Do you genuinely loathe an AFL team? If so, could date/marry someone that loved that team?

Remove this Banner Ad

i hate richmond with a passion. hate everything about them. the coach, players and supporters.
my wife barracks for richmond. she went to bed about half time on thursday night as she couldnt stand the smile on my face sitting on the couch next to her. i enjoy watching the tigers lose like that, almost as much as watching the hawks win.
our 2 kids love the hawks also so the wife doesnt get much love at home when it comes to footy season.

This is ridiculous. Some people would sacrifice love for their hate of particular team !? There are more significant rifts that one could have with their lover:

- religious tensions
- political tensions
- racial tensions

If you think its problematic that an Eagles and Dockers supporter marry. How about if a Muslim and Catholic marry ? or a Serbian and Croatian ?

My ex and her brothers were collingwood supporters. Every year they teased me by saying "When is Essendon going to win an anzac day match" Use to piss me right off. So yes i could date/marry someone from a club i loath.

Has to be Port. Seriously there is no way on this earth that I could have a realationship with a hard core, footy tragic Port Supporter. A meak mild one (unheard of maybe) Being a hard crows girl the relationship would be doomed before the first game of the AFl season started. Lucky for me I met my Crows man going to Crows games so there were no arguments on who our kids were going for. Our 12yo isnt quite as passionate as us into it as much but loves wearing all his crows gear to footy training after a showdown win as a lot of his team mates are Port.

My partner and mother to my two sons is a Collingwood supporter...... one eyed, clueless but she does have a full set of teeth.

You can't have a footy conversation with her because she gets upset at the thought of mentioning anything wrong with her team.

She's a sook and a baby and when the pies lose I don't rib her anymore, I just politely say "better luck next time" :D. You can hear the blood boil inside her. ;)

The boys will be like dad and smart enough to pick the Bombers as their team of choice and not suffer a lifetime of disappointment like mum.

You can't have a footy conversation with her because she gets upset at the thought of mentioning anything wrong with her team.

I know what you mean. A few years back my family was on the bus in Footscray heading home after we beat the pies. My dad mentioned how Buckley gets a lot of kicks from being on his own and how Hirdy earns his kicks by getting into the pack. Well this collingwood supporter really cracked it. She was carrying on that much that the driver kicked her off. Talk about feral.

Am fairly relieved that most of the posters who've responded to this thread seem to have a reasonable grip on reality - footy is great but of course a relationship is always going to come first! Like anything else of course if I met someone with the same interests as me, it would make it more enjoyable having someone to share it with, but it's not a requirement.

I think that if someone is important to you, you would take an interest in the things that they're passionate about even if you don't share that passion yourself. It's about give and take, and transcending our more selfish sides.

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you genuinely loathe an AFL team? If so, could date/marry someone that loved that team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back