, fitness and speed, you are kidding yourself against the likes of a full strength Geelong.

As for the picks, people will say what they like to suit there own agenda, the number one pick is the No.1 pick for a number of reasons. Just look at Hodge, Gibbs, Deledio, Goddard, Cooney- at times a class above their peers.

Even in this draft to me from what I have read there appears to be definite two tier of ratings even amongst the top 8 in the sense such and there is top 3 group and a top 8 group. So that may change throughout the year but when the picks are made I would be surprised if there wasn't a general consensus of who was top 4 and who are top 8 through most football observors. You only have to have a look at the Phantom reliability statics!!

Just a question, has anyone from the AFL actually confirmed that we'll get the second round PP. So far I haven't seen anything on the AFL site that says this is the case, it seems that people have just assumed that we'll get it.

they have 1,2,3,5,7,9.
None of those players listed are close to the quality of the player we will be able to get at 4, except for Sam Day who will be gone by then.
Bennell or Parker will suit me just fine.
We will finish bottom and we won't need to tank to make it their either.

Unsure what you mean by that, especially when the names I mentioned are comparable to SA's talent pool of 2000 where Didak was chosen at 3, Motlop at 8, Shaun Burgoyne at 12 and Scott Thompson at 16.

I don't believe we've ever wanted to finish bottom. More accepted it ,as the most probable outcome, from the way we are going about developing our young players/gameplan.

We are not tanking and will not tank. I don't believe the concept would sit comfortably with those currently in charge of RFC.

However I fully expect in the last few games (4-6), we will see some better players rested. As those who have yet to demonstrate enough to justify remaining on an AFL list, are given the opportunity to save their careers.:eek::D

I' sick of coming last. I think each spoon should cancel out a flag. Then we'd see which club has a better record. We don't actually have many spoons, but one more is one too many for me.
Hear hear.

Worst thing about modern footy, that winning the spoon has become a good thing.

as long as the team is having an honest crack every week, i don't care if we finish bottom or not this year, i've almost seen enough to suggest we'll be in a good place going forward.

if we try and finish on the bottom i'll be unimpressed

Hear hear.

Worst thing about modern footy, that winning the spoon has become a good thing.

have always been of the opinion that a spoon should HURT
ie LOSE a draft pick instead of get the best one

- perhaps have 3 priority picks if you get 3 spoons in a row or 3 in 5 yrs -ie basket case rebuild. enough to have to rebuild at least once without being tarnished, as you should be.

Or ease up the salary cap for a couple of years, or give a preferential draw or extra home games.

For us well - that would cost us some of our favorite players I guess, but look at Melbourne sans spoon picks, and Carltank for that matter.

Obviously we all want to see continued improvement from all of the young guys but just think how handy that priority pick would be as a bargaining tool come trade week..

If we are showing huge improvement and string a couple of wins together in the next few weeks then brilliant keep going but if we get nearer the end of the season and we're still under the priority limit then I'd be giving serious consideration to some interesting 'experimenting' for the last couple of games..

Seriously gotta think how we can best attack not just next season and beyond but also trade week and draft day.. That extra pick could do so much for us in a variety of ways....

I wouldn't be too stressed about losing pick 4 vs. winning a few matches then handing over the spoon to the Cows. Guys, in SA alone, the Draft is predicted to produce six youngsters that are likely to deliver a pot of gold to prospective clubs, according to media reports. This includes the following potential 1st Round Draft Picks playing in the best comp outside of the AFL:-

*Brodie Smith (Woodville West Torrens) 188cm 79kg UTILITY.
*Scott Lycett (Port Magpies) 202cm 95kg RUCKMAN/KP.
*Patrick McCarthy (Glenelg) 194cm 79kg UTILITY.
*Daniel Gorringe (Norwood) 198cm 85kg KP.
*Jared Polec (Woodville West Torrens) 188cm 77kg MIDFIELDER.
*Sam Day (STURT) 195cm 90kg KP.

Compared to last season where Trenogove and Howard were picked at no's 2 & 15 respectively, SA will deliver a talent pool deep enough to ensure our first round pick at 4, 5, 6, or 7 will add pure quality to the future success of RFC!

lol talk about the here and now. what happens next yr when all indicators suggest we are in for another lean yr.

its amazing here we are 24 yrs later and supporters demading we make the exact same mistakes that have plauged us since the inception of the draft.

properly bottom out take the picks and dont rise until you have the quality you need to at least challenge for top 4. at a well run club it would mean 3 yrs of abject failure. but hey were richmond after 28 yrs of failure doing basically the same thing lets do it some more.

this club has never once in the history of the draft bottomed out and invested in youth. and people wonder why we cant make a dent on other teams. or wonder how is it possible for clubs to bottom out after us and go past us on the way back up. ffs people lets jst ****ing once try it. what the **** is 3 yrs when you have been truing to find a way for 28.

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we still want to finish bottom???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back