Premiership Player
Mar 31, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth
Hey Guys,

Just out of pure curiosity, I was interested to see the result in this question.

I thought far too many former players (notice how I didn't use the term expert) wrote Buckley off as a coach at round 5, and drew comparisons to his predecessor who'd coached for 28 years compared to Bucks's five weeks.

Are there any Collingwood supporters who doubt he has what it takes to build on from the 2010 Premiership?

I think you'll find he was written off after the blues game in round 3 and everyone was laying the boots in. Going into the season a prelim would have been a pass mark however given the injuries and everything else Collingwood had to deal with I think we had pretty decent season. The next year or two will be the true test and I am confident Bucks can steer us in the right direction, I think making some plays in the FA and trade week is a positive sign.

Bit hard to tell after the year we had with injuries but he handled that very well and we still made a prelim. Gut feeling is that he will be a very good coach but won't be able to tell until he has an uninterrupted go at it with a full list. Happy he's the coach (and yes I loved Mick as well).

Anyone just has to watch the West Coast Semi Final to see his coaching IMO. There were a few parts of the game where the structures and changes just shone through.

One thing Buckley will have over Malthouse is his ability to sustain relationships with former players that are coaches. Sando Watters and Neeld. I think we will look forward to some very healthy trading relationships with those clubs.

I dont like the way we played the whole year apart from a few quaters here and there. Our talent alone won us many games. Our gameplan was horrid simple as that.

ATM I dont rate him. I hope he proves me wrong.

Buckley did not set a foot wrong as a coach.

Yes, some of the gameplan stinks and kickouts (defending against, and excecuting) was horrendous as well as our midfield accountability and forward entry but despite that I think it will sort itself out when Bucks gets more experience and the team starts gelling together.

The biggest positives I saw was his boldness to debut players in important games, not afraid to put players out of their comfort zone (Goldsack - which I all started a thread about in 2011 ago on BF suggesting that the Sack should be moved to the forward line and everyone laughed at me saying what a stupid idea), and calling the hard shots like dropping Dawes and bringing in Paine.

Anyway - TLDR; Early issues that will be sorted out when experience is gained, positive signs all there.

Yes, some of the gameplan stinks and kickouts (defending against, and excecuting) was horrendous as well as our midfield accountability and forward entry but despite that I think it will sort itself out when Bucks gets more experience and the team starts gelling together.

If and when these areas improve I will reassess. As it stands we have gone backwards in all those areas. However I dont believe in honeymoon periods when you take over a team of the calibre of ours. Coaches should be expected to perform immediately, if they cannot then they are simply not ready to be senior coaches.

We were expected to improve in 2012 but were hamstrung by injuries however that is no excuse for falling away in all the said areas.

The biggest positives I saw ... calling the hard shots like dropping Dawes and bringing in Paine.

This took far too long to happen to be considered a positive, dawes didn't have to regain form to get back into the team as there was no vfl game that week and it was heading into the finals so he was always going to come back in. I think Dawes should thank Wood for being so inept at football, if Wood wasn't such a crab Dawes would have been dropped halfway through the season and made to earn his spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If and when these areas improve I will reassess. As it stands we have gone backwards in all those areas. However I dont believe in honeymoon periods when you take over a team of the calibre of ours. Coaches should be expected to perform immediately, if they cannot then they are simply not ready to be senior coaches.

We were expected to improve in 2012 but were hamstrung by injuries however that is no excuse for falling away in all the said areas.
Injuries cause disruption to not only the players who are injured, but the ones who have to fill in for them. They then are in and out of the side. The whole team had no continuity, and that is certainly something that you cannot afford when you have a new coach implementing a new game plan.

Injuries are not an excuse. They are a reason.

I would have preferred to see an undecided option because in reality, with the season we had and all of the disruptions I'd say it's pretty hard to assess at this stage. Tactically he seemed far more flexible than Mick ever was and you'd have to think that he's been assessing what works and what doesn't. The problem with that is that when half your team has spent big slices of the year in the local hospital it's pretty hard to get anything much going. All I can assess him on at this stage is 1. His media performance... Tick, 2. Our finishing position... Tick. Had to vote yes at this stage.

I rate him.

- Trying to de-program Malthouse's "Avoid the middle at all costs" gameplan
- Making Goldsack a permanent member of the starting 22
- Covering for the worst injury list in the comp for 2/3 of the season
- Actually making moves during games when things aren't going right
- Beating Geelong twice when Mick couldn't once last year (kinda cancelled out by Blues though)
- Dealing with the media expertly
- Keeping basically all the most important parts of the list in tact
- Snared a 'name' player in his first trade period

Pretty hard to fault him based on what we've seen thus far.

I rate him.

- Beating Geelong twice when Mick couldn't once last year (kinda cancelled out by Blues though)

I rate him.

I think it was near faultless performance by Bucks over the year given the huge number of challenges. His handling of the media was superb, and the way he was able to diffuse the malt house criticism after the Carlton loss was first class.

However I think we won't really know if he can coach well until a few years down the track as he puts his stamp on the club, but he's off to a great start in my view.

Onya bucks

We ended the 2011 season in a fair degree of disarray IMO

Game plan well and truly sussed.

Losing a grannies with the potential psychological fallout from that.

Most of the assistant coaches leaving.

Inheriting a list that had been drummed in a now defunct game plan by the one coach, who had assumed father figure for the vast majority of them.

Dealing with the childish, selfish petulance of MM

Handling all the expectation of the Collingwood army and the haters all lined up lying in barely disguised wait, including some of our very own

Season crippled by injury

Bucks showed he was all class off the field, showed some refreshing flexibility in the coaches box and IMO made a great start to his coaching career.

I'm sure he won over all but the most vehement of his detractors.

Buckley handles the media as good as any but parts of his gameplan stink especially in defense. He is a very good bloke i may add as well.

This took far too long to happen to be considered a positive, dawes didn't have to regain form to get back into the team as there was no vfl game that week and it was heading into the finals so he was always going to come back in. I think Dawes should thank Wood for being so inept at football, if Wood wasn't such a crab Dawes would have been dropped halfway through the season and made to earn his spot.

I agree I think this is one of Buckley's mistakes for his debut year in which he was going to make a few just like very 1st year coach has, after 1 season I don't think you can say definitively either way.

After all the changes to coaching panel, loss of players (Leon + Brown) then all the injuries and also teams figuring out the game plan at the end 2011, Buckley to make a prelim did excellent.

In saying that I do think Bucks will be a good coach but is still learning and even this next year he will make mistakes, I can also see that there a quite a few things he needs to improve on as Krueger has stated and if he doesn't then we re assess in 2-3 years.

I dont like the way we played the whole year apart from a few quaters here and there. Our talent alone won us many games. Our gameplan was horrid simple as that.

ATM I dont rate him. I hope he proves me wrong.

Im truly shocked that you would have this point of view.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Do you rate Buckley as coach?

Back